back to article Chernobyl cover-up: Giant shield rolled over nuclear reactor remains

The world's largest moving structure has been moved to cover up the melted-down reactor which caused the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in the former Soviet Union. In April 1986, Reactor Number Four at the Chernobyl nuclear power station went into meltdown as a result of a botched systems test which the plant's night-shift …

1. wyatt

Whilst I'm aware of the incident, I didn't know that the other reactors on site continued working until the year 2000! It's a brave man who goes to work there.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Radiation is not instant death.

If you're working on a reactor, you're going to get a hit, which is why you carry badges which monitor it, etc.

Working near Chernobyl is the same - fine so long as you monitor and don't do over-long shifts near it.

For reference, Chernobyl was detected by people outside the Ukraine / Russia - in a nuclear plant. Finnish workers at a nuclear plant were all setting off warning alarms because of the radiation that had spread that far.

Did everybody on that path die? Not even close.

Did the equipment at a nuclear power plant detect a leak originating from thousands of miles away? Yes.

Did the workers obey the usual nuclear safety procedures and limits / levels? Yes.

People drive into Pripyat on a regular basis - look for the photographs of the abandoned places. You just can't stay there for long periods.

Similarly, the workers who put the rails right up to the door of the blown reactor only the other week - fine so long as you don't stick around longer than necessary.

Radiation is scary not because it's instant death (yes, it can be, if you're quite literally in front of the reactor) but because of the cumulative effect. So long as you don't let it build too high in your body, too often, it's fine.

And even then, an exposure to a single radioactive atom could give you cancer, in theory. It's incredibly unlikely because of the body's DNA repair processes and the chance of it causing a mutation, but in theory you can even be born with cancer caused by radiation despite living in perfectly ordinary places.

It's just sensible to avoid unnecessary exposure.

Hell, the wildlife are thriving since all the humans moved out.

1. Triggerfish

Regarding the wildlife

There are reports that thriving is not quite correct, it seems that biodiversity is not as great, population levels are lower and some species seem to still have problems now due to radiation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Regarding the wildlife: Citation?

1. DropBear
            Trollface

"Regarding the wildlife: Citation?"

What are you talking about? We have extensive research...!

1. Mayday
              Mushroom

@DropBear

Extensive Reseach:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

2. Triggerfish

Regarding the wildlife: Citation? @AC

http://cricket.biol.sc.edu/chernobyl/Chernobyl_Research_Initiative/Management_Team.html

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/5/704

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep19974

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016862

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/9/5/20130530

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100296

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02074.x/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X10001172

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000632071100317X

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/3/356

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X12003767

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/5/704

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X10001172

This one is natural high level background radiation for comparison

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-185X.2012.00249.x/abstract;jsessionid=BDC084AAC36CB14A1A5BA215E88D930B.f02t01

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Citation:

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/5/704.full

The ones that tend to say "hey everything is great" are observational studies, such as, hey look there are loads of animals there.

Well that may be, but as there is plenty of food and water there, with little human interaction, that would occur anywhere.

Are they living as long as animals in other similar protected environments?

Are the equally healthy as other animals in similar environments?

You could fill a indoor stadium full of chain smokers on 200 a day and say look how many there are here! Doesn't mean it's a great place to live.

1. Triggerfish

If you are talking to me, then I agree, my earlier comment was that there are effects in the high radition areas on biodiversity and also healthineess of other animals. Seems like there are some animals that suffer less, wolves for example, and some that suffer more like passerine birds.

Some of the reports of it being a wildlife haven as well are coming from areas with a lot lower radiation.

Impression I get is for a area that does not have any resident humans the wildlife population is not as healthy as it should be in some parts, mainly due to raidiation effects.

The citations above are in support of my earlier post about this, at request of the AC. They mainly come from the scientist lised in the first link.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Peter X

You could fill a indoor stadium full of chain smokers on 200 a day and say look how many there are here!

Ahhh... the Smoking Olympics. Whatever happened to that?

1. Captain DaFt

"Ahhh... the Smoking Olympics. Whatever happened to that?"

Never really caught fire. It was just a pipe dream, after all. ☺

2. streaky

Re: dosage, scientists regularly go inside the reactor building itself, even the most radioactive part which is all the crap that leaked out the bottom of the reactor is relatively safe to work around for a short period now.

As I pointed out elsewhere to people being stupid about this - even huge radiation doses are reasonably treatable with intensive care, it won't implicitly kill you like people imagine. It's very not nice but can be treated, one of the biggest threats is actually infection because it will destroy your immune system. In fact it's intentionally used for that when doing things like marrow transplants. Radiation cancers tend to be from things like getting particles stuck in places you don't want them like the throat or lungs.

Just don't ask Putin how much Russia paid towards the new containment building.

3. Cuddles

"Did everybody on that path die? Not even close."

Never forget that 100% of people exposed to radiation die! More seriously though:

"Radiation is scary not because it's instant death (yes, it can be, if you're quite literally in front of the reactor) but because of the cumulative effect. So long as you don't let it build too high in your body, too often, it's fine."

That's not really accurate. Radiation doesn't build up in your body in the way that things like heavy metals tend to. In fact, there's decent evidence that constant low exposure to radiation is actually beneficial, since it stimulates the protective and repair systems that fix damage to cells and DNA. The real problem with radiation is that the effects are simply too variable. A low dose might be beneficial, but what exactly counts as low? Is continuous exposure at some level more or less damaging than a single higher exposure? How exactly do short and long-term effects vary with different doses and exposure patterns? And of course, this is all before you start looking at different types and energies of the radiation involved - equivalent doses of alpha, beta and gamma radiation won't all have the same effect.

