back to article American supremacy, space, liability, funding, openness – AI gurus lay it all out to US senators

At a US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation hearing this week chaired by Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), artificial intelligence experts were grilled on how to keep the US ahead of its competitors. AI is advancing at an increasing pace. Although research began in the 1940s, recent advances in computational power …

1. elDog

Presentation to the US congress? Beneficial to society?

"but the idea is that if the US government can get a grip on the current trends now, it’ll be able to capitalize on AI in a way that is beneficial to society"

There is something that doesn't compute in that snippet. The current congress is totally interested in lining its own pockets and those of its bedmates.

And then, to expect that those lobbyist/lawyers-turned legislators know anything about stuff like logic, facts, rational thinking, etc. Actually, they may be the true definition of "artificial intelligence".

1. Gray
      Holmes

Re: Presentation to the US congress? Beneficial to society?

the government has a role to play in democratizing AI, to stop knowledge being locked away in the hands of a few major companies

Bwaa-ha-haa-haaa! The role? Tax the living bejezus out of the peasants, ramp up US university research grants, grant patents for the University framework developments, license the publicly-funded discoveries to mega-corps who lure University researchers away to Corporate development labs. Result: corporate exploitation of proprietary AI applications. Trump that!

2. Youngone Silver badge

elDog is quite right. and the other part that caught my eye was "chaired by Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)", which made me immediately think that Weird Ted has started his run for the 2020 Republican nomination early.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree... Look at the recent indifference expressed by US-Govt-Inc over regulation of IoT. When we factor in the quote below, what's going to happen next? At best nothing... At worst special interests will get looked after by US-Govt-Inc as per usual. I've never felt less optimistic / enthusiastic about tech adding to the future of humanity AS A WHOLE... Example: Google AI Deepmind medical R&D will turn out to be of primary benefit to the elite.

....."Brockman warned that the government has a role to play in democratizing AI, to stop knowledge being locked away in the hands of a few major companies, and it should continue funding universities.".....

1. You aint sin me, roit

AI is “available to the bad guys too,”

"It’s important that the US takes control, maintains competitiveness, and becomes a leader in such a powerful area of technology."

As Brexit is currently all the rage, I suppose that would be called Project Fear.

I'm not saying that the US shouldn't plough loads of cash into emerging technologies. I'm not even saying that there aren't bad men out there who will attempt to use technological advances for their own means (as there always have been).

But "take control"? Like they took control over nuclear energy/weapons development? Even North Korea has the bomb. And AI is much "easier" to work on - all you need is some computers and a few clever people...

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"The current congress is totally interested in lining its own pockets and those of its bedmates."

A boatload of AI hype sounds ideal then! (I expect cheap fusion reactors to appear before anything remotely resembling "intelligence" in an artificial system.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think it can be stopped. The correct approach to AI,

which is unkown to me and apparently everyone, doesn't cost millions or billions or whatever companies and governments advertise. So in time someone will find it, most likely on accident. What puzzles me is the apparent belief that true AI will be digital and not analog and organic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What puzzles me is the apparent belief that true AI will be digital and not analog and organic.

There is unlikely to be special sauce to be found. It's computation. Digital, analog, organic, whatever - that's unimportant (except that the symbolic part is sure to be emergent, not a primary element, which is why going from the top down fails abysmally in many ways but still caves off fruitful specialized tools). The question is how to build the bag of tricks that gives rise to "general intelligent" behaviour. What is important, and what not, what can and should be specified à priori and what not, and what can only be constructed while the proto-intelligent agent is embodied in the real world - these are major questions to be studied, but by engineering and research teams, not some loner prof. Unless there really IS a special sauce...

See also: "Undebuggability and Cognitive Science" (Chris Cherniak) and "Elephants don't play Chess" (Rodney Brooks)

2. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Fixed that for you...

"I expect cheap fusion reactors to appear before anything remotely resembling "intelligence" appears in congress.)

Fixed that for you...

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The technology is still in its early days"

And has been for decades.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No worries.

Modern AI systems rely on the use of mathematical concepts & techniques, and we've already seen how well governments have understood other areas of IT that are similarly dependent on the underlying maths.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...but the idea is that if the US government can get a grip on the current trends now, it’ll be able to capitalize on AI in a way that is beneficial to society."

Like implanting some intelligence in the Trumpinator?

