back to article India added 240m phones/year build capacity in just one year

Between September 2015 and October 2016 India opened 38 new mobile phone factories with a combined peak output of 248m handsets a year. So says a Department of Telecommunications report (PDF) into the nation's “Make In India” effort to kickstart a manufacturing industry. Of the 29 companies responsible, Reg readers may …

1. Ole Juul

the mind boggles

the world now buys about 1.4bn mobile phones a year

I assume that the world also then discards about 1.4bn mobile phones a year.

1. gregthecanuck

Re: the mind boggles

That's no moon...

2. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

Re: the mind boggles

The question is, how many of those phones are smartphones, and how many are not?

2. James 51

Here's hoping that the pollution that has plagued China isn't simply exported to India along with the factories.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, China's coal use peaked in 2014, while India's is still increasing. But, India has excellent solar resources, battery prices are falling, and their electricity grid isn't very good. India's also researching thorium reactors (they have a lot of thorium). Maybe they'll be able to avoid repeating China's experience.

1. Martin Gregorie

Currently India is well on the way to repeating the Chinese experience. I was in northern India recently: the air quality was not good and visibility was frequently poor throughout Rajasthan and across into Utttar Pradesh. The Indians blame diesel vehicles for the pollution, but I'm certain there's a little more helping things along. Certainly the generally calm conditions you get across the Thar Desert and the Gangetic Plain don't help.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A policy that says local manufacturing is a good thing?

A policy that says local manufacturing is a good thing? Isn't that that kind of nationalistic populism evil?

1. James 51
      Devil

Re: A policy that says local manufacturing is a good thing?

It worked for Trump.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like