Of course people have tried to study all this, but given all the variables involved you'd need to deliberately expose tens of millions of people to all kinds of radiation and then follow them around for the next 70 years or so. Even if there weren't any ethical problems with doing that, the logistics make any comprehensive study impossible. We occasionally get lucky (maybe not the best word) and find a useful group to study, such as the well known watch painters, and there's the occasional unethical study, such as the military exposing people to nuclear tests, but this only covers a tiny portion of the question in a completely uncontrolled way. And no matter how well me manage to study the actual effects, that still does nothing for people who aren't radiation workers and so have no idea what dose they might have received anyway.

Radiation is scary to people mainly because it's unknown. You usually can't tell if you've been exposed, even if you somehow know that you usually don't know how much you've been exposed to, and even if you somehow know that it's almost impossible to know what the effects might be. It's not a particularly rational fear given how low the risk of any significant exposure actually is, but fear of the unknown is not exactly uncommon.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its been 30 years

There's a direct correlation between radioactivity and half life - the worst stuff that's the most radioactive also has the shortest half life. So a lot of that really bad stuff is mostly gone now. There is still plenty of danger from the stuff that will stick around for hundreds of years if you tried to live there full time, but as the wildlife shows you can do that still be OK.

Some wildlife isn't doing as well because the food chain has a way of concentrating radioactivity in certain food sources. i.e. if certain plants are good at taking radioactive substances out of the soil, then anything that eats those plants will get a higher dose than those that eat other plants. And of course carnivores that eat the ones who ate the higher dose plants get a higher dose as well. So some animals are able to continue on and think it is great because there are no people around to bother them, others have a tough time because they're getting particularly concentrated amounts of radiation due to their diet.

5. Chris Evans

" Hell, the wildlife are thriving since all the humans moved out."

But how many heads do the cats have!

The Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement structure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement is some work of engineering! I hope someone makes a program about it. I take my hat off to the designers and builders.

6. Stevie

Radiation is not instant death.

"Come on in; the fallout is lovely!"

A Dustbin of Milligan by the magnificent Spike.

Goon, but not forgotten.

7. magicshine

I have to agree, I have been to the zone 3 times now over a few years for photographic trips and it's not that bad. We have been stood on the 'safe' side of the concrete door into reactor 4 for a few minutes and no danger has come.

It is all about exposure and time, short hit is not that bad and your body will repair the DNA faster.

We observed higher radiation from the flight from the UK to Ukraine than the week spent free roaming Pripyat.

8. mosw

It would appear that exposure to humans is more dangerous than exposure to low-level radiation.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Initially, it was part of the plan to pretend the incident is significantly less than what the western media has been (quite rightfully) howling about. Later on it became a matter of a pragmatic decision - getting rid of the reactor cores which have not finished "burning" their fuel would have been more dangerous. So they let the process complete properly so it can be decommissioned safely.

3. Unicornpiss
      Meh

If I had lived in Russia in that time..

I probably would have found myself working in IT at that plant, such seems my luck.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: If I had lived in Russia in that time..

Marie Curie.

She studied the stuff for years, playing with uranium ore in a shed, and carrying vials of radium in her shirt pocket, not to mention taking X-ray images unprotected, and went on to live for another 30 years before she eventually died

Sure, it wasn't healthy for her, but it's not instantaneous death.

And her lab / papers are STILL radioactive 100 years later.

Radiation, really, is much safer than most people make out. Unless you deliberately make it into a weapon, it's probably safer than TNT.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Radiation, really, is much safer than most people make out"

Not to mention, just about everything is radioactive to some extent - even people. The stat I remember is that sharing a bed with your partner each night adds about a millirem of your annual average dose of around 300-400.

2. rcw88

And my grandfather died of cancer induced by radioactivity when my mum was 15 - he was a radiographer using X-rays to locate shrapnel in airmens legs 1939-1945 - they simply had no idea just how dangerous the X-ray sources were, because of the intensity. There's a whole load of misinformation and fake news about just how dangerous radiation is. If you live in a Radon area you are much more at risk than a concrete encased oil drum buried somewhere underground. And you get dosed with more radiation from the Sun and other particles the further you get above the Earth's surface. Get a grip. But Chernobyl still isn't on my bucket list.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

The world's largest moving structure has been moved

They used a Maersk Triple E class container ship, at approximately 200,000 tons fully loaded?

5. waldo kitty
      Pirate

Kidd of Speed

you should check out Kidd of Speed's (Elana Vladimirovna) motorcycle tour of the Chernobyl area... it is very interesting with a lot of pictures...

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/index.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck to building the same for Fukushima.

"Let the whole world see today what Ukraine and the world can do when they unite, how we are able to protect the world from nuclear contamination and nuclear threats,"

He must have said this while pissing/shitting into the sea during a visit to Fukushima.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good luck to building the same for Fukushima.

It was aimed at Russia. Don't you know how politics work?

2. imanidiot Silver badge

A structure like this is not needed for Fukushima. The amount of debris and destruction is not even close to comparable between the 2 incidents. Not to mention the reactor construction differences. Fukushima is currently expected to be fully cleaned in about 15 to 20 years. The Chernobyl reactor was destroyed to such a degree (and so radioactive) that the only option was to "bury" it and wait a few dozen years for things to cool off.

What isn't mention in the article is that one of the main purposes of the New Safe Containment structure is not just keeping the dust in place. It will be used to finally stabilise the reactor lid precariously dangling over the remains of the reactor vessel. After that a start can be made to finally begin with the proper cleanup of the reactor.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: "A structure like this is not needed for Fukushima."

