back to article Doctor AI will see you now: US military vets will be diagnosed by deep-learning bots

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has signed a five-year deal with Flow Health, an AI company, to develop personalized healthcare plans for veterans using deep learning. Deep learning is a tool in machine learning that is useful for sifting through huge heaps of data to find useful information. Flow Health is focusing …

1. David 132 Silver badge
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oblig XKCD

meh.. xkcd really isn't that funny.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"xkcd really isn't that funny"

Jealous much?

2. a_yank_lurker

Malpractice?

Who gets sued for malpractice when the AI misdiagnoses a problem? Some health issues are not very easy to diagnose especially at the onset. How many diseases initially have flu like symptoms?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Malpractice?

Just diagnose everything as PTSD. Voila. Done.

This is not in jest unfortunately - issues related to exposure to chemicals from the idiotic USA army habit to burn all trash in a pit at the edge of (dosing it in fuel) camp were initially diagnosed as PTSD.

2. kain preacher

does not matter since federal law prohibits VA Dr from malpractice.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why do people always bring up liability? It doesn't matter as long as there's less overall liability. But the answer would be both the software company and the VA, because that's how lawsuits work, irrespective of indemnity clauses.

I don't know, but somehow I expect that the health software does a bit more than an inner join on symptoms and diseases.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right, kick ass.

Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're f***d up.

What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

But don't worry, scrote. Watson's gonna take care of your s***t and all.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

That's de department that tries to dump veterans by the wayside ASAP

It's like I'm really living in a Philip K. Dick story.

5. WereWoof

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency" - EMH, Voyager

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

U.S. Depertment of Veterans Affairs Budget Request Fiscal Year 2017

Wars are costly. In many ways.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Weasel alert

Thanks for the link, but let's put it in context. The 2017 VA budget is $182bn to be specific, a small fraction of US healthcare spending. That's a 5% increase over this year, also low by US healthcare standards.

Still, is our VA providing good care? AFAIK no. And I have no doubt Deepmind will help bring the UK VA down to our low standards. And raise costs, cos high-tech AI...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Weasel alert

I think you'll find that medical staff are both expensive and hard to come by. Like autonomy in transportation there's a lot of reason to hope medical AI can work.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comedians have already figured out how medical AI will work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpClbqc4QY

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like