back to article Jingle bells, RM tells, some staff to go away... via Skype

RM Education sprinkled some festive cheer among its staffers by confirming in a Skype call with them that redundancies are in the offing. In a statement sent to El Reg, RM managing director Toby Black, confirmed "with sincere regret" that 70 people are to lose their jobs across the business, including 35 from the head office …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just close the whole thing down

and put those remaining out of their misery.

{Or just move it to India and see if the same business model works there... NIIT will have a few words to say about that.}

A/C because I have to deal with the [censored] at NIIT every day.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Hear that? It's the sound of the world's tiniest violin.

3. OliP

Hopefully this won't hit coal-face engineers but management deserve a good kicking. Shocking company when I was with them a few years back.

1. J. R. Hartley

Do tell more!!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Potemkine Silver badge

Profit of £7.7m => 70 people are to lose their jobs

You didn't expect the company to be loyal, supportive and faithful towards its wage slaves, did you?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Profit of £7.7m => 70 people are to lose their jobs

Profit of £7.7m with 1600 staff = £4812.50 profit, per staff member, per year.

It's barely worth bothering with those sorts of figures. That's like a software sale or two per year per person. Obviously sales people generate most of the income and the others provide the capability, but averaged out, that's a crap number.

For a huge, national educational supplier, that's a ridiculous number.

Net profit per employee is a great indicator of how well a company is doing.

6. Ynox

Sad for the staffers, but RM machines were crap when I was a kid, and from what I remember horrendously over priced!

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

The 380Z was good...

...the 80186-based PCs, not so much.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: The 380Z was good...

Thank you for my Friday PM blast-from-the-past. I used to love that big black serious-looking box! Years later I just bought one of the boxes to house a home made hard disk (20MB?) for my Atari 520 ST.

1. m0rt

Re: The 380Z was good...

My school had one lying in a room, and they let me have it (this was 1989). Had the graphics card too. Great times. Great days.

7. Norman Nescio Silver badge

8 inch floppy

...or rather, two of them.

I too got to play ahem, study using one of those. The RM Link 480Z machines weren't half so physically impressive, although the big black metal keyboard-sty;e machine certainly had it's own design character. The fact that the top surface was angled, and not deep, meant you could not stand a monitor on top of it.

Frankly, I'm surprised RM has lasted this long. It must have supplied something uniquely useful to the UK education market.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: 8 inch floppy

It's because of the militarised designs that are pupil proof.

Won't be around for much longer though.

8. Simon Beckett

Firing people by Skype?

Have they never watched the George Clooney classic "Up in the Air"?

9. Conrad Longmore
    Coat

Viglen

I'm always a bit surprised when I find that Viglen is still in business too. And that Tom Lehrer isn't dead.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Viglen

Viglen do more than just schools, or they'd be dead in the water. Their ClassLink junk isn't worth the paper, honestly. I've specced school networks with Viglen hardware (server + client, actually rebranded Dell at the time), but never used their software.

However, I just heard that either Viglen took over XMA, or XMA took over VIglen (I think the former). XMA were quite big but they, too, were useless.

Three months after asking XMA to big for a complete print solution for a private school, they phoned me up to tell me they'd go us confused with a similar named school at the other end of the country and "thought it was being dealt with". After losing out on a £50k contract, I gave them another chance and asked for some Chromebooks - this time they couldn't get the management licences sorted in the WEEKS it took to organise, so we told them to forget that too. They still keep phoning me up and, especially recently since they were taken over, are desperate for business and bugging the life out of me. Basically, guys... no.

Seems like XMA and Viglen will be perfect together...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like