back to article Not fake news: Facebook reinvents SVG

Thanks to Facebook, you too can festoon your mobile applications with high-quality, low-overhead vector animations. The social media and data-harvesting giant on Tuesday released its Keyframes library for exporting Adobe After Effects animations so they can be rendered in Android and iOS apps. Facebook developed Keyframes for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Web animations API is already shaping up to be an excellent replacement for SMIL and CSS based animation.

There's zero need for this not-invented-here facebook/adobe crap on the web.

1. Andy 73 Silver badge

Only if you don't need to view it..

It's great there's another specification out there, but if it's not currently supported on IE, and doesn't even have Android and iOS implementations on the distant horizon, are you really surprised that a company with a lot of engineering talent should choose a different approach?

It's no good "It'll be great in a few years time when everyone adopts it" if it's needed now.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Only if you don't need to view it..

Web Animations are supported on Android >= 5. And there are polyfills, although I don't know how good they are.

Although, given Google's track record, it might not be supported on SVG. (Yes Chrome teams: why don't you remove dataset on SVGElement and then, when everybody found the last of the bugs that caused, add it back. FFS.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nobody cares about IE.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The EU tax regulator does.

See what I did there? Boom boom!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"native platforms desperately need to involve animators "

To deliver the next Clippy? No, thanks.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: "native platforms desperately need to involve animators "

But it will be an emotional Clippy.

OTOH, I'm sure animations can be put to good use on UIs for things less inane.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "native platforms desperately need to involve animators "

And probably a chatbot also... but in my experience, almost any animation in UIs are nice the first few times you see them, then just get in the way because they waste user time.

Just a few days ago I had to undergo some mandatory training (the e-learning flavour). The moron who prepared the course thought it was a great idea to use a lot of animations (including text appearing in a typewrite style). What you could probably read in fifteen minutes took an hour and a half at least, waiting for all the animations to finish...

But some animations could be useful, if very little intrusive. Windows that minimize "shrinking" toward the taskbar may give a hint where you can find the window again later. The animation need to be quick and simple - things that slowly slide, scroll, open, or the like become quickly a pain. More complex animations even more.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Gimp

"To deliver the next Clippy? "

No. To deliver the next Gimpy. :-) ---->

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Licence

"The software license for Keyframes is not the commonly used MIT open source license. Rather, it's a BSD-based Facebook license that automatically bans you from using and distributing the code if you directly or indirectly sue Facebook for patent infringement."

I believe the above description to be incorrect. The licence *is* a standard, verbatim 3-clause BSD. What is different is that, along with the licence to use the code itself, they also grant you a licence to use any Farcebook patents that the software, unmodified and standalone, may infringe.

I have no idea why they decided to stick that latter bit on or what the exact implications are. Because of that, personally I would be inclined not to use that code.

4. Whitter
    Unhappy

SVG support

The lack of support for SVG in browser tech has long been a mystery to me. It's hardly new tech.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SVG support

> The lack of support for SVG in browser tech has long been a mystery to me. It's hardly new tech.

For the record, Firefox (well, IceCat mobile anyway) does support SVG. Just checked.

No idea about other mobile browsers.

2. Drew 11

Re: SVG support

The dumping of SMIL within SVG , being replaced with less efficient CSS and "Web Animation" is a mystery also.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

NO!

We do not 'desperately' need web animation. Many of us don't want it at all.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: NO!

We do not 'desperately' need web animation. Many of us don't want it at all.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind permanent inanimation of those who like to slap animations everywhere though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like