The amount of radiation actually leaking out at Fukushima is below normal background levels at many other places on the planet. Those contaminated tanks of water are slightly less radioactive than "an olypmic swimming pool with an old-style glow in the dark watch dropped in the middle".

If Japanese radiation level standards were applied in Europe, most of downtown Helsinki would be too hot to handle thanks to the granite there, along with the thermal pools at Bath - and in the US Denver Colorado would be a no-go area along with anything at the same altitude.

1. PNGuinn
            Boffin

""an olypmic swimming pool with an old-style glow in the dark watch dropped in the middle"."

OOOH LOOK::::

A shiny - or is that glowey - new Reg unit!

We need a proper diving mask icon.....>>

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Its good that the ice wall all worked out and nothing is leaking into the ocean...."

Well, we're lucky that the ocean joins other oceans and 1,335,000,000 cubic kilometers of water is an awfully big radiation barrier.

In the mean time, how many lives have been taken by Cordite and derivatives.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The Chernobyl reactor was destroyed to such a degree (and so radioactive) that the only option was to "bury" it and wait a few dozen years for things to cool off."

It already has done to a significant extent.

People forget that "highly radioactive" also means "won't be radioactive for very long"

3. streaky

NSC isn't for stabilising the upper bio shield, I don't think anybody dare touch that, they are going to be stripping the roof off the old shield though because it's a mess. IMO the best thing to do would be to fill it with a mix of sand and boron and leave it for a few decades - sand would help protect it if the bio shield did fall.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

@AC

"Its good that the ice wall all worked out and nothing is leaking into the ocean...."

The ice wall isn't intended to stop water flowing into the ocean! It's intended to stop groundwater flowing from the mountains to the ocean from entering the basements of the reactor and turbine building and adding to the water levels there. In fact, TEPCO isn't even allowed to close the ice wall completely and has been mandated to keep a section open by the NRA (Japans nuclear safety oversight agency) because the NRA fears closing it completely could cause the water levels in the basements to RISE if the wall is closed completely (Because a majority of the water there is from the leaks in the reactor cooling systems) There is a steel sea-side impermeable wall hammered into the ground all the way into the impermeable layers of bedrock for the purposes of stopping groundwater outflow, as well as a whole host of other mittigation techniques to keep as much ground water as possible from getting contaminated. (See: http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/decommision/planaction/seasidewall/index-e.html and http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/decommision/planaction/landwardwall/index-e.html )

@streaky

It is not a direct goal, because no-one has a a clue as to how it could be done. What IS a goal though is to disassemble the current containment structure and clear up as much debris as possible from around the upper bio shield to finally allow a proper assesment of its stability and position. Because right now noone has a clue as to what the actual status of the thing really is. NSC isn't FOR stabilizing the UBS, it IS intented to ALLOW it to happen if needed.

Happy

@streaky, rereading my original post I realise it is worded very incorrectly. I feel I should admit I got it wrong there. My second post is not an attempt to change my words, it's a correction.

1. streaky

Yeah AFAIK there's no plan to do anything with the upper bio shield right now, running through the thing with a bulldozer would "allow" it to be stabilised doesn't mean they will - but I get what you're saying; it's not like it's built to prevent work being done to it. I think currently the plan is just basically keeping the dust in as much as possible if it does fall. It's so heavy any attempt to do anything with it will result it in falling regardless, hence I'd just fill it with boron and sand - boron for the obvious and sand to vitrify anything that has residual heat and for support in case anything does fall and it'd keep the dust down and also reduce the fall height. They tried it after the accident because it's a sensible thing to do but they couldn't get near enough to get anything in there - at least now there's cranes in place relative containment that it might be worth filling what's left of the reactor vessel with. Honestly at this point you could probably mostly encase it in reinforced concrete and forget about it to a certain extent - would make it easier to work around for sure. NSC opens up a lot of options for making it safer.

3. fruitoftheloon
      WTF?

@AC: Re: Good luck to building the same for Fukushima.

Ac,

you are a gormless idiot, I assume you don't talk about this based on your experience as a Chartered Engineer?

/sighs

3. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Units

Crumbling cover replaced by 36,000-tonne radiation-proof structure

Would 36 Kilotonne be a better unit of weight for this, or would it bomb?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Units

8.5 MegaJubs (MJb) would work better for me...

2. choleric

You may have a point, but it's not critical.

3. DropBear
      Trollface

Proper hipsters would express that mass in Joules, via emcee squared and all that jazz...

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Misleading title

Oh wait...

Good to hear, must have taken some good and serious planning there.

5. wolfetone Silver badge

Are they planning on building an even bigger dome to replace that one when it eventually starts to fall apart?

The decomissioning of this structure has been considered already yes. But it has been designed to last atleast several hundred years. In the meantime the cleanup of the reactor will finally start, so there is a good chance the containment won't be needed anymore when this structure hits end of life.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"In the meantime the cleanup of the reactor will finally start, so there is a good chance the containment won't be needed anymore when this structure hits end of life."

Indoor basejumping park? Waterpark? Snowpark? There must be something fun to do with an enclosed structure of that size once it's all cleaned up :-)

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Are they planning on building an even bigger dome to replace that one when it eventually starts to fall apart?

Hahaha - yes, I saw what you did there.

However, Matryoshka dolls are generally made of wood :).

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It was a genuine question, although I'm quite pleased I managed to make funny out of something serious!

