back to article Six car-makers team to build European 'leccy car charge bar network

Six auto-makers have signed a memorandum of understanding that will see them build a network of electric car charging stations across Europe. BMW, Daimler, Ford, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche have given themselves an initial target of 400 facilities, but say by 2020 “customers should have access to thousands of high-powered …

1. Blotto Silver badge

4 car makers not 6.

Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche Are all part of VAG group so really just 4 car makers, or 8 if you want to include smart and maybach as part of Daimler group maybe add Renault and Nissan to with Daimler for an even 10?

1. Gruezi

Re: 4 car makers not 6.

You should probably add SEAT, Skoda, Bentley and Lamborghini to the VAG list too...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: 4 car makers not 6.

... and add Mini, Rolls-Royce, BMW M and BMW i to the BMW list...

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

End user confusion gets worse

Ah, a new plug type that is naturally incompatible with existing charging plugs, cars and charging stations.

Well done guys!

It hates me to say this but I think it is time for the lawmakers to get their act together and mandate that all 'plug-in' vehicles (BEV or PHEV) have standard charging plugs and that includes you Tesla. Makers should be made to retrofit existing vehicles to take the new plug.

As the owner of a PHEV I did try to use Public Charging stations but in my area they are almost all of a type that I don't have a cable for and I'm not paying out £120 (knocks Apple for six in the cost of adapter cable game...) for a new cable that will only get used once or twice a month. The ones that are compatible are never free. People park up, plug in and go to work. There the car sits all day even if it is fully charged. I can plug mine in at home and get it charged for free thanks to my PV system.

1. thegroucho
      Mushroom

Re: End user confusion gets worse

I am not trying to knock your logic, in fact I totally agree.

However I will not compare something which Apple mass-manufactures (and badly at that, see my laptop's power cable) with the requirements to manufacture charging adapter which can take the electricity sufficient enough to power a small third-world town. Especially considering the low quantities manufactured at this point in time.

Also - if you see how much Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter costs (£9.99 from Apple, possibly less from Amazon) and compare the complexities in manufacturing that ... not.

I feel your pain.

P.S. The icon represents my anger at manufacturers, nothing to deal with the O.P.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      Coat

Re: End user confusion gets worse

"... I think it is time for the lawmakers to get their act together and mandate that all 'plug-in' vehicles (BEV or PHEV) have standard charging plugs ..."

Regulations that benefit the consumers? That's communist talk!

(Mine's the one with the inside pocket where I keep my wallet torn by the invisible hand.)

3. macjules
    Facepalm

UK Charging points

Given that Tesla have now set up charging points across just about all of Western Europe (excluding Western Span and Portugal for some reason), allowing you to drive from Malaga to Narvik without worrying about recharging points, perhaps Ford et al should be either adopting their standard or creating an adaptor that allows the Tesla charge point to be used in their cars.

What will probably happen instead is that we will just see lots of different chargers at various service stations on our motorways until such time as a gutter dweller politician can not get his ministerial limo charged and pushes for an EDM on a unified charging standard.

1. Spudley

Re: UK Charging points

What will probably happen instead is that we will just see lots of different chargers at various service stations on our motorways

You mean kinda like now, where we have pumps with nozzles for two types of petrol, two types of diesel, and autogas all serving the same bay.

Given what we have already, it's hardly a stretch to imagine a charging unit with a choice of adaptors.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

That's a bad overall example as the unleaded pump is a standard fitting, as it the diesel, as is four star leaded (where available) and all are standardised fuels.

Autogas is better as they have whatever delivery fitting the supplier decides and the vehicle owner can use an adapter to their specific vehicle if required.

The real issue is that in the case of fossils, you can basically find a nozzle that fits and squirt. With electric, not only must you get the adapter but the charge voltage, current and charge methodology must also match. Stuffing a 1Kv high power charger into a 240v slow charge car, even using the correct physical adapter, would be quite spectacular ...

2. Captain Scarlet
        Mushroom

"You mean kinda like now, where we have pumps with nozzles for two types of petrol, two types of diesel, and autogas all serving the same bay."

If someone took an hour to fill up with fuel in their car I would be fuming (Its bad enough when people decide to waste several minutes shopping).

1. Timbo

The Morrisons at Wolstanton near Stoke on Trent had a great idea - you filled up with fuel and then drove to the exit of the filling station where there was a booth and you paid for the fuel without leaving the car.

But I think the bean counters didn't like this so they re-developed the entire place and then built a "normal" mini-shop, which means to have to wait until previous customers have walked to the shop, taken a look around, buy a few items and then pay for their fuel and walk back.

There's an Esso petrol station on the A14 at Rothwell, where you can fill up, then just drive forwards into a parking bay in front of the shop, thereby making space for someone else. If all petrol stations were like this, it would help speed things up. (IMHO).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Lotaresco

"You mean kinda like now, where we have pumps with nozzles for two types of petrol, two types of diesel, and autogas all serving the same bay."

Not really. Because if I fill both tanks on my car (LPG and Petrol) then I'm not going to need to stop for 1000 miles.

The Tesla isn't even a dot in the rear view mirror. It's something I forgot about 170 miles into the drive.

