back to article World+Dog predicts new iPods, Macs imminent

The net's abuzz with anticipation as to what Apple's going to announce at an event said to be taking place on 9 September. At the very least, new iPods seem certain to be unveiled shortly, and quite likely new laptops Macs too. First, it's important to note that Apple usually announces iPod refreshes late August/early …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Not a camera

The area on the CAD drawings of the new iPod touch that I assume you think is for the front facing camera, isn't.

It's for the ambient light sensor, which exists on current iPod touch models too... So that's nothing new.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

Company to announce new products

A company may be announcing a new Product soon. In other news, ursine predators defecate in areas marked by high density tree-growth.

3. Torben Mogensen

Netbook/laptot?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple soon announces a small form-factor laptop in the style of Eee and its rivals. It could bridge the gap between the iPod Touch and the MacBooks. The most likely configuration would be ARM-based (like the Touch and iPhone) and sport a touch screen in addition to a keyboard (like the new Intel Classmate) and run a mixture of software from the Touch/iPhone and MacBooks. They could revive their old iBook brand name for such a beast.

4. Darren Burrows

late to the game again?

THe pic of the macbook pro is a mockup, done by a macrumours forum member. Nothing to see here, move on.

5. Paul Livingstone
    Thumb Down

Why GPS?

What's the point in the iPod Touch having GPS if it doesn't have consistent access to the web (3G/EDGE) to pull down Google map tiles?

Sure, there's always wireless, but most wireless web connections I've used (via iPhone) are only available either inside or 2-3 feet from buildings... where you can't get a bloody GPS signal anyway!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Nano designs

"Digg.com's Kevin Rose last week forecast a new Nano design - thank god; the current one's awful"

Something like the original iPod Mini design would be nice, as long as they keep a similar quality display. I bought an 8Gb Nano as a birthday present for SWMBO and was gobsmacked by the display quality, and the sound quality wasn't half bad after I'd swapped those crappy white headphones for a decent pair of Sennheisers.

A 16Gb flash version of the Nano would do very nicely, thank you, and can they please put a decent keyboard on the Macbook [Pro|Air] - everytime I have to upgrade the MD's Air I keep having flashbacks to the 8bit days; at least a Spectrum keyboard was nicer to type on.

7. Alexis Vallance

Still waiting for an iPhone Nano

I'm not sure what else they can really do with the Touch, apart from drop the price. The original one is an iPhone really, despite what the article says.

Every iPod Touch sale is a potential iPhone lost sale, as they are basically the same.

I'd love an iPhone Nano for the simple reason I won't buy the phone as it is because I already own one in the form of the Touch.

8. Rob Crawford

Oh bloody typical

I was actually going to say am I the only person in the universe that prefers the current iPod nano shape.

Then I realised that everybody I have ever spoken to prefers the squat version, the screen is a nice size, the track pad is a decent size, and it not only sits nicely in the palm of the hand but can also be tucked away into a regular wallet.

I just bought an iPod touch and it's pretty OK (though it's very noisy with decent headphones (ultimate ears in this case)). Gps would be nice on it if it had downloadable maps.

I would have preferred a 16 gig Nano to the touch, however as I refuse to use an HD equipped iPod it was the only option available (I'm definately not gullable enough to buy an iPhone)

9. supermeerkat

re: Still waiting for an iPhone Nano

"The original one [iPod Touch] is an iPhone really, despite what the article says."

No it isn't an iPhone, as it doesn't contain a phone. C'mon think: tt's not rocket science.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Alexis

> Every iPod Touch sale is a potential iPhone lost sale, as they are basically the same.

Well, except for any features that work over the mobile phone network, such as making and receiving phone calls, having voicemail, sending and receiving text messages, accessing any internet-based services (web, email, Google Maps etc.) where there's no Wi-fi, GPS, etc.

For anyone that wants a PHONE - the iPod touch is not a substitute.

11. fluffy

@Rob Crawford

"I would have preferred a 16 gig Nano to the touch, however as I refuse to use an HD equipped iPod it was the only option available (I'm definately not gullable enough to buy an iPhone)"

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but all the Nanos are flash-based. Only the Classic is HD-based.

12. Rob Crawford

err

I didn't really think that my posting was that obscure

I wanted more than 8Gig and find apple kit with HDDs in them incredibly prone to failure.

So to stick to Flash based I had to go for the iPod Touch, personally I think the form factor of the current Nano range is the best one they have come up with.

My household (and also mates) have went through too many HDD equipped iPods, whereas my old Creative Zen survived everything except my wife losing the bloody thing (it is probably still running)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like