But seriously, I can't see any government succeeding in getting a grip on current trends. They haven't thus far, and we seem to be well into the early stages of the Acellerando. In the short term (the next couple of decades), things will only change even faster, be harder to 'get a grip on' - and progress will be lead by companies (who will buy what government isnt already in their pocket). Which thought makes this lefty a somewhat glum girl.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

The motives are many

Greed, Fear, Narcissism & Self-promotion, Nationalism, Hubris, American Exceptionalism, a craven and ultimately doomed desire to remain post-WWII top dog and for some the wish to be at the trough of government largesse (a trough filled with money that doesn't exist) -- all can be detected in the quotes. There sure is interest to Do The Right Thing too, so let's not be too negative.

Ultimately, this is exactly the same show as the run during the start of Japans "5th Generation Project" in the early 80s when AI "was just a decade away" (I think the lead-in images were styled the same as the one see here at El Reg).

A Great Nipponese Leap Forward would be based on powerful Logic Programming systems (actually back then, only Prolog - Logic Programming has been extended by a large set of new tools and logics since). Special hardware would greatly increase the LIPS (logical inference per second) number and open up new opportunities in all technological areas.

US persons of influence heard about this, possibly read some books making great predictions ("The 5th Generation" by Feigenbaum & McCorduck for example), panicked a bit, asked industry and academia, allocated money and voilà - a "Strategic Computing Initiative" was born.

A Great American Leap Forward would be based on powerful LISP systems (Americans didn't like the Japanese-European logic programming idea all that much, LISP was invented here, so let's take that. Evidently Functional Programming has been extended by a large set of new tools, principles and languages since. We even have types now!). Special hardware would greatly increase the beta-reductions per second number and open up new opportunities in all technological areas.

In the end, Japan's 5th generation passed away quietly. Some of the developments were used in industry, especially in the hardware domain, a lot of papers were published, and the consensus seems to be that MITI money mainly subsidized the training of new engineers and academics, and not necessarily in AI technology either.

The US SCI project quickly gave up on LISP & Stuff as the the goals were recognized as far out. It reoriented itself quietly to develop supercomputing, hardware, communications and defense-related stuff (basically using a bait-and-switch manoeuver). The products of this would be used with some success during Gulf War I and that was that.

Europeans had the more civilian ESPRIT set of projects, not necessarily in computing but in science & techology in general, about which I don't know much.

Amazingly I can't remember even a peep from the Soviet Union, I guess they were still trying to get past the "bourgeois science" stigma affixed to Cybernetics and trying to roll out copies of IBM 370 as well as build up the cross-country networks that they were building at the time. They were probably also busy with the repercussions of Chernobyl.

So here we are again. All the talk about "demon AI" is pap, one would think the king had called in the realm's magicians to perform a particularly dangerous summoning. I know that the literature is full of AIs going rogue in quasi-supernatural ways, but the world just doesn't work that way (Frank Herbert's "Destination Void" comes to mind. It wasn't even that good fiction.)

See also:

Strategic Defense Initiative

Fifth generation computer

And especially this book which is floating around on the 'net (or you can get it used for cheap):

Strategic Computing: DARPA and the Quest for Machine Intelligence, 1983-1993

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: The motives are many

Or if someone is stil interested in the swansong of the 5th Generation Project: CACM 1993-03 (Vol 36, Num. 3) "End of the 5th Generation Project"

T'was great ;_;

7. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Great Idea!

Maybe AI could help Ted Cruz understand Climate Change? Somehow I doubt it:

AI: "Senator Cruz, as you can see, science predicts that most of Texas will be 10 feet underwater in 100 years"

Cruz: "Great, that will stop Planned Parenthood, but will all the little fetal coffins start to float?"

8. Stevie

Bah!

Presenting anything to those Disgraces to the Country, the Do Nothing Senate, is largely a waste of time except for the expense account lunches.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI? Pah...

It's AS we should be worried about - Artificial Stupidity.

1. Mike 16

Re: AI? Pah...

Where, in a Functioning Market world, would there be a demand for AS? The natural form is plentiful and cheap. Particularly in the form of politicians.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AI? Pah...

TV says there is steady demand....

10. John Geek

I've always assumed AI stood for Artificial Ignorance. Nothing I've seen or heard of to date has dissuaded me.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

That's a good point. Intelligence is all about ignoring things that you don't need to perform the current task. A hard problem.

As Judea Pearl wrote in "Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems" (review) back in the 80s: License to ignore gives us permission to act

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

witchcraft

This is the same branch of government, and party, that introduced a bill calling witchcraft a national treasure. They are incompetent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like