back to article Google proudly regards dented shovel as Flash lies supine on the floor

Google's long-promised farewell-to-Flash took another step last week , with the Chocolate Factory announcing it's off-by-default for most users, in most cases. From Chrome 55, Google's browser will check sites to see if they support HTML5. If so, Chrome will run the auto-play video ad proceed to play video; if not, the user …

1. dajames

Chrome will run the auto-play video ad ...

You make a good point.

The good thing about Flash content is that if you don't install the plugin you don't have to see it. I hope that all browsers will soon offer a means to prevent HTML content from auto-playing.

I hope ... but I'm not holding my breath ...

1. Mark 85

Re: Chrome will run the auto-play video ad ...

It's in Google's best interest to have the ads...err.. videos auto-play. So, not holding your breath for them is probably a good idea.

2. doke

For mozilla and palemoon, put this in your user.js, or do it through about:config.

user_pref("media.autoplay.enabled", false);

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

I suspect it'll be like "Do Not Track".

If your browser is made by Microsoft, it'll prompt you for it on first use.

If your browser is made by any of the other usual suspects, it'll be on by default and the switch will be buried deep in the configuration options where you'll need a torch and dungeon map to find it.

The W3C will then rule that the MS setting can be ignored and worked around for some bullshit reason[1] or other.

[1] Or, in other words: "We've taken a massive bribe".

1. Allonymous Coward

it'll be on by default and the switch will be buried deep in the configuration options where you'll need a torch and dungeon map to find it

Beware of the leopard.

2. tom dial Silver badge

Now if others, like Comcast Xfinitiy would do likewise. A few months back, Comcast "upgraded" and "improved" Xfinity web applications, which never before had the "benefits" of Flash. Now they do, and now they will no longer run on Linux versions of Chrome and Firefox because the latest available version is too old. That includes the schedule display/channel select application and also the application needed to report a problem or file a service request.

1. Mark 85

Comcast is still behind the times, I see. Somewhat expected from I've seen of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Now they do, and now they will no longer run on Linux versions of Chrome and Firefox because the latest available version is too old

Adobe resumed (public) Linux support a couple of months ago - PPAPI 32 & 64 bit versions of Flash Player 23 for Linux are available here:

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They're also doing Netscape (ie Firefox) NPAPI releases for 32/64-bit Linux from Flash Player 24 onwards - betas are here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

3. Tom 38
      Facepalm

A few months back, Comcast "upgraded" and "improved" Xfinity web applications, which never before had the "benefits" of Flash.

Chillax, the use of Flash is just temporary whilst they get the Silverlight version fully working.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile Google still relies on flash itself: https://www.google.com/finance

1. lurker

That page works fine for me, and I disabled flash in chrome years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> That page works fine for me, and I disabled flash in chrome years ago.

The finance app?

Either it doesn't or you didn't.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Vendor management tools

I wish companies such as Cisco & EMC would get the message and stop using Flash for their management tools. Heck, even VMWare knows it has to kill its dependence on Flash.

5. normanicus

So, how come google.co.uk/finance still uses Flash?

6. TRT Silver badge

Flash...

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back its body...

7. RedCardinal

Use what? Oh, Google Chrome. *Loses interest*

8. Starting

Autoplay No

It's against web accessibility guidelines. Google would get hammered for making videos autoplay.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like