back to article Cyanogen parts ways with its founder

Mobile OS outfit Cyanogen has made further sackings and parted ways with founder Steve Kondik. A post by CEO Lior Tal says the company is closing its Seattle office and consolidating a single Palo Alto abode. “The purpose of the change is to improve the communication and performance of the team which will now operate under …

1. a_yank_lurker

Translation

Liquidation to follow in a few months

2. sad_loser
    Unhappy

The curse of M$ investment?

Invest, extend, extinguish

The new business model!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: The curse of M$ investment?

No, the curse of inept business partners.

Link

1. CAPS LOCK

"No, the curse of inept business partners."

No, the curse of Microsoft. It happens too often for it to always be 'the other guy'. You go to bed with Microsoft - you wake up lying naked in the gutter with no memory of what happened.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, the curse of inept business partners.

Interesting link, but I would doubt the words "inept". From the email:

With plenty of cash in the bank, the new guys tore the place down and will go and do whatever they are going to do. It's probably for the best and I wish them luck, but what I was trying to do, is over.

The clue is in "plenty of money in the bank". The people that were taking over were not interested in product or anything long term: they were looking to cash in. As soon as money appears in something that you have developed, be careful to retain absolute control or it WILL go sideways - I've seen it too.

Of course, it didn't help that we made the mistake of using HSBC as bank. Never again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Yes, Windows Phone really sunk Cyanogen. Maybe it was just a very little percentage of "nerds" looked for a Cyanogen phone? And some of them were even driven away because as soon as they see something alike "M$" they freak out? While mobe makers were in the uncomfortable position of "displeasing" Google if they looked for alternatives?

Android now is in the same position Windows was - you may not like it, but most people will use it anyway, because it comes pre-installed on most devices, and because almost all of your friends use it. And Google is very interested in sinking any competition.

Thereby, look at Mountain View, not Redmond....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can confirm your first paragraph. I certainly did.

At least you can mostly de-Google an Android phone. The same data slurp cannot be removed from windows. Hoping Microsoft grows up on the slurping and GUI and decide to reverses their bad decisions of late.

1. RyokuMas
          Facepalm

"At least you can mostly de-Google an Android phone."

Great! What's the url for the vetted Android apps store that isn't Google Play, please?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Which type of "vetted" are you after? One that still ensures that only Google can spy on you, or are there any other criteria you're interested in?

2. Vic

Great! What's the url for the vetted Android apps store that isn't Google Play, please?

Enjoy.

Vic.

3. David Roberts

Puzzled

Thought Cyanogen was an Android distribution, not a seperate OS?

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Puzzled

CyanogenOS is the name of the commercial version of Cyanogenmod. So yes, it's a fork of Android, not really that separate.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

So, what will this mean for Cyanogen?

Sinking or swimming?

1. tin 2

Most definitely sinking. And not even because of this, because their "product" isn't very good any more.

5. tin 2

"improve the communication and performance of the team"

Not sure how getting rid of some of them improves that...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Considering that "teleworking" and video chat was supposed to be the holy grail of cutting cost, improving productivity and working conditions, it;s interesting how many IT companies are consolidating sites. It might be more to do with site/building running costs, but "letting people go" because a site closed rather than working from home sounds like it's as much about reducing headcount as anything else.

The problem is that reducing headcount by closing a site many miles from the remaining sites means you lose most or all of the people from the closed site, no matter who they are or how good they are,

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearly someone wasn't being a "team player".

3. Fungus Bob
      Boffin

>"improve the communication and performance of the team"

>Not sure how getting rid of some of them improves that...

They were Kinks in the Hose of Progress.

6. Disconn3ct

owns the twitter account?

It was his long before the corporation.. Ditto his IRC handle, etc etc.

7. The_Idiot

Hmmm...

"A post by CEO Lior Tal says the company is closing its Seattle office and consolidating a single Palo Alto abode... Folks who work in Seattle will be offered the chance to make the move south."

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-seattle-rent-trends/

As of October 2016, average apartment rent within the city of of Seattle, WA is $2133.

As of October 2016, average apartment rent within the city of of Palo Alto, CA is $3224

So they're giving those staff 'offered the chance' generous pay rises too, huh? Huh?

Ah. Riiight...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was under the impression Kondik left a long time back to focus on being hired by samsung in 2011 for lots o money... Did that not last long or did he come back...?

It did feel like 2011-2012 onwards things slowed down a lot and the number of officially supported devices left a fair few still capable devices behind (unless someone compiled and baked in the required drivers).

I hope they do continue, they introduced a fair few android features that eventually became part of android, many custom roms still use it as a base, so i hope they stick around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon