back to article Russia to block LinkedIn over data domiciling issues

Russia looks to be on the verge of blocking access to LinkedIn because it claims the site isn't complying with its law requiring Russians' personal data to be stored on Russian soil. Local newswires Interfax and Tass both report that the Tagansky District Court has upheld a complaint by Russian telecoms regulator Roskomnadzor …

1. raving angry loony

"wrong office"

Because of course there's no such thing as inter-office mail or even couriers when an entire country tells you that no, your business won't be allowed to operate in that country unless you follow the rules. I wonder which jobsworth at the "wrong office" decided that no, they could just ignore it because hey, it was sent to the "wrong office".

What a bunch of fucking tossers. LinkedIn, that is. Russia will probably be better off without them.

1. Ole Juul

Re: "wrong office"

Tossers is probably a bit mild. Facebook and Google had this stuff sorted a year ago. It's not like it comes as a surprise to anybody who is even mildly cognisant of reality. In any case we would all be better off without LinkedIn. I, for one, am tired of getting people's stupid invitations.

1. Sleep deprived
        Thumb Down

Re: " I, for one, am tired of getting people's stupid invitations."

That's because people are stuping enough to open their address book to LinkedIn.

I'm not on LinkedIn and I regularly receive such invitations from friends with whom I have absolutely no professionnal relations. I must assume LinkedIn also sends invitations to their ex's if they happen to be in their address book...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, any legal request must be addressed to the proper office to obtain also a proper receipt it has been received. I you want someone to follow your rules, you must start following the rules too - something that Russia doesn't like at all.

Anyway, LinkedIn will be better without Russia too.

1. Ole Juul

"No, any legal request must be addressed to the proper office to obtain also a proper receipt it has been received."

This is not a request.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Did you mean it was an order by the Napoleon sitting in the Kremlin?

1. Ole Juul

"Did you mean it was an order by the Napoleon sitting in the Kremlin?"

It's just a law. Everybody else is just following it like they do with all laws in whatever country they operate. This is not unlike a parking infraction in that arguing that you didn't get a letter with your personalised warning delivered to your preferred address is not going to get you off. Note too that pretty much everybody in the world with an interest in internet regulations is aware of this Russian legal requirement. Most countries (Including Canada, where I live) have had similar laws for quite a while now.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, any legal request must be addressed to the proper office

Last time I checked the person who is obliged to register the proper correspondence address with the relevant data protection authorities in any jurisdiction (Eu, Russia, US, Canada, etc) is the corporation, not the government.

The fact that it went to the wrong address means LinkedIn operated in Russia in violation of their data protection laws by not registering correctly with their equivalent of DPA. So by admitting it they just asked to cop a fairly solid fine. This is to start off with. The penalties to follow will frankly be well deserved.

If you want to run a business in a country you have to comply with their laws. I know - this is very difficult to accept for a USA corporation, that is why we have TTP, TTIP, etc being steamrolled on the rest of the world.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

What time is it at LinkedIn?

What time is it at LinkedIn?

12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russia this week also floated a bill bill that to The Register's eye

Looks like a set of amendments.

1. Very well written technical definitions - this was not written by a legal critter like the telecoms crap which goes through the US congress or the UK parliament. This was written by an engineer. Applause.

2. The emphasis is on infrastructure resilience, not on cutting off. Albeit, if it takes cutting off to keep the system in piece it can and should do it - nothing in it prohibiting it. It basically specifies that government is entitled to keep the net running by whatever f*** means necessary and where it can apply said means necessary.

3. It has quite a bit on regulating peering points too. Peering points (and if I read it right people who peer) are obliged to publish peering policies, etc. Not surprising - if you are going to add any measures to keep the net running in an emergency you need to know where can traffic go and how.

UK has the same it is just not written out properly. In fact, it is not written at all as it supposedly does not exist. There is a reason why the LINX CTO job requires a security clearance which is not even in the official list of clearances, ya know... (that as a result of a mistake by the LINX secretary in 2007 is now public by the way - it leaked in a job spec posted on cwjobs).

3. PassiveSmoking

Russia blocks LinkedIn.

LinkedIn spam plummets overnight.

And there was much rejoycing.

4. Mage Silver badge

Linkedin are Spammers

Also encourage privacy theft. They encourage users to "share" their email address books / accounts with them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's too bad...

My latest LinkedIn contact, a certain V. Putin, was just about to 'Endorse' me for several skills. A very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. ...

6. Brian Miller 1

Suspiciously down right now

Looks like the whole of eu area is having trouble connecting right now. Suspicious much?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like