back to article Scumbags punt Trojan with baby kidnap lure

With a sick email malware campaign, pond dwelling scumbags are claiming to have kidnapped the children of would-be targets of infection. The contemptible junk mail messages attempt to panic recipients into opening email attachment supposedly carrying images of abducted infants but in reality loaded with a variant of the Resex …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rafael

Hijack a baby?

Nevermind.

Also, what's with the new wave of "you've received an e-card with a .exe attached" messages? Five since yesterday, really lame.

The quality of the e-criminals' work is getting worse and worse! We need some educational efforts on this ASAP.

2. Solomon Grundy

We've Kidnapped Your Mother In Law

I wonder what kind of uptake they could get with "We've kidnapped your mother-in-law. If we don't get $50k within 24 hours we'll return her to you and tell her you refused to pay".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Must not have teenagers

They must be counting on the postpartum hormones; any parent of teens would simply respond, "Thank you!"

Mine's the anonymous-looking one, since my teens have been known to read here...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and what exactly is a fume?

I got a bunch of these this morning and have been wondering.

5. Andrew Tunney
    Thumb Down

We've hijacked your baby....

Yeah I got one here in Oz yesterday and immediately thought that it was pretty low to stoop to that level, let's hope that the relevant law enforcement agencies catch these a**holes and give them the sentence they deserve.

As a parent, there are some lines that you just don't cross - this is one of them.

6. Gareth Irwin
    Paris Hilton

I remain

Astounded each day by the amount of junk mail with Paris Hilton in the title, its really quite amazing.

I wonder if she ever realised this would be her fate?

The most amusing and bewildering so far is Paris Hilton Steals Pugs Bus

I like to blindly click the links and see what happens because I am a mac user.

7. The Mighty Spang

dumb

why send out stuff like that in the school holidays when chances are they are under you feet and you wish somebody would take them away?

8. sean
    Paris Hilton

re We've Kidnapped Your Mother In Law

How about ...

"We've kidnapped your mother-in-law. Give us $50k or we'll send her back"

That would surely get a better, or more profitable, response.

Paris, cos if you kinapped her, you'd want to give her back. Eventually.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has nobody asked yet?

WTH is a "fume", and how did they get a picture of it?

10. iamzippy
    Thumb Up

@Solomon Grundy

Man, that's priceless.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh

this isn't a new low, I mean, pretending to nick a baby (which in most cases wont even exist) or trying to leach off the deaths of hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands in disasters like tsunamis or hurricanes. Which ironically is big business in the states, just look at all that lovely new orleans real estate that poor black people couldn't come back to claime coz the government wouldn't let them back in which just ended up in the hands of big development companies.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LET KidnappedBabies = KidnappedBabies + 1

Not wanting to piss on anyone's chips here, but when this email is read, would there really be a situation where the parent thought "oh someone's kidnapped my baby - better just check - ooh bugger me, they are missing an' all!" Or would they do a quick headcount, visually or telephonically, and conclude that all known babies / children are accounted for? Even Homer remembered he had a baby called Maggie in the end.

(Watch someone ignore this but comment on the use of BASIC!)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I've taken your wife hostage. If you don't have a wife I have kidnapped your brother.

Nod if you understand. Good. Now back away from Burns and I will let your dog live.

Sounds about like Homer Simpson making a threat to me.

14. JCL

@Andrew

You don't have to be a parent to think that this is a line you don't cross.

15. Alan Fisher

Lock 'em up and melt the lock

Simple solution, make the penalties for hackers like this severe and crank up the ways of tracking them down and finding them, even offer rewards for finding them....these people are criminals and have to be tracked down, found and locked up just like any others

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Chris

Good Lord man, use COBOL or Pascal, anything but BASIC! Think of the children!

(someone had to do it)

17. daniel
    Joke

This is a Belgian virus

Please kidnap yourself, then send us $50 000

18. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Paris

Loads of Paris-related spam. These are my highlights:

Paris Hilton Vows Not To Write Book Until She Reads One First

Prince Harry Proposes to Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton Had Sex With Aliens

Paris Hilton Pregnant By Aliens

Aliens Deny Impregnating Paris Hilton

Unhappy to be in work,

Ciarán

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well, crud

And here I was, thoroughly enjoying the spam mails about Paris Hilton's or Britney Spear's misbehaving vagoo.

I even made a "The Best of Spam" for a couple of days, where I copy-pasted the most inane celebrity e-mail subject lines into a storyline worth X-Files.

[SPAM] Paris Hilton crack to be filled

[SPAM] Paris Hilton Pregnant By Aliens

[SPAM] Paris Hilton Returned By Aliens

[SPAM] Paris Hilton Declared National Historic Landmark

And one more political one:

First, she parties hard!

[SPAM] Paris Hilton Gets Busted After Three Day Celebration with Al Gore

But of course this is traitorous behavior!

[SPAM] Ann Coulter Wants Paris Hilton Sent To Guantanamo

Well, Ann Coulter gets whatever she wants to have, but wait! A surprise-twist!

[SPAM] Paris Hilton Gets Religion, Says She is Saved While in Prison

And of course one faithful likes the other one...

[SPAM] President Bush Pardons Paris Hilton

Good thing that the faith won't prevent this, though.

[SPAM] Paris Hilton To Pose Nude For Playboy

20. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One step too far, most assuredly

A message like that could, I think, be construed as a threat and thus, I believe, fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI, which is a sight worse than being in the crosshairs of local law enforcement.

I wonder if anyone could try and get the feds in on this to catch the spammers and, if so, woe to the ones who live in the States !

21. Charles Champness
    Coat

cheap antivirus solution...

...use a spelling and or grammar checker.

...just checking if my baby (ie. cattleprod) is still in the coat pocket where i left it.

22. andy gibson
    Coat

In other news

A Boeing 747 has been kidnapped.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I like to blindly click the links and see what happens because I am a mac user.

I knew Macs came with an IQ cap ;P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like