4. Mark 85

Given what we have already, it's hardly a stretch to imagine a charging unit with a choice of adaptors.

Which will work as long as the adapters are attached to the cable. IF the adapters are loose and not attached, they'll all disappear due to either idiocy or intentional driving off with the adapter left in the car's charging point.

2. Lotaresco

"Given that Tesla have now set up charging points across just about all of Western Europe (excluding Western Span and Portugal for some reason), allowing you to drive from Malaga to Narvik ..."

... taking at least three times longer than you would need to do the same drive in a proper car.

4. Dr. Mouse

Oh no...

We're going back to the bad old days of mobile phones, having to carry adaptors for each charging standard. That'll be fun!

Also, 400 stations across Europe? Less than 15 per country? Yeah, that's going to make a HUGE difference...

1. enormous c word

Re: Oh no...

The problem is one of the infrastructure to supply this amount of juice to each charging station - not a problem while there's so few all-electric cars around and the charging stations can be subsidised by petrol / diesel sales.

Lets say a typical petrol/diesel filling station has 10 bays, and a refill takes 5 mins and costs £50each, they can *potentially* service 24 * (60 / 5) * 10 = 2,880 vehicles per day or take £144,000 revenue per day (so long as the fuel reserves are sufficient of course).

Lets say a typical recharging station has 10 bays, takes 30 minutes to charge and costs £25each, then they can potentially service 24 * (60 / 30) * 10 = 480 vehicles per day or £12,000 revenue per day.

But of course, the filling/charging stations aren't 100% busy 24 hours /day, lets say they are 25% busy throughout the day, then it's £36,000 for a petrol/diesel station and £3000 for recharging station.

Both need to be able to accomodate peak times, where 10 vehicles are refuelling/recharging at the same time, which is a huge problem for the charging station - if each car needs a 400kilowatts feed, then they need a 4megawatts feed - equivalent to the needs of about 4000 homes.

So only answer is to put a medium-sized fossil fuel burning power station at each recharging station to guarantee delivery for peak times. There are currently about 8,500 petrol stations in the UK, so we would need 6 times more than that for an all electric (because electric cars take 6x longer to recharge) so that's 51,000 electric charging stations / 4MW powerstations ...

5. Pen-y-gors

Interesting supply questions

If each car can pull 350 kW, and there are half a dozen charging points in one place, that's a helluva big mains cable!

There's a fundamental problem with re-charging leccy cars from the mains - what people really, really want is to get a full charge from a 13amp socket in 3 minutes. But that ain't going to happen. Slow charge overnight or while parked during the day, when you're only doing 50 miles a day is no problem, but for long distance no-one's found a solution so far (other than possibly hot-swappable batteries) - this isn't one either.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Joke

helluva big mains cable

Don't worry, I'm sure Samsung are supplying the batteries!

2. Chris Miller

Re: Interesting supply questions

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if the charging process is 90% efficient (seems unlikely any real-world system will do much better than that), that means 35kW of waste heat that has to be disposed of somehow without raising internal temps too high. I'm sure this has been thought of, just keen to know how it's done.

This is why existing high-power charging systems stop at ~80%, beyond that point the internal resistance of the battery is high enough for heating to become a real problem. It's possible to continue at a lower power setting to get up to 100%, but the idea (for these superfast chargers) is to plug in for 15-30 minutes and then move on.

3. Captain Scarlet

I thought BMW's i thingie with the range extender option sorted this problem (Where the engine is purely there to recharge the battery if charge gets below a certain point)?

4. WolfFan Silver badge

If each car can pull 350 kW, and there are half a dozen charging points in one place, that's a helluva big mains cable!

Let's do the math. Six charging points, 350 kW each... 2.1 MW. I have some experience with electric utilities. Typical primary distribution systems run from (very old, being replaced) 9 and 12 kV at 10-20 amp lines to newer 24 and 36 kV at up to 50-100 amp. Two lines of 24 kV at 50 amp would deliver 2.4 MW. One line of 36 kV at 100 amp would deliver 3.6 MW. Each station would have to have the equivalent of a small distribution substation out back. That would be a fair amount of capital expenditure, but once paid the ongoing maintenance would be a lot lower. It's not the set-up that's the problem, it's the total cost of ownership. Just as people who buy cheap inkjet printers often find that over a year it would have been more economical to have purchased a laser printer, the major cost will be actually using the damn thing.

So it takes 30 minutes to an hour to fully charge an electric vehicle... that's 175 to 350 kWh per car. Say you average (for nice round number purposes) 10 cars per day per charge point, that's 1.75 to 3.5 MWh per charge point per day, or 10.5 to 21 MWh per day. Around here, the local electric utility charges between $90-95 for a MWh. Call it $100 for ease of calculation, and that's $1050-2100 per day per station. That's $383,250-766500 per year.Someone will be forking out up to THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION DOLLARS on a yearly basis for each station, just for the electricity. You may substitute in what your local utility charges per MWh to get a rate in your area. Exactly who will be paying for this? I should hope that it'd be the people who plug their electric cars in, but I can't see any mention of a fee structure in the article. I may have missed it, so if there is one, could someone please let me know where it is?

