back to article Asus readies fourth incarnation of Eee 900

This is getting silly. Asus is planning another variant of the Eee PC 900 in addition to the three models already carrying the 900 moniker - and the nine other Eee-branded mini laptops Asus currently lists. This time it's the 900HD, a hard drive equipped model that's just turned up on the US Federal Communications Commission …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

FFS - another new SSC

Why dont they stop producing 1001 optional models and offer a custom build option, or get the community to spec the nexr model out.

This could be done on a website and users vote on the spec and price point of the next release.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I really want

If Asus/Acer etc read this, this is what I'm really looking for. I want it 80% for web-browsing when watching TV, so it should be turn on and start, but maybe the option of wordprocessing other stuff

Fast boot is essential - sub 20 secs - so probably Linux and SSD only

Prefer a touch screen

Screen 9 inch 1078x600

Good WiFi

At least 2 USB ports

Sub £100 (no more than £150) - so $200-$300

Can make the keyboard optional/detachable to reduce price if needs be.

I'd buy three for home use - one for me, one for my wife and one for the children so we can all be online at the same time.

3. Craig

All these models

... and they still haven't got the feature/price ratio down to what I want. Some of these small cheap computers aren't really that cheap anymore (compared to laptops), yet there's still too much compromise.

4. jkkmobile

No link to source?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=930822&fcc_id='MSQEPC9GE703'

5. Julian Smart

Stupid number of Eee PC models now

I recommend netbooks to friends, and have a couple of Eee PCs, but with the ridiculous plethora of Eee PC models it's becoming easier to recommend one of the competitors, which have better keyboards while being cheaper than the larger Eee PCs. What's with the scattergun approach, Asus? You're confusing and alienating customers now.

6. Joe K
    Stop

"This is getting silly"

Oh it got silly a LONG time ago Tony.

Obviously Asus consists of nothing but managers having meetings about new models to throw desperately onto the marketplace.

Commodore and Sega made the same company-destroying mistakes, you fools!

7. Mickey Porkpies
    Thumb Down

Asus on self destruct

Someone stick a pin in the dilbert at Asus who is trying to make the eeepc less and less like a usable mini notebook! add a useless battery giving you 1½ hours, stick in a slow energy hungry crashable hard drive and you have just exactly what you didn't want to buy. They will be badging them up as sports cars and overcharging for poor laptops next! ...ooops

8. W

Verdict

"There's no doubt, the Eee PC 901 is the machine the 900 should have been but wasn't. It's got more features, a better processor and graphics, much longer battery life and yet costs less. Even if the 900 was slightly cheaper, we'd still go for the 901. Anyone who decided to ignore the 900 and wait for the 901 instead, will find they did the right thing." - El Reg, in thr review for the EEE 901

Clearly, the 901 is the version to go for (EEE 1000 review pending).

So why are all these 900 variants appearing?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I fear that...

...its a test shell not the real thing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like