back to article Dublin college introduces video game degree

Video game fans may now have a legitimate excuse to spend all day hooked up to their PlayStations and Xboxes - thanks to a new video game masters degree at Trinity College Dublin. Trinity has just added a one-year full-time Masters degree in "interactive entertainment technology" starting in October this year. The course has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Price

Great, but...

Great, but it's nothing new. I graduated Staffordshire University last year with a BSc in Interactive Entertainment Technology, and they'd been running the course for at least 2 years before I started.

2. James Le Cuirot

Steep requirement

I don't think there are many courses with this level of requirement though. I only got a 2:2 so that rules me out!

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Gordon wants Change .... can IET change IT with him?

"Great, but it's nothing new. I graduated Staffordshire University last year with a BSc in Interactive Entertainment Technology, and they'd been running the course for at least 2 years before I started."

And what have you graduated into, Dan? Anything we would recognise as being Interactive Entertainment Technology working?

Are there any Virtual Reality BetaTest Centres? Whenever you have the technology you Build Infrastructure/Society to Support IT Requirements which then Enable Society to Consult for Instruction/Constructions to Build Future InfraStructures with Virtualised Operating Systems/Quantum Computers.

The Network is the Computer and InterNetworking is IT's Quantum Build.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 2.1 requirement may slip over time

I imagine it's being set high for the same reason as there's only 25 places a year; an attempt to foster not just exclusivity but a perception of rarified excellence.

If they get fewer entrants, I'd say it'd slide. It's great that it's postgrad though to weed out 17 year olds with notions about what coding is like.

MikeC

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this news?

We've been running an MSc Computer Games Technology course at Liverpool John Moores since 2001 with students going on to work for EA Games amongst others.

So I'm not sure why the above is news?

6. Chris Cooke

Catching up with Scotland at last

It happened first in Scotland. Or so says the Scottish government, here:

http://www.scotland.org/about/innovation-and-creativity/features/education/gaming.html

7. Ian

2:1 Requirement

It's a Masters degree. It's supposed to be for the elite. It's not supposed to be for the rest of us. I speak as someone who would love to do a course like this, but who messed up finals and got a 3rd.

I seem to remember that the university of middlesex was offering a masters in video game production back in 1994ish. I applied but got rejected. Probably because I got a 3rd and was too thick!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UCC (Cork) has had an M.Sc. in Interactive media for quite a while.

Is this not simply good marketing / hype from Trinity ?

University College Cork's had an M.Sc. in Interactive Media for quite a few years now.

"MSc in Interactive Media (formerly known as the MSc in Multimedia Technology) which again has been updated to meet emerging challenges in the media area. On successful completion of the programme students will have a thorough knowledge of the underlying concepts, technologies and practices of interactive digital media and be able to apply these to create interactive digital media product"

Somewhat strange entry requirements:

"Graduates of any discipline who have achieved at least a Second Class Grade II Honours degree, or those with an equivalent professional qualification, are eligible to apply, provided there is no significant overlap between their previous courses of study and the content of this course. Significant overlap may occur where candidates have pursued a Computer Science course with significant multimedia or digital media content. In these cases the selection committee will decide the eligibility of the candidate. Selection of candidates for the programme is based on academic achievement or on the outcome of an interview. Applicants applying under equivalence require approval from the Faculty of Science"

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

State of the art and Microsoft ?

A "state-of-the-art learning environment" from Microsoft ? What's it going to be like, sitting in the middle of a Blue Screen of Death ?

10. Daren Nestor

This is news?

Seriously, not only have other Irish universities been doing this (or similar) for a while, UL offer this undergraduate course "LM110 Bachelor of Science in Multimedia and Computer Games Development Honours Bachelor Degree" (info here http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/informatics/LM110.shtml),

as well as a taught masters on Interaction Design and have the Interaction Design Centre on campus.

Good marketing from Trinity though!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trinity Marketing

Very true. There's bog all difference, bar that trinity got TV and radio news aboiut theirs, and seemingly international online news space too

MikeC

This topic is closed for new posts.