From what I had read, the dome is meant to last 100 years. Which is a long time, but not longer than the danger posed by what's left of the reactor. In 1988 engineers had said that the current sarcophagus would need replacing in 20/30 years time. It's taken nearly 30 years to get the dome in place so with that track record it'd be prudent to start to do something about it now at least.

That said, 100 years is 100 years and I won't be around to see what they do. And I feel a lot of the people involved are looking to their children and thinking "Meh, I'll let them sort it out". But I've grown up in Birmingham and we have the Spaghetti Junction and that, too, is meant to last 100 years. But it's not even 50 years old and that's falling apart, and it doesn't have the excuse of stupidly high levels of radiation to contend with.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Replacing this shield would be simple

It is on tracks, they could simply build a parallel set of tracks with a new dome, roll the old dome off and roll the new dome on.

Though realistically in a hundred years all of the really nasty stuff will be at such low levels it won't really matter. Probably best to simply cover the dome and everything under it with a few hundred feet of sand and soil and plant flowers on it.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"Which is a long time, but not longer than the danger posed by what's left of the reactor."

But in 20-30 years, those really dangerous bit would be dangerous bundled up in a bunch of nice safe casks buried in an underground facility designed specifically to hold such dangerous stuff rather than in a big precarious pile of miscellaneous crap protected only by a thin-ish concrete dome.

The reason this dome is so much larger is so that they can start moving automated equipment into the dome and have space to work and start removing contaminated rubble and debris that is in the way of accessing the reactor so they can start tackling the task of getting rid of it and making the site much, much safer (well, relatively). The radioactivity has greatly reduced in the last few decades to where it is now possible to do that soft of work, of course technology being much more advanced also helps so they can send in cheap remote-control vehicles operated by someone hundreds of kilometers away rather than having to send in ole Vladimir on a 30-year-old bulldozer...

This dome is also likely to live a much longer useful life since its constructed of proper materials and over-seen by highly-trained engineers rather than the original dome that was built by the same folks that brought you such wonders as the Berlin Wall, and the Chernobyl Power Station itself...

"The radioactivity has greatly reduced in the last few decades to where it is now possible to do that soft of work, of course technology being much more advanced also helps so they can send in cheap remote-control vehicles "

One of the initial problems at both Fukushima and Chernobyl was that the radiation levels were so high they fried the robots sent in to explore and do cleanups - turning them into more obstacles for the real cleanups in future.

Which should be a reminder that the best thing to do when a meltdown happens is to secure the perimeter and wait 3 decades rather than trying to wade in and remove red hot pieces - they're better off where they are until they're a bit less radioactive.

Whilst chernobyl was an old design, the biggest danger for nuke plants was - and remains - the water. In order to run at suitable temperatures to drive steam turbines (4-600C), it needs to be pressurised - which means steam explosions if there's a leak. It's also slightly acidic, but water at those temperatures and pressures is corrosive anyway. The other problem is that fission reactions tend to stabilise (doppler effects) at about 1100-1200C(*), so if the cooling pumps fails, your water's going to get very hot, react with metals in the vessel and generate hydrogen - which is what happened at Fukushima.

(*) That's the approximate temperature in the middle of a fuel rod too. because the fuel is oxide pellets, it takes a long time for the heat energy in the middle to percolate to the outside of the rod and _that_ is why it takes so long to cool a reactor down after a SCRAM event.

Alvin Weinberger solved these problems 50 years ago: Surely it would be better to use something like a molten salt as your working fluid/coolant/fuel carrier. No pressure, can safely go to 1200C, hot enough to be thermodynamically efficient. Can't burn, doesn't need large bodies of water to carry off the excess heat. (and a bunch of nice knock on effects such as easy chemical reprocessing, virtually no waste on the input vs the 75% wastage now and 99% reduction of the waste output (which is currently about enough to fill an olympic pool over the lifespan of a 1200MW plant), most of which can simply be stored for a few months/years and sold on - Say hi to the helium economy, amongst other things.

If Nixon hadn't killed LFTR research in favour of fast breeder reactors (Molten sodium coolant - whoever decided that would be a good idea??) we might have _really_ safe nuclear power, but even the unsafe version is 300,000 times safer than coal.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Alvin Weinberg

Thanks for the heads-up.

Teensy correction to the name.

Seems like nuclear power carries on the great tradition of monumental political balls-ups which makes me wonder often how the world works at all.

Coat

Re: Alvin Weinberg

@PhilipN:

Seems like nuclear power carries on the great tradition of monumental political balls-ups which makes me wonder often how the world works at all.

Generally it doesn't really work at all. Generally we've just become adapt at working around the problem.

2. andy k O'Croydon

Molten Salt Reactors

For those of you interested, there is a UK design in Molten Salt Reactors which, unlike the LFTR, uses existing nuclear qualified parts and doesn't involve pumping radioactive salt through heat exchangers. It also uses heat storage which would justify deployment of renewable energy sources by acting as a backup reactor. Currently would run off spent nuclear fuel, although in the long term could be developed for thorium.

http://www.moltexenergy.com/

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sadly,

they failed to account for the exponential rise in numbers of cars due to the population explosion.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Ha Ha!

Time for Stalker: Cover of Chernobyl!

1. Paul Westerman

Obligatory

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Ha Ha!

Who downvotes a Stalker reference? Must be another Zone bandit.

7. Moosh
    Paris Hilton

RE: Chernobyl wildlife

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be that the local wildlife, on average, does not live long enough to develop the serious cancers associated with radiation?

Additionally, could the animal population not be higher because there are no humans? Animals tend to give birth in litters or batches; its perfectly reasonable to think that while there is significant infant mortality linked to the radiation, that numbers have boomed because they basically hedge their bets anyway with procreation, and because humans are no longer driving them away.