Then there's the question of where the actual power is going to come from. Allegedly there will be 400 stations across Europe. That's 4200-8400 MW of power generation that has to come from somewhere. Major European power stations generate 500-2000 MW, so that's an additional four-five new power 2000 MW plants, either fossil-fuel, spewing lots and lots and lots of carbon to feed those nice clear electric cars, or nukes, and good luck getting those things in Germany or, to a lesser extent, Britain. If anyone thinks that solar or geothermal or wind or wave/tidal systems can do the job, let's see the numbers. (Yes, you can do geothermal in Iceland. Now you have to run a really big power cable across the North Sea to mainland Europe... And there are quite likely to be, ahem, secondary effects, from yanking all that heat out of Iceland.) And hydro is not likely to be effective, as most spots in Europe which can have hydro already do, and the rest can't have hydro for legal/political reasons.

Frankly, I just gotta see this.

1. Chris Miller

@WolfFan

Ecotricity have created a network of fast chargers in the UK - they're at almost all motorway services. Initially they were free to use - bargain! I signed up, and they made it clear that this was for an introductory period only. I only used them a couple of times because my travel patterns generally allow me to charge at home, but they were very popular.

Now they cost £6 for 30 minutes, which (for my car) makes them 3x as expensive as petrol. If you have a pure EV, such as a Nissan Leaf, and you're running low on juice, you have no choice but to pay up.

There are still free schemes in the UK. Some of them are across metropolitan areas and (presumably) subsidised by the local authority. Some of them require a substantial monthly free, but they could still be quite attractive if home charging isn't an option.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If each car can pull 350 kW, and there are half a dozen charging points in one place, that's a helluva big mains cable!"

I was thinking that too. Especially for the more rural motorway service stations.

6. Death_Ninja

Fast, how fast?

What this article is lacking is just how fast a 350kw fast charger could maybe charge a car?

Anyone care to guess?

1. Chris Miller

Re: Fast, how fast?

The biggest (at present) Teslas have 100kWh batteries, so that would suggest 15 minutes to get from zero to ~80% full, which is where these systems typically stop.

In comparison, the Nissan Leaf is 24-30kWh, but that doesn't offer anything like the range needed for a general purpose vehicle (as opposed to a commuter car).

1. Lotaresco
        Boffin

Re: Fast, how fast?

"The biggest (at present) Teslas have 100kWh batteries"

That is, the battery has the same energy capacity of just 10 litres of petrol[1].

10 litres of petrol weighs 7.5kG

The tesla battery pack weighs 544kg

[1] It doesn't because independent tests have shown that Tesla lie about the battery capacity. The batteries are sold as 100kWH but are actually 81-85kWH.

1. Chris Miller

@Lotaresco

That's true, but you can travel much further on '10 litres' of battery than 10 litres of petrol. An ICE is rarely better than 30% efficient and often (in start-stop traffic, for example) far less than that. Electric motors are closer to 90% efficient.

I'd like to see the testing that you refer to. If Tesla were truly exaggerating their battery capacity, I'd have thought they'd be in a lot of trouble (especially in the litigation-happy US). What is certainly true is that completely draining a Li battery is not a good idea, and electric cars have battery management systems to (try to) prevent that from happening. It's also true (as any laptop or phone owner will know) that batteries gradually lose their capacity after prolonged use. So if the report is saying that it's only possible to get 81-85kWh of useful power from a fully charged 100kWh battery, that wouldn't be too surprising.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: @Lotaresco

"It's also true (as any laptop or phone owner will know) that batteries gradually lose their capacity after prolonged use."

With current commercial technology this is true.

10,000+ cycle lithium batteries have been in the labs for a couple of years and they lose around 2% of their capacity when ordinary LiPo cathodes are simply so much graphite powder.

As I understand it, the hard part is getting the compromise between charge/discharge current and durability.

2. Lotaresco

"I'd like to see the testing that you refer to"

It's here: questions about the actual capacity of Tesla’s battery packs where it is mentioned that battery packs seem to have 5kWH less capacity than Tesla claim and mentioned, if I understand the article correctly that the manufacturer's highest rated battery is actually 90kWH (less 5kWH hence actually 85kWH), referred to as 100kWH presumably for marketing purposes.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"90kWH (less 5kWH hence actually 85kWH), referred to as 100kWH presumably for marketing purposes."

Maybe marketing use 210 for kilo-? Shades of the infamous 1000/1024 kilo- hard drive "scande" in reverse?

3. Lotaresco

"That's true, but you can travel much further on '10 litres' of battery than 10 litres of petrol. An ICE is rarely better than 30% efficient and often (in start-stop traffic, for example) far less than that. Electric motors are closer to 90% efficient."

I recognise the passion people have for EVs, I admire the engineering solution that Tesla have come up with. It's the best stab at an EV ever. The negatives also need to be considered. Firstly an EV is not 90% efficient. It's efficiency is the efficiency of the well-to-wheel energy budget and that looks a lot more like the typical efficiency of a petrol hybrid engine. About 30-40% efficiency because of generation and transmission losses which EV owners don't see and therefore don't consider.

This map (it comes from a pro-EV car site so it's a credible source) shows that EVs in the UK manage 189g CO2/km. Another map on the same site shows that EVs in the UK manage the equivalent of 43mpg (that's the same as my 2.0 turbo charged car). Not exactly earth-saving economy.

