back to article Midi-archive box from WD stops at 19PB

WD has announced an ActiveScale P100 system for storing object data, scaling from 720TB to 19PB (raw), and forming an entry-level archive product tier well below the 672TB to 35PB Active Archive system. WD now has a Data Centre Systems business unit, DCS, which includes the SanDisk InfiniFlash and HGST Active Archive System …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That makes a 720TB entry system cost $158,400 at list – so not cheap. El Reg storage desk thinks that if it uses 10TB disk drives, then it only needs 72 of them and the effective per-drive cost is $2,200. You can buy a 10TB helium-filled Ultrastar He10 for $525.00 on Amazon."

No, no, no. See, that $2200 per drive is to cover the original drive, and the annual replacement drives for it over the next four years when each of them fails. WD will be lucky to break even on this.

Not that I'm still sore at WD for the crappy drives they put out 15-20 years ago...

1. Mark 110

If they really can (me? cynical? surely not) do 15 9s then I guess thats what you are paying for. I would be very selective about the data I wantted to archive at that price.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Joke

Not that I'm still sore at WD for the crappy drives they put out 15-20 years ago...

I know! I'm still not touching Quantum, Maxtor, IBM or Micropolis hard drives! Give me Conner any day!

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

"I know! I'm still not touching Quantum, Maxtor, IBM or Micropolis hard drives! "

Don't forget PrairieTek - that was the first IDE drive I bought in 1991, and I'll never buy another one. (although to be honest, I still have that drive here in my desk drawer as a memento of the Good Old Days, when plugging in the laptop connector backwards meant a fried drive).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Connector?

It still has the standard 5-pin connector, right?

3. David Austin

Mildly Disappointed

This isn't an article about someone finding a huge stash of 1990's Cakewalk and Sebelius files.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like