Its a bit different when you can go through multiple generations in a decade.

Send some volunteers to go live in the zone and lets see how they hold up.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: RE: Chernobyl wildlife

There are scientists who live on the land within the exclusion zone. I remember watching a documentary about the one guy and he said that certain vegetables he grew didn't contain any radiation, yet other vegetation did. I think root vegetables would take in radiation while non-root veg wouldn't.

I don't think the fact animals may live for 15 years has any effect on how their bodies react to radiation. We had a dog live for 19 years and it ultimately died from cancer of the bowels, whereas my auntie had a dog live until she was 7 when she died of cancer. My Dad developed cancer at the age of 70 and died 3 years later. We have Michael Buble's son who's 3 years old who has developed cancer.

But yeah, scientists are there on the ground monitoring these animals and working the land to come up with answers to these questions.

1. Moosh
        Thumb Up

I stand corrected - I guess I've just become a little critical of people claiming that disasters affecting the plebs are in actuality not that bad.

"the serious cancers associated with radiation?"

Citation needed.

Ionising radiation generally kills cells and high level exposure (temporarily) damages the immune system, making the victim susceptable to infection.

Most serious cancers are induced by chemical toxins (which are known as mutatgenic for a reason).

There's no evidence that organisms in the exclusion zone are living shorter lives on average. There are some hot-spots and some evidence of radiation damage but the majority of the evidence is pointing to the zone being both vastly larger than necessary and in any case not needing to be permanent.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be that the local wildlife, on average, does not live long enough to develop the serious cancers associated with radiation?"

Well, yes. Average lifespan of mammals and birds in the wild tends to be rather short, our own population shows what happens when this ceases to be true. I believe the average lifespan of urban foxes is only around 18 months and few of them live past about 4. This is doubtless a factor. Of course infant mortality is very high, as anyone who watches the number of ducklings change with time will be aware, but there are many other risks - I noticed the other day that "Lucy" probably died by falling out of a tree and this must be true of many other arboreal species, and some top predators like lions effectively control their numbers by deliberate infanticide.

A change in mortality rates due to radiation might indeed be masked by reduced predation or better access to food.

The metal Nickel is supposed to have got its name from Old Nick, the Devil, because of the incidence of birth defects and other illnesses in the Harz Mountains, where leaching from nickel deposits contaminated water. Heacvy metal contamination occurs in many other places too. Adding to the contaminated places of the Earth isn't a good idea, but there are plenty of places that are bad for life.

1. Tom 7

The thing about the wildlife is it mostly just dies. It doesnt wander into a clinic complaining of unusual symptoms.

What is good for the wildlife is there aren't many humans wandering around giving it lead poisoning so even if it is irradiated it gets a good chance of reproducing before dropping dead next to the tree that no-one hears fall.

"The metal Nickel is supposed to have got its name from Old Nick, the Devil, because of the incidence of birth defects and other illnesses in the Harz Mountains, where leaching from nickel deposits contaminated water. "

Radioactive spots can be detected and cleaned up from a safe distance - and radioactivity dissipates over time.

Chemical poisons and mutagens are forever and tend to be difficult to detect.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

A pretty good read is "Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl". IMHO.

There is also "Un été à Chernobyl", a french comic about a visit to the zone, where the (green) artist meets up with people living there, then goes out to do paintings.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Psst, want some Chernobyl corium as souvenirs cheap cheap?

1. cray74

Psst, want some Chernobyl corium as souvenirs cheap cheap?

With a radiation survey, sure. I have a chip of Trinitite at my desk as a conversation starter. Some corium to go with it would be cool.

9. Patrician

The amount of ill informed paranoia that can be seen, even amongst posters here, when nuclear power generation and possible/actual plant disasters are discussed makes me quite sad. That somebody equated the Fukushima reactor to the Chernobyl one makes me even more so.

I regard Fukushima as a good example that demonstrates how safe nuclear power plants are today; it survived a magnitude 9.0 to 9.1 Earthquake and the ensuing tsunami's with no fatalities linked to short term overexposure to radiation.

I wonder how many deaths would have ensued had the Fukushima power plant been coal, oil or gas fired?

I wonder how many deaths would have ensued had the Fukushima power plant been coal, oil or gas fired?

Probably none and it would have been easier to clean up too.

Also dodged a bit of a bullet as the reactors loaded with MOX didn't melt down, it would have been testing time for what happens if MOX transforms into corium.

Then again, Fukushima was an olden US-issued boiling water reactor ... why not use nicely compact pressurized water reactors, or a CANDU reactor instead?

@Destroy All Monsters,

Probably not much difference from what happened now. MOX fuel when new contains up to 7% Pu, but usually around 5%. A used standard fuel bundle contains about 1% Pu. In terms of radioactivity Uranium and Plutonium are comparable. It is true MOX fuel would result in more highly radioactive particles on the Corium, but this activity would drop of very quickly as the half-lives of these isotopes are very short.

2. Wade Burchette

Fukushima was an old style reactor, and it only failed because they weren't prepared for a tsunami. The new reactors are more efficient and even safer. It is a pity that ignorance and paranoia is preventing the building on new nuclear power plants.

1. cray74
        Facepalm

Fukushima was an old style reactor, and it only failed because they weren't prepared for a tsunami.

Where "not prepared" means "Let's put the backup diesel generators, electrical switches, and batteries in the flood zone!"

"it only failed because they weren't prepared for a tsunami."