It would be a better choice for the environment to buy a medium sized car which have emissions in the range 74-82g/km. The current Astra, for example is a decent car. I hate GM cars so it's a surprise to me to be saying this but the one I had on hire in Paris recently was so economical that a day's use around the city didn't move the fuel gauge from "F" and despite not having time to fill it on my way back to the airport the hire company did not charge me for fuel. Even the fastest version manages 141g/km CO2 emissions and turns in performance comparable to the cheaper Tesla at 1/3rd of the price.

EVs make a lot of sense in France where nuclear power stations dominate the electricity supply industry. Operating an EV in France achieves the equivalent of 123mpg. That's worth having both on a personal and environmental basis. Sadly in the UK the eco-weenies have an anti-nuclear dogma and refuse to do the one thing that would actually "save the planet".

1. Chris Miller

Good response, with which I agree. (I'm no eco-warrior, my PHEV is for subsidy harvesting, at which it's very effective :)

I was just pointing out that 10kWh of battery isn't comparable with a litre of petrol in terms of how far you can drive a car. My 2-ton SUV brick gets over 3km/kWh, so 20 miles on a 'litre equivalent', that's 90 mpg. In cost terms, 10kWh is about £1, so slightly cheaper than a litre of petrol.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Base load...

Oo er it seems the leccy car is taking off faster than we have power stations planned..

This could end badly.

8. philct

Where's the power coming from?

While everyone's focussing on charging networks how about thinking about a more fundamental question - where's the extra generating capacity coming from? The UK barely has enough spare capacity now and a report covered in a recent Reg article predicted that increasing IT-related power demands alone would exceed world generating capacity by 2040.

Given the lead times for building power generation plants somebody had better start planning now. Perhaps the car manufacturers - so keen to bang the drum for electric cars - could pay for them :-).

Any Reg readers like to work out the extra capacity required?

1. Lotaresco

Re: Where's the power coming from?

"Given the lead times for building power generation plants somebody had better start planning now. Perhaps the car manufacturers - so keen to bang the drum for electric cars - could pay for them :-)."

Then we have to consider that EV drivers are getting a free ride at the moment, even if they pay for their "fuel". Electricity for vehicle use is taxed at 5% the same as for domestic use. Other car drivers have to pay taxes of about 157%.

So the hypothetical and completely untrue 100kWH capacity of a Tesla costs £14 to "fill" at present prices. Pay the fuel duty on that and it would cost £36 to fill. If the driver had to pay the fuel duty on the fuel used to create the electricity it would cost the driver £110 to "fill" their tank. Ouch.

It's about time that we started to tax EVs properly - they can keep their free Vehicle tax concession as an incentive to go green.

1. Lotaresco

I wrote: "So the hypothetical and completely untrue 100kWH capacity of a Tesla costs £14 to "fill" at present prices."

What I didn't write and on reflection should have is that any Tesla owner who charges their car at home is therefore paying £14 for 10 litres of petrol equivalent. That's 1.40/litre which is a bit wicked, especially given that the owner doesn't pay fuel duty on the electricity. Like for like an IC engine vehicle costs just £3.90 to fuel with ten litres of petrol, the additional £8.00 is all taxation. Of course three's also the point that to generate the 10 litres equivalent of petrol in an electric car one has had to burn 30 litres equivalent of fuel.

The energetics of EVs don't make a lot of sense, lugging around half a tonne of battery doesn't make a lot of sense. Paying thousands to replace the battery doesn't make a lot of sense either.

I think it would make more sense to fuel EVs on ethanol converted to electricity in fuel cells. Faster refuelling, greener technology.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Given the lead times for building power generation plants somebody had better start planning now.

One issue is not so much the overall generating capacity, but the rating of cables between the power stations and the towns.

I know of one leccy supplier that is investigating the use of large battery storage units within towns that would be charged up during periods of low demand overnight and used to help with supply when demand is higher during the day.

9. Potemkine Silver badge

Electric cars are a deadend

If all cars owners switch to electric cars, electrical grids won't be able to transport all the electricity required to recharge them. Add to this batteries that are polluting to make and polluting to recycle, and this make electrical cars a bad idea to preserve our environment.

That's why I bet on hydrogen: A refueling station could produce its own hydrogen by harvesting energy from its environment without having to be connected to an external network.

1. Hairy Spod

Re: Electric cars are a deadend

not this horse s#it again.

Fun fact: About 3kwh of electricity and another 3 kwh equivalent of heat energy goes into making every gallon of petrol - Depending on heating usage and time of year I get between 3.3 and 5.2 miles per khr from my leaf. My bosses 6 series beemer and Range Rovers can therefor quite often uses more elecricity than my electric car!

Hydrogen is the real massive waste of time here. It takes a minimim of twice as much electricity to make the hydrogen than it does to charge a battery. How come that double amount of electrcity is always deemed to come from renewable sources whereas every electric car is deemed to be charged from coal fuelled powerstations?

Also most cars are charged overnight by electricty which has to be generated anyway to keep the powerstations ticking over, but yes we do need to the look at both the grid and generation but we need to do that anyway.

Going back to the hydrogen nonsense, its really is a nasty reactive element that embrittles and knackers everything it comes into contact with. The REAL reason the car makers want to go this way is that you will be forced to regualarly replace expensive highly engineered components for the lifetime of the car. Car makers make more money on the upkeep of a car than they do on its initial sale. Battery cars on the other hand seem to be degrading far slower than it was originally feared.

1. Potemkine Silver badge

My bosses 6 series beemer and Range Rovers can therefor quite often uses more elecricity than my electric car!

There are around 30 miilions cars in UK. You can expect to to provide 10 kWh per electric car each night to give them an automony of 35 miles. That makes 300 GWh to produce and transport per night, around 110 TWh per year, without taking into account the losses by joule effect. The electricity production of UK was around 350 TWh in 2013. Do you really believe that the electrical grid is so oversized it can accept a load at least 30% higher?

How come that double amount of electrcity is always deemed to come from renewable sources whereas every electric car is deemed to be charged from coal fuelled powerstations?

Who said that? I didn't.

What I said is that is is easier to produce and store locally hydrogen than electricity,using energy harvesting.

It takes a minimim of twice as much electricity to make the hydrogen than it does to charge a battery

I wonder how you get that number, when there are several ways to make hydrogen.

You were silent about pollution generated by batteries making / recycling... you also forgot to mention that it takes 4 minutes to fill a tank of a Toyota Mirai (enough to ride 500 km), when it takes several hours to recharge an electric car.

Battery cars on the other hand seem to be degrading far slower than it was originally feared.

"Seem"? Anyway; the cost of replacing a battery enables to maintain a traditional car for years.

1. Hairy Spod

average daily drive in this country is 36 miles pretty close to your 35 mile figure. What was your point again?

also 3.5 miles per KWh is pretty low average for an EV, mine for the year is around 4.6

Yes lots and lots of figures for Hydrogen are available the 2x figure is the best case figure I've seen based upon cracking natural gas, most figures are actually way way way higher making that arguement even worse

it can take 4 minutes to recharge but the reality is most of the stations in california (best place for it still) cant keep enough pressure to do it at that rate or supply at that rate or upto a full tank. Also well as far fewer places to charge. Good look taking a jerry can to top up with H2 or plugging in at home ironically giving Mirai owners far worse range anxiety than EV owners.

2. Lotaresco
        Boffin

"About 3kwh of electricity and another 3 kwh equivalent of heat energy goes into making every gallon of petrol "

A gallon of petrol is 45.5kWH equivalent.

The efficiency of electricity production is 33% so 3kWH of heat goes into making each kWH of electricity.

For 45.5kWH of electricity you need a heat input of 136.5kWH.

So for every gallon equivalent of electricity you need 136.5kWH of heat. That's 23 times more energy input than it takes to make petrol.

Oops.

Your argument isn't looking too good now, is it?

1. Hairy Spod

errrr yeah great maths there, it makes no difference what the energy density of the resultant fuel is.

lets assume the additional heat energy going into the fuel production is completely free just 3kwh of elecricity into every gallon.

the point is worse case V8 petrols can actually use a similar amount of electricity than an EV does BEFORE even taken into account ANY other efficiency aruguements

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Hydrogen?

Perhaps you need to get up with the latest news.

Even those who were big fans of Hydrogen are moving away from it as fast as they can.

Tesla (love or hate Musk) have shown the way to all the other car makers.

They seem to be scrabbling to catch up with Tesla at the moment.

As has been said, the biggest issue is the Battery and the time it takes to charge.

My PHEV has spent most of the morning charging at home. The nice sunny day means that when it is done the leccy meter will start spinning backwards. By the time the sun sets the meter will be almost back where it started this morning.

If more people had their own generator (eg PV) then the overall baseload for EV's will be reduced.

I have suggested here before (and got downvoted for my pains) that ALL new buildings are constructed with a PV array on the roof.

Even those who were big fans of Hydrogen are moving away from it as fast as they can.

ROTFL

"[Toyota] has set a target to sell more than 30,000 hydrogen-powered vehicles annually worldwide by about 2020, 10 times its 2017 production target. It also plans to introduce more than 100 fuel-cell buses in the Tokyo area ahead of the Olympics."

2. Lotaresco
        Boffin

"I have suggested here before (and got downvoted for my pains) that ALL new buildings are constructed with a PV array on the roof."

What a brilliant idea... then, like you, we could all charge our cars overnight using the PV panels on the roof.

Or is it possible you haven't thought this through?

3. annodomini2
      FAIL

Some have mostly covered this, but not quite:

Hydrogen is an energy transport medium, not an energy source! It takes roughly 35x the amount of energy to create, compress, cool, store and transport the hydrogen as you get out the other end. So as you can see it's an incredibly inefficient one.

Where is all this energy coming from.. power stations, so you think the electricity grid would suffer with batteries it would suffer much more with a hydrogen supply.

Baseload is an issue yes, but Hydrogen is not the solution.

Where is all this energy coming from.. power stations

No, because you can produce hydrogen by many ways

Hydrogen is an energy transport medium, not an energy source! I

Absolutely, therefore the idea to use whatever source of energy to produce and store hydrogen, something you can do locally without having to be connected to a grid.

1. annodomini2
          Facepalm

Where is all this energy coming from.. power stations

No, because you can produce hydrogen by many ways

The bulk of that energy is in the compression and cooling, which will be electrical in source

Hydrogen is an energy transport medium, not an energy source!

Absolutely, therefore the idea to use whatever source of energy to produce and store hydrogen, something you can do locally without having to be connected to a grid.

The main sources are either hydrocarbons or water, all requiring energy input to create the "fuel", all will need to be compressed and as result of that compression cooled, all requiring energy. I noticed you conveniently ignored that I pointed out that it is incredibly inefficient!

If it is to be off gird, where is your miraculous energy source coming from to create all this supposed magical energy solution?

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"That's why I bet on hydrogen"

Hydrogen has so many technical problems that the best way to use it is to bind it with lots of carbon atoms to keep it from attacking everything in sight.

There are more hydrogen atoms in a litre of diesel than a litre of liquid hydrogen

IE: for transportation systems where electrical sources can't be used, the liklihood is that hydrocarbon fuels will be syntheised using a modified haber process and nuclear energy source.

10. Hairy Spod

The truth is that most of us who already have electric cars, never ever, or only once or twice ever use public charging.

We all charge happily from home, do our daily commute and plug in at home every few days, I charge my car less frequently than my phone.

Even the current limited range models make ideal second cars

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely, there is a solution for the future:

No-one owns their own car - everyone uses an app to hire an electric car in order to make a journey. The car auto-drives to your location, fully charged and then off you go.

If your journey is very long, the car drives you to a "car station" where you swop cars and carry on. The original car then starts to be recharged, ready for the next customer.

Car parking is replaced with charging parks, where cars get recharged. No one needs to buy a car or pay road tax or insurance, barely used public transport systems (and we've all seen buses driving around with less than 10% occupancy) are scrapped leading to more space on the roads.

The number of accidents occurring is lowered, as all cars are "limited" in their top speed, but traffic jams are a thing of the past, as all lane switching happens well before a junction without lots of brake lights from those who leave it to the last minute and cause others to brake sharply (or have to take avoiding action).

Yup - this could be the beginning of quite a revolution in personal travel :-)

PS I think there's a better future for trains, simply due to the journey length and capacity.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Hi Elon Musk. Welcome to El Reg

Honestly, you are speaking right out of the Musk Manifesto.

He's promoting the idea that Tesla owners let other people drive their car while they aren't using it.

It is not a big step to the idea that no one owns their own car.

Are you now a shareholder in Uber by any chance?

Put all this together and you can get to your utopian view of the future.

The problem is (As usual), that the vested interestes will get in the way.

By vested interests, I mean Big Oil and all the conventional car makers.

With no one owning their own car and effectively sharing it, means that the car makers will need to produce IMHO about 1/10th of the cars that they do at the moment. Do you honestly think that they will sign their own death warrant?

you have a nice idea. Sad that it won't come about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hi Elon Musk. Welcome to El Reg

Sorry - my name isn't Elon Musk !!

I'm sure that car manufacturers would prefer to keep the status quo...but fossil fuels are going to run out (at some point) and car brands have been coming and going for the last century. So, fewer cars being built might be a good idea, if they are rust-free and not being damaged in accidents.

And didn't various software brands instigate a subscription model, rather than keep producing CDs/DVDs of the software (and with the issues of pirated silver-discs coming from Far Eastern markets etc).

Ultimately, if people are saving money by NOT buying a car, then a "rental" type market might be what solves the issue...after all, I'm typing this while my vehicle is sitting outside, unused and depreciating all the time.

And if I only use it for say 2 or 3 hours a day, then that is costing me a lot "per hour of use" taking everything into account (purchase price, interest, taxes, fuel, maintenance etc).

Car manufacturers are slowly waking up to the fact that building cars alone is not enough to sustain them - and don't forget that "competition" has made them make cars more reliable and longer lasting than ever before....witness the fact that fewer cars driving around now are "rust buckets" (and if having vehicles that no longer started falling apart after just one winter didn't affect their bottom line then going electric certainly won't !!)

"So, fewer cars being built might be a good idea, if they are rust-free and not being damaged in accidents."

Carmakers are pretty easy about losing sales in the developed world - the world's potential markets are much larger than the existing ones even if ownership rates were to match the 80% reduction expected to be seen in western countries.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Car manufacturers are slowly waking up to the fact that building cars alone is not enough to sustain them"

Ford has been primarily a financing company for the last 20 years. Cars are merely a means to sell the product (loans) and it's much the same with the other makers now.

2. bep

"It is not a big step to the idea that no one owns their own car."

Welcome to the future, which is actually right now. Car ownership is declining and car sharing is growing. The world has lots of car enthusiasts who like to own their own cars, but you need to be reminded that there are plenty of other people for whom a car is just a conveyance. And forget about Musk, this agreement has nothing to do with him.

2. Hairy Spod

I hope it never happens. That would quite literally double the amount of cars on the road. picking you up dropping you off again picking you up again dropping you off again.

Its a popular idea because ALL subscription models make the the people who run them more money in the long run than a traditional sale would.

"Its a popular idea because ALL subscription models make the the people who run them more money in the long run than a traditional sale would."

It's a popular idea because automated vehicles eliminate the single most expensive part of a hire car - the driver.

The end result is that for most locations it will be substantially cheaper to use JohnnyCab than to own your own car.

It's already generally cheaper in cities with meatsack drivers but somewhat inconvenient. What changes even with a 80% (predicted) reduction in private vehicle ownership is the factor of nearly every remaining car being JohnnyCab. It would be unusual to not see a Johnnycab within hailing distance as soon as you step out your front door.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's already here (kind of).

Car-vending machines or swap batteries rather than sit and wait to recharge..

a la Wikipedia

"...The Kandi EV CarShare is a carsharing program in the city of Hangzhou.

The system operates only with Kandi EV all-electric cars, which are available to customers in automated garages that run like vending machines.

The rental price is US$3.25 per hour. Leasing is available from US$130 to US$160 per month, which includes insurance, maintenance, and the electric power through swapping batteries at the program garages.

Then, Kandi recharges the batteries at its convenience. The leasing option, called "Long Lease," is available from 1 to 3 year contracts.[6]..."

4. bep

Ideal for car sharing

I don't own a car, I'm in a car share scheme. I'm not alone, car ownership in this country has been declining for a number of years. The charging station solution is ideal for car share schemes since the car can be plugged in at the dedicated parking bays.

As for the rest of the discussion, it seems everyone has missed that the standard these companies have agreed on allows much faster charging. Some people like to drive flat out to reach a destination but plenty of others, say with kids in the car, stop fairly regularly and have plenty of time to top up a battery.

12. Pete Hinch

As a rough guesstimate, assume a car uses 50bhp travelling at motorway speeds. This is 37.5KW. So it charges at roughly ten times the rate it uses power. A three hour motorway run might take 20 minutes to charge.

"As a rough guesstimate, assume a car uses 50bhp travelling at motorway speeds."

Try 15-20kW, even a slab-fronted van only pulls about 30kW at 60mph on level ground.

not all vehicles need to be electric-only. A free-piston sterling range extender would be far more efficient than any existing IC engine and the added weight isn't so much of a problem on a EV as energy used for acceleration can be recouped during deceleration.

13. Lotaresco

I can't see the point.

I recharged my car for another 450 miles this morning. It took about five minutes including payment.

1. ScottME

Re: I can't see the point.

I never need to visit a filling station. My Model S is ready with a fully-charged battery every morning. The Economy 7 electricity works out at about 2p to 3p per mile.

If I'm going on a long journey, I stop every few hours to plug in at a Tesla Supercharger, while I take a toilet break and have a leisurely cup of coffee, and 45 minutes later I'm good for another three hours' driving. And that electricity costs me nothing.

Now do you see the point?

1. Lotaresco

"Now do you see the point?"

No.

Because I'm about to set off on my drive home for Christmas. That will be 1500 miles in three days (I'm a slow driver). That's 500 miles per day 7 hours driving per day at an average of 70mph. The speed limit is 81 mph so I'm taking things easy. An electric car can't do that. Not even the mighty Tesla. It would need to stop three times for 30 minutes to make the distance turning an easy drive into an ordeal. Yes you can charge it overnight but you still can't drive even half the distance before needing to stop drive like a pussy and you may get away with a two stop strategy but "range anxiety" will figure heavily in your journey.

I can arrange to do the drive in a single day if my SO and I swap driving every four hours. You don't even have that option in a Tesla. You're going to have to stop or resign yourself to 170 mile (maximum) hops. Nine refuelling stops instead of three, 4.5 hours just to refill to add to 19 hours of driving[1]. As close as makes no difference to 24 hours.

No, I really can't see the point.

And that's before we get to the stupid price of a Tesla. I could happily run my car for 500,000 miles for the purchase price of a Tesla.

[1] I'll let you drive faster than I do.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If I wanted to go on holiday to another continent I might fly.

If I wanted to do a really long journey I could just hire a fossil fuel car - a different use case for a different mode of transport. Just because you own an electric car and serves you well for 50 weeks of the year, doesn't mean you can't use other transport methods when it doesn't suit you.

It may be that an electric car doesn't suit everyone - it wouldn't work for me due to the length of my commute and no access to a power supply at the end of it, but for 95%(*) of the population it would probably work out just fine.

(*) completely made up stat

1. Lotaresco

"If I wanted to go on holiday to another continent I might fly."

Don't your arms get tired?

2. ScottME

Your argument hinges on an extraordinary, once-per-year journey. If you're happy to pay the additional price of all the fuel you'll use across the entire year for the sake of doing that one journey a few hours faster than you *think* it could be done in an EV, then I suggest your sense of perspective is a tad skewed.

I have done many journeys of well over 500 miles in a single day in the Model S and arrived in a much more relaxed state than I ever would have done in previous ICE cars, including high end Audi and Mercedes. Yes it helps if you have a partner to drive shifts, but don't forget the Tesla's autopilot feature which is a huge stress-reliever. Also the enforced charging breaks really do make you return to the wheel more refreshed, relaxed and alert than you'll be after a 10 minute fume-filled wallet-bashing session at the pumps. And you are seriously underestimating the range of the Tesla -- on long highway journeys I can easily do 240 miles, maybe more on a charge. So 1500 miles in three days? Piece of proverbial. And you'll have spent a small fortune on fuel, while my recharges will have been totally free.

It's obviously an expensive car, but there's a good reason why it's the best selling car in its segment. If you look at the likely total lifetime costs, it stacks up far better than equivalently priced oil-burners. I'd bet you'll be driving electric within ten years. You'd probably be doing it now if you had the wherewithal.

3. Ellis Birt 1

Remember that the safety experts recommend taking a break every 2 hours.

The 30kWH Nissan Leaf is almost up to that range on a full charge (155 miles in theory), the Tesla is well over that. The 2018 model leaf is rumoured to build on that (possibly pushing it to the magical 2 hours @70mph on 80% charge)

Rather than rushing around, driving 7 hours straight, you'll drive a little more slowly, take 3 half-hour breaks along the way and get there almost as quickly and probably a little more refreshed.

For those journeys when you really must tag-team, you can rent a (more comfortable) car, go by train, or fly out of your savings on fuel for local journeys (at UK & EU Prices anyway)!

Remember: BA and Air France scrapped their Concord services because taking your time to travel became the luxury, rather than getting there quickly, meaning that the number of people willing to pay had fallen.

1. Lotaresco
            Gimp

Have a look at a real-world road trip report from an enthusiastic Tesla owner and look as much at what he's glossing over as at his pro-Tesla happiness which is pure fan-boy in its nature.

Range between charges (real world) 120 miles - not 170 (Tesla's claim) or 200 (fan boys claims here).

Time to drive 1,365 miles - 33 hours.

Time to drive in an IC car - estimated at 20h (in Europe that would be about 14).

Look at the lessons learned, Cold battery packs drastically reduce range and increase charging times, "superchargers" charge much more slowly than expected, range was much less than expected, trips to superchargers added significant distance to the drive, genuine range anxiety as a result of Tesla miscalculating the battery buffer, and most damning of all "adding 40% to your travel time is unacceptable if you’re trying to get somewhere"

2. Lotaresco

"Remember: BA and Air France scrapped their Concord services because taking your time to travel became the luxury, rather than getting there quickly, meaning that the number of people willing to pay had fallen."

That's not really true. Both BA and AF flights had a good occupancy ratio. Remember Branson offered to buy the Concorde fleet and BA and AF refused to sell to him because they knew he would steal their First Class transatlantic market.

The reasons that the services were scrapped was the operating cost of a flight engineer, the fact that instrumentation was 30 years out of date and the lack of support for maintenance of the aircraft. BA and AF made a fuss about falling passenger numbers as a justification for ceasing operations but that doesn't seem to match with the actual operation. The real reason seemed to be profit, "First Class" on a subsonic jet is cheaper to provide but the tickets are sold at inflated prices.

Also those aircraft were 27 years old and that's a grand old age in aviation. There is, I think, only one 747 of that age still flying and they have a much less stressful operating cycle than Concorde. A 747 does not grow in length by a foot during a flight, for example.

14. ScottME
    Boffin

This could be interesting

Right now, one of Tesla's major advantages is its network of "superchargers", which in about 40 minutes can recharge a car's batteries with enough energy for up to 200 miles of range - plenty to get to the next supercharger, if not one's destination. The enforced charging stop every 3 hours or so generally comes at a point when it is welcomed by one's bladder, thirst, appetite or state of wakefulness. Overall, this makes long-distance journeys entirely practical, rather than the nightmare of range anxiety that prevails with most other current EVs. So it's hardly surprising that would-be EV players including the German manufacturers see the necessity of a pervasive rapid charging network.

But there are hard laws of physics and chemistry that limit the maximum rates of charge and discharge possible with current lithium battery technology. Tesla superchargers currently operate at up to 120kW, or about a third what these new German units are promised to deliver. To be able to accept current at that rate, Tesla battery packs already have a highly sophisticated cooling/heating system, and intelligent software to manage the task of balancing out the charge across the 7000+ individual cells in the pack. It'll be interesting to see how our Teutonic cousins manage to engineer their battery packs to operate with three times as much current.

15. Lotaresco

"Right now, one of Tesla's major advantages is its network of "superchargers", which in about 40 minutes can recharge a car's batteries with enough energy for up to 200 miles of range"

Tesla claim "up to" 170 miles.

By the law of advertising that means "nowhere near" 170 miles.

16. Ellis Birt 1

Brilliant, let's choose a system incompatible with over 60% of the EVs currently able to rapid charge in the UK!

17. scubaal

Betamax vs. VHS anyone?

FFS. Haven't we done this before - many times?

Anyone remember the videotape wars of the 1980s?

Yes Betamax was technically superior but VHS had the numbers - that's all that counts.

One charging plug please - if Tesla is out there use it. Or is Elon charging $$$ in licensing (I suspect not).

Its like the railways in Australia in the early 1900s (different gauges)

or analogue cellphones in the US in the 1990s (incompatible networks)

Everybody loses (cos customers wait) until there is one compatible standard for basic infrastructure.

Dumbest move this year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon