back to article Samsung samples SSDs for SCCs

Samsung has begun punting a compact 32GB solid-state drive card at makers of Small, Cheap Computers. The SSD - which is also sampling in 8GB and 16GB versions - incorporates Samsung's multi-level cell (MLC) Flash chips. MLCs are usually held to be less responsive than single-level cell chips, but they're key to getting as much …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge
    Linux

Over complicated for an SCC

The linux kernel has drivers for nand flash. The flash chip could go directly on the laptop PCB, then they could remove the pointless sata->nand controller chip, the sata signal+power connector and anything that plugs into it.

2. Stu
    Thumb Up

Thats awesome!

The SATA connection on the rear says it all for this little marvel. Give it 5-10 years, and we'll have Terabyte versions of these babies, perhaps marginally bigger, multi layers of chips.

Then kiss goodbye to the troublesome, power hungry spinning disk horrors that began life as the winchester drive (disclaimer: possibly not historically accurate).

Think about what it'll mean to PC form factors in general - no longer will we need 3.5inch drive cages.

The normal USB based SSDs will likely also spell the end for optical formats too, so no longer will we be needing the 5.25inch cages either.

I know small form factor/mobile machines have been around for donkeys, but this could truly mark the beginning of a complete exodus from olde form factoring.

Very cool, a great move there Samsung.

3. Albert

This is interesting

I expect a lot of SCCs are not used for high speed application requirements and so the speed drop of MLC should easily be off set by the reduction in price. Also, the standard SATA connectors means volumes can rise due to manufacturing the same part for more OEMS.

Now all I have to do is decide if I will wait to get my SCC based on having a larger drive with a standard connector allowing easy upgrade or just go for it and enjoy it now. The eternal technology question.

4. b

winchester

the name "winchester" came from the very first hard drives being 30kb removable and 30kbs static. i think the winchester was a 0.3 cal, so that's how the name came about.

..and the term "bug", came from an actual bug that flew into an early computer..

yawwwn...i.t. mythology!

5. b
    Thumb Up

bandwidth

70-90mb/s is more than enought to compete with most HD's today.

45mb/s isn't even too bad, but 25mb/s i think is a leeedle too low..i guess if all you were using your baby laptop was for browsing and emailing, that shouldn't even be a problem either.

yummy, yummy, i love SSD's!

cheers,

bill,

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

6. WonkoTheSane
    Happy

@Flocke Kroes

You mean like the original EeePC 701, which has a 4GB SSD on the motherboard?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Stu (that's awesome)

Scamps has been talking about you. On Yahoo.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like