It was worse than that. Tepco management were told NOT to put the generators where they did, because of the flooding risk, but smiled, said yes - and promptly put them there anyway as soon as the site advisors left. When the disaster struck, it was Tepco management trying to cover up and pretend all was well (sound familiar?) that compounded things. Thankfully the chief engineer onsite grew a pair of gonads and in a most characteristically UNjapanese way told them to go fuck themselves - that point is where everything started to go better.

Fuckupshima really is an example of how badly you have to screw things up to have a nuclear disaster with a modern plant - even a 50 year old one that was over a decade past its planned shutdown date. There were over 20 other nuclear plants along that coastline and none of the others had any problems at all.

Bear in mind that conventional (water moderated) designs have become a whole lot safer since TMI - Fukushima predates that cockup. The improvements include passive safety systems like having control rods able to drop into place when the power goes off instead of being lifted into place, and water circulation systems which will operate using the passive thermosyphon effect in the worst case scenario of pumps failing.

@Alan Brown,

During the event a lot of the blame for just how bad things got also has to be put on the politicians. The depressurisation of the reactors should have happened a lot faster but the plant engineers got told to wait for the prime-minister to give a press conference and the entire area to be confirmed evacuated. People being human beings ofcourse decided that finding loved ones possibly trapped in the debris was more important that evacuating so this took quite some time. Had the blowdown happened sooner the amount of melt-down would possibly have been greatly reduced and for some reactors maybe even prevented.

There are a lot of cockups to go around on the higher level around this accident, a lot of them not on TEPCO's part. They ballsed it up for sure, but the politicians here deserve some of the blame for the outcome!

3. phuzz Silver badge

It's possible that more people died/had shortened lifespans from the stress of worrying about Fukushima, than due to radiation exposure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's possible that more people died/had shortened lifespans from the stress of worrying about Fukushima, than due to radiation exposure."

I went to a lecture once about Chernobyl where it was stated that far more people died or had shortened life spans as a result of the relocation of population, than from the disaster itself.

I believe in this country (UK) as a result of Chernobyl and other things we are rather better prepared. At least, my GP tells me we are, and he is interested in that kind of stuff.

4. Crazy Operations Guy

"I wonder how many deaths would have ensued had the Fukushima power plant been coal, oil or gas fired?"

Even operating normally, coal power plants kill far more people that nuclear power ever has due to accident. Coal power plants send quite a lot of toxic crap up into the air, ironically, a lot of it is radioactive. People living down-wind of a coal plant are at a ridiculously high risk of cancer, leukemia, respiratory problems, birth defects, and many, many other health problems. Oil and gas plants have the same problems (On a lower scale, but the effects are still certainly noticeable). That isn't even counting the number of workers killed each year digging that crap out of the earth in the first place (and the associated health problems).

"Even operating normally, coal power plants kill far more people that nuclear power ever has due to accident."

You could factor in everyone who's ever died of anything remotely related to nuclear research, plus all the deaths related to handling weapons nuclear material, populations of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and STILL not even make a noticeable dent in the ratio of deaths per terawatt-hour vs coal.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligitory XKCD refference

It would help if some people read and understood the chart at https://xkcd.com/radiation

Re: Obligitory XKCD refference

Unfortunately having particles rattling around inside your body is bound to cause more problems than that chart suggests. Uranium babies exist for a reason, and it's just due to heavy metal dusting.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Uranium babies exist for a reason, and it's just due to heavy metal dusting

Coincidentally, "Uranium Babies" would be an excellent name for a heavy metal band

2. cray74

Unfortunately having particles rattling around inside your body is bound to cause more problems than that chart suggests.

The chart captures the radioactive particles currently rattling around your body with the examples of "eating one banana," "yearly dose from natural potassium in your body," and "normal yearly background dose."

Off the top of my head, the average human has carbon-14, potassium-40, uranium-235 and -238, and thorium-232 rattling around in them contributing to the average annual dose. Depending on location, there'll also be inhalation exposure to radon.

Yeah well, you know how the inhalation exposure to radon goes.

It's not good for you.

You have alpha emitters in your skeleton, you better be on the lookout for serious damage soon.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Uranium babies exist for a reason, and it's just due to heavy metal dusting."

The epidemiological effects of uranium are because it's a chemically toxic heavy metal, not because it's radioactive.

Which is a very good reason NOT to use DU bullets to kill tanks.

The uranium vapourises and burns inside the tank, killing the occupants and covering everything with a fine dust, which usually spreads around as the ammunition explodes. When you visit old warzones and see kids playing around dead tanks, you realise this is a VERY BAD THING, when Tungsten would be equally effective and has no long-term health effects. (The reason the US military uses DU is because it's cheap - 75%+ of mined uranium is thrown away as depleted uranium after the enrichment process is done. Moving to Thorium fuel would eliminate the need to mine uranium and thorium reactors can burn DU/Plutonium and most other "high level waste" components of current conventional reactors.)

1. cray74

when Tungsten would be equally effective

Tungsten is not equally effective in armor piercing munitions. Tungsten and tungsten carbides do not share uranium's adiabatic shearing properties. When tungsten-based projectiles hit armor they tend to mushroom, which means they have to deal with more armor. Uranium, meanwhile, tends to self-sharpen because of its shearing behavior. The result is that for the same mass, velocity, and initial shape, a uranium projectile has up to a 30% advantage in armor penetration.

and has no long-term health effects

By itself, tungsten seems fairly innocuous but exposures and data are rare.

But many moons ago at the (US) Army Corrosion Conference...2009? 2011?...I saw a presentation on depleted uranium alternatives. Tungsten carbide fragments with cobalt in their binder had a much higher rate of tumor generation in rats than depleted uranium. The number of data points in the study was small enough that I've been askance at it, but I found it amusing that one of the DU alternatives created tumors around embedded fragments 100% of the time while DU was in the 10% range.

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The sad part is how hard it was to find the money behind the sofa to actually finance the new cover.

Things can still go pear-shaped. Ukraine is sometimes ravaged by wildfires. A wildfire in Red Forest will blow the nucleides into the atmosphere and cause definite trouble.

Plus, no-one is talking about the impact on the Belarusian side, which has an even more extensive Zone that, however, is not all too clearly marked and research into it is being a bit suppressed, innit.

While not being interested too much in sociological writings, there is a book I would consider as "not bad" on the nice obfuscation process (likely also practiced by the WHO whose numbers about health effects look suspiciously low, low, low): The Politics of Invisibility: Public Knowledge about Radiation Health Effects after Chernobyl

"likely also practiced by the WHO whose numbers about health effects look suspiciously low, low, low"

The WHO were fully expecting much higher numbers than they found. The reality is that radiation exposure is far less dangerous than everyone believed thanks to decades of cold war propaganda.

Correlation doesn't imply causality either - the massive increase in thryoid tumours found being one example - Korea had a similiar detected increase when they rolled out enhanced screening programs and there wasn't a nuclear accident anywhere near the peninsula.

It seems the primary reason more cancers were being found was simply that people were looking harder for them in the first place - and the rotten health problems of the Chernoybl responders wasn't due to radiation exposure, but because they were treated like pariahs by uninformed people and authorities who thought they might be contagious, etc (in the following decades they had a hard time actually GETTING medical care at all.)

12. Julz

Twinkle twinkle

" Chernobyl witnesses reported seeing 'blue twinkles' in the wreckage of Reactor No.4" I guess that that was probably Cherenkov radiation in the eyeball; not a good thing.

1. W4YBO

Re: Twinkle twinkle

"I guess that that was probably Cherenkov radiation in the eyeball"

I hope, for the observers sakes, that it was just corona discharge in some of the metal wreckage.

Holmes

Nope, people were admiring the burning wreckage while standing on the nearby bridge while being rained on by fallout and pieces of graphite from the core that had likely popped out of the reactor enclosure into the air and exploded like a fracking claymore.

Then the Soviet Union decided to recycle local produce by "diluting" it with non-radioactive meat and milk....

French news commentary declaring that the radioactive cloud had stopped at their border, no harm done were very confidence-inspiring.

IIRC, even in the mid-90s you could get a good radiation dose by eating mushrooms from some french forests. A submarine sailor could not get BACK on the sub due to high readings...

"A submarine sailor could not get BACK on the sub due to high readings..."

And having eaten radioactive mushrooms, where is he now?

13. Stumpy

I was there last year and saw the new archway whilst it was being constructed next to the reactor. It really is a sight to behold.

As has been mentioned in comments above, the area really isn't that dangerous any longer (in many places) - there's around 4000 people who live and work full-time in the exclusion zone. As long as you're careful with your dosimeter then you're perfectly OK.

That said, it /will/ still be around 500,000 years before the exclusion zone is truly safe for humans once more since there are still a great number of long-lived isotopes around in the soil (mostly Cs137 - half life of 30 years and Pu238 - half life of around 88 years).

It's definitely a place to go visit - there's some fantastic remants of the cold-war lurking around in there. I spent two days there - staying overnight at the (small) hotel in Chernobyl, and could quite happily take the camera back there for another excursion.

1. cray74

That said, it /will/ still be around 500,000 years before the exclusion zone is truly safe for humans once more since there are still a great number of long-lived isotopes around in the soil (mostly Cs137 - half life of 30 years and Pu238 - half life of around 88 years).

With a half-life of 30 years, wouldn't Cs137 be essentially gone in 300-600 years? 1/1024th to 1/1,000,000th dilutions are heading toward homeopathy levels.

You'd need severe contamination by Pu-239 (24,100 years half-life) for the soil to be dangerous over 500,000 years.

1. Tom 7

With a half-life of 30 years, wouldn't Cs137

be around 1024 time less irradiative after 300 years. But 1000 of something that will kill you in a week means is will take 20 years to kill you. And you are assuming that it decays into something harmless - most things tend to keep decaying for many iterations. Caesium decays to radioactive barium 137 - which has gone in a few seconds but Pu238 goes to u234 which is around for 234,000 years and then to Thorium 234 for a month then off to Proactinuim.....

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Keep in mind just how much Cesium and Strontium was spread out in the area (Plus some other nasty stuff with longer half-lifes). Even 1/1,000,000th dilutions still leave measurable amounts of radiation. On top of that it seems natural processes tend to concentrate the materials, making some spots safe and others highly dangerous.

"On top of that it seems natural processes tend to concentrate the materials,"

Yup, in particular fungi seem to like to concentrate them.

ie: DON'T eat the mushrooms.

3. Robert Sneddon

Hot and fast or cold and slow

Effects on biological tissue from radioactive materials are not simple to evaluate for a lot of reasons. The rules and guidelines on exposure and intake currently in place are the result of a lot of empirical data and lab testing plus a fudge factor on top i.e. the maximum exposure permitted might be 10% or less of a dosage that produces any noticeable effect at all in trials. There's also the As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) limits which presuppose people shouldn't be exposed to any amounts of man-made radioactive materials at all. Radiation from natural (organic, free-range, cruelty-free, vegan-friendly) isotopes such as potassium-40, carbon-14 and others are tacitly ignored in these limit settings since there's nothing anyone can do to avoid them.

