back to article Axel Springer boss defends Facebook in fake news controversy

One of Silicon Valley’s harshest and most powerful critics has leapt to its defence over the “fake news” controversy. Mathias Döpfner, CEO of the German giant publishing group Axel Springer, says Facebook must retain the liability privileges it enjoys as an internet platform - rather than be reclassified as a publisher. …

1. Christian Berger

One should note that Axel Springer...

...publishes quite some fake newspapers on dead wood. The most famous one is "BILD".

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: One should note that Axel Springer...

Indeed. And the UK version Auto Express licenses the format. Full of BS, fake drive tests and photoshop images.

2. Captain DaFt

Meanwhile:

FaceBook's actively blocking access to a Fake News filter.

Sounds like they're really committed, doesn't it?

3. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Up

On Brexit

We are better off than the rest of Europe now, and in 5 years we'll be hell of a lot better off.

And that's not a fake story.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: On Brexit

And that's not a fake story.

I agree. It's speculation.

2. William 3 Bronze badge

Re: On Brexit

Didn't you know that's it's "racist" to want the UK to forge it's own trade with Africa, Asia, The Far East rather than give preferential treatment to the White Countries of Europe?

At least that's the argument the remain camp give, totally flawed as it is.

4. William 3 Bronze badge

Fake News? That will be all of them then.

Didn't the Guardian run an article based off a hoax by a troll account from Twitter simply because it suited their narrative.

Why yes, yes indeed.

Didn't the BBC attempt to claim that the scandal in Rotherham wasn't racially based, and no racism was involved, despite it being 98% Pakistani Muslims abusing 98% poor white young girls because they, like the police and social services who failed those girls, were more frightened of "offending" certain people than they were concerned about a massive paedophile ring badly abusing children.

Why yes, yes indeed.

Picking on Facebook, which isn't a News outlet for "Fake News" whilst the mainstream media are peddling the shit left right & centre seems like massive deflection tactics in my humble opinion.

And before you decide to push your own narrative at me, telling me how wrong my "opinion" is, let me clarify this straight away "go fuck yourself if you think my opinion is wrong".

5. nijam Silver badge

> It compared Google to a protection racket

What an irony - Springer is one of the publishers that many academics want Universities to stop dealing with, precisely because the academic journals they publish practice exactly the same kind of "blackmail".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like