back to article Cheer up, world! AWS instances just got cheaper

Amazon has rolled out yet another cut to prices for Amazon Web Services server instances. The cloud backbone and Bezos cash cow says the price drop will cover multiple regions and will include the pay-per-hour on-demand instances, the pre-paid reserved plans, and full-machine dedicated host instances in Elastic Compute Cloud ( …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Your move Microsoft?

Gonna reduce that price increase now?

I'm sure a lot of IT Departments would be interested in your response.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Your move Microsoft?

Why would they? So long as the cost to migrate is higher than the price delta...

1. smartypants

Why would they?

New business = tomorrow's mainstream.

They might be protected by migration cost inertia initially, but I wouldn't bet on it as a long term strategy, compared to price competitiveness.

2. katrinab Silver badge

Amazon bill in US$, so it is still more expensive if you pay in £.

1. HmmmYes

I upped vote you.

Sadly, as it the way MS roll.

But gladly as I dont have any exposure to MS.

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

If IaaS pricing is your only concern then an A2 is still half the price of a c3.large for similar processing power and more disc space. Instance types are different, which makes sensible cost comparison tricky but the general rule holds across the range.

Same story with GCS.

Instance pricing isn't the whole story though.

1. Gorbachov

If IaaS pricing is your only concern then an A2 is still half the price of a c3.large for similar processing power and more disc space.

Come now, that's just dishonest. A2 is comparable to t3.medium, so about ~20% more expensive in Azure and c3.large is comparable to F2 which is ~18% more expensive (Sydney DCs). Remove a few % for disk costs in AWS.

I had to switch from AWS to Azure and I'm just stunned at some of the money-draining shenanigans in Azure - "premium" PaaS instances, charging collection in their NoSQL DB, etc. AWS is fairly straightforward with their pricing in comparison.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oddly enough many large companies don't really worry about money fluctuations as much as they like to make out.

I know, as a company, we bank up millions of dollars and euros when the going is good, and pay with those at times like these. Once the exchange rate improves, time to bank them up again.

We're only an SME, so you can bet the huge multinationals do it on a much bigger scale.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Depends if you have shareholder dividends to pay, I would imagine the bigger the company the less likely they are to rely on practical measures like saving for a rainy day and the more likely they are to use the very nature of being global to just financially manipulate the problem away.

It may even be cheaper to borrow these days than save, why have millions in the bank earning almost nothing that you could use to invest and grow?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like