Radioactive isotopes with a short half-life are very "hot" so a small amount will do a lot of damage but it stops being a problem after a few hours, days or weeks. I-131 is one example of a problematic isotope in an accident, with a half-life of 8.5 days so it's "hot" plus it concentrates in the human thyroid gland like regular iodine. That fast decay rate means that a few weeks after any release it stops being a problem.

Very-long lived radioactive materials like U-235 (half-life 700 million years) and U-238 (4 billion years) aren't particularly dangerous in terms of the radiation they produce. They'll be around for a long time but they're not "hot" even in large quantities. It's the medium-life isotopes that escape an accident site that are really a problem -- Cs-137 and Sr-90 are the usual suspects here with half-lives of about 30 years.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"You'd need severe contamination by Pu-239 (24,100 years half-life) for the soil to be dangerous over 500,000 years."

Even with a 24k year halflife, Pu239 is far more dangerous as a toxic heavy metal than as a radiological agent.

14. Tom 7

Anyone got a copy of the Guardian article with the radiation map?

They printed a radiation map of Chernobyl's shitting over Europe. I was amazed to see it caused a plume from Sellafield at the time.

Wish I'd kept my copy.

1. Robert Sneddon

The other major radiation release that week...

Even funnier, a couple of days after Chernobyl 4 burned to atmosphere a German pebble-bed reactor, the THTR-300 released some radioactive particles into the air after a fuel pebble broke up in its feed channel. The operators tried to cover it up, hoping nobody would notice the release because of the Chernobyl contamination but some isotopic analysis showed it couldn't have come from the Ukraine-based reactor and they got caught.

15. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Sellafield

Not directly related to the Chernobyl story, but mention of Sellafield reminded me of something interesting...

There was a great documentary on BBC a few months ago about Sellafield. When it was being built, the designer decided to put filters on top of the chimneys - despite the fact that everyone else thought they were completely superfluous, and the programme made it sound like they included the filters just to humour him.

Fast forward a few years, and there's a huge accident in the power station and loads of nasty radioactive particles go up the chimneys. The sheer amount of nastyness, combined with a prevailing westerly wind, meant that we could have irradiated a huge swath of Europe....but that didn't happen because the filters caught everything.

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Sellafield

There was a great documentary on BBC a few months ago about Sellafield. When it was being built, the designer decided to put filters on top of the chimneys - despite the fact that everyone else thought they were completely superfluous, and the programme made it sound like they included the filters just to humour him.

Look up "Cockroft's Follies"

They are mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Windscale fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire#Windscale_Piles

"During construction, Terence Price, one of the many physicists working on the project, began to consider what would happen if one of the fuel cartridges being pushed out the back of the core were to break open. This could happen, for example, if a new cartridge being inserted was pushed too hard, causing the one at the back of the channel to fall past the relatively narrow water channel and strike the floor behind it. In that event, the hot uranium could catch fire, with the fine uranium oxide dust being blown up the chimney to escape.[10] When he raised the issue at a meeting and suggested that filters be added to the chimneys, the concern was dismissed as being too difficult to deal with and was not even recorded in the minutes. Sir John Cockcroft, leading the project team, was alarmed enough to order that filters be installed, which required them to be constructed on the ground while the chimneys were still being built, and then winched into position at the top once the chimney's concrete had set.[11] These became known as "Cockcroft's Folly" by workers and engineers."

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

I know it is not the done thing to reply to your own posting, but this is such a good read on Cockcroft's Folly/Follies and the Windscale fire, I thought it worthwhile.

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-windscale-disaster/

"Fast forward a few years, and there's a huge accident in the power station"

The Sellafield fire had nothing whatsoever to do with civilian nuclear power. The reactor in question was producing material to go into nuclear bombs.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That's just the problem with 'dual use', innit?

3. harmjschoonhoven
      Thumb Up

The official Sellafield history is Windscale 1957, Anatomy of a Nuclear Accident by the eminent Lorna Arnold.

16. Mike Moyle

I'm disappointed...

You had the chance to write a headline along the lines of "Ukraine builds world's largest mobile shed," and you just... threw it away.

I've come to expect better of you, Reg!

Coat

Re: I'm disappointed...

I think their headline is better tbh...

2. Stevie

Re: I'm disappointed...

The world's largest concrete mobile shed.

It's the next inevitable phase.

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That photo

"A file picture of a nuclear blast."

... in The Idyllic English CountrysideTM ?

I always thought you guys did your testing in the deserts of OZ?

18. Aslan

Check this out, pics of Miss Atomic Bomb from the Las Vegas News Bureau

Interesting how attitudes to nuclear reactors have changed. They are problematic, still, but the next generation of pebble bed reactors looks interesting.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014/08/atomic-tests-were-a-tourist-draw-in-1950s-las-vegas/375802/

"In true Las Vegas style, the city capitalized on the atomic spectacle. The Chamber of Commerce printed up calendars advertising detonation times and the best spots for watching. Casinos like Binion’s Horseshoe and the Desert Inn flaunted their north-facing vistas, offering special “atomic cocktails” and “Dawn Bomb Parties,” where crowds danced and quaffed until a flash lit the sky. Women decked out as mushroom clouds vied for the “Miss Atomic Energy” crown at the Sands."

19. Led boot

Bureau for weights & measures

"...and in celebration of this momentous achievement we hereby pronounce the creation of a new SI unit, "The Chernobagus", which can be used to describe volume (at approximately 400 Olympic swimming pools), Mass ( at around 30,000 Boeing 747s), and world nuclear cooperation at 13.5 fukushima's..."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon