back to article Sony: Get out Comedy Central, MTV – we've built a wall around Vue, the greatest wall ever

Sony is set to axe a handful of popular TV networks from the PlayStation Vue streaming service. The console maker slipped out the announcement on Tuesday as most of its customers were otherwise occupied, notifying them that, as of 12:01am Eastern time Friday, all channels on the service owned by broadcasting giant Viacom will …

1. Haku

"we've removed a part of the product so we can offer the best value to you..."

I've heard that sort of spiel before, quite recently actually...

OI TOBLERONE! GIVE US BACK OUR TRIANGLES!

2. Youngone Silver badge

The horns of a dilema

It's really hard to know who to hate more, the awful Sony who have taken so much of my money over the years and given me cheap tat in return, or Viacom who I have nothing to do with but are a huge US media concern so probably torture kittens in their spare time.

Also: What is irksome is that Sony/Playstation are totally clueless.

That just needs a fullstop at the end.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The horns of a dilema

"Sony who have taken so much of my money over the years and given me cheap tat in return"

If you offered it to them why shouldn't they take it? You didn't have to do so if that was your view of what they were offering in return.

2. Blank Reg

Every Sony product I own still works perfectly, TV's, DVD and Bluray players, playstations, even my original Sony walkman still works.

Ok, there is one camera that died, but I suspect that may not Sony's fault, it wasn't them that dropped it in the lake.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My Sony KDF 50" rear projection TV developed a big red stripe on the screen (and after warranty period of course), and the Conax socket (for paytv card) never worked properly. Sony refused to fix it or help in any way.

My current Sony LED is 5 years old and still works.

Based on my anecdotal evidence 50% of Sony TVs die in a few years.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"and the Conax socket (for paytv card) never worked properly. Sony refused to fix it or help in any way."

Why didn't you take it back to the seller and demand a repair or refund then? Yeah, it's Sonys fault it never worked, but unless you bought it direct from Sony then your contract of sale was with the seller. Even if you did buy direct from Sony, same thing applies. It doesn't work,, from new, repair or refund.

3. Ambivalous Crowboard
    Pint

More wall-building headlines/subheadlines please

I can take at least another few months of this before I won't laugh at each and every one. Please proceed!

1. Geoffrey W
      Happy

Re: More wall-building headlines/subheadlines please

Ya know - I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it. Now, its going to irritate the heck out of me. Thanks a bunch! :-P

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And don't forget the Great Again meme, even if it does grate now and again.

1. Captain DaFt

"And don't forget the Great Again meme, even if it does grate now and again."

So you're saying that over use of that meme will make El Reg grate again?

1. Haku

I'd stick to the cheesy jokes, they work best with the grater meme.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd stick to the cheesy jokes, they work best with the grater meme."

What? You something like:

Yahoo! We ! Won! Grate! Wall! Of! America! Starts! Construction! In! January!

3. Blank Reg

I say we continue with the wall building theme until he actually completes the wall, so I guess that means forever.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"other" viewer.

Who really cares about TV today unless it is for the children (who probably watch too much, but whatever), I mean really care enough? There is "other" means for adults to watch TV, which every day I mind the "other" means less and less because of greedy situations this article describes. Nickelodeon is being removed and probably will not be substituted by anything half as good. But at least the white collar adults will have NBA TV...

And people wonder why "other" means of acquisition just makes more and more sense. Tell you this, children who like watching Nickelodeon on ps4 are now softened to the future acceptance of "other" means thanks to these types of switch-a-roo financial schemes. Loose 10,000 viewers today to ensure you loose 1,000,000 tomorrow.

NOTE: I'm only classifying my viewing habits as "other" because that is the name of the category my viewing habits fall under in the Nielsen ratings.

5. dubious
    Angel

Yay cloud.

Oh, look, an online service provider that unilaterally changed the terms and capabilities of its service with no consultation or interaction with its consumers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So in non-biased reporting, this means that Viacom hiked their prices. Sony had to choose between cutting their channels or raising the price of their service. They decided to cut the channels.

Soon Viacom will cave, and Sony will re-add them to the list. This will then be reported as Sony caving by anyone who is biased in favor of Viacom.

7. fishman

Adding / Dropping content

Streaming services (like Netflix) add and drop content all of the time to keep from having to raise prices. Nothing new here.

I've got Playstation Vue, and watch it on my TVs hooked up to Amazon Fire TV devices. It allows up to 5 TVs to be used, plus tablets and phones. Along with access to ESPN, Fox Sports, NBCSN, and Playstation Vue apps on phones, tablets, and Fire TV. And unlike cable TV, I can drop it easily.

8. travellingman_us
    WTF?

Bundling is intrinsically bad

this is why I hate cable, and hate bundling.

Why can't i just subscribe to the channels I want? I don't want to subscribe to PS Vue, or to Hulu, or even YouTube.

I want to subscribe to individual channels that interest me. Surely in the age of Stripe we can solve the subscription problem? If I can subscribe to 50 channels, including major sports, for $30 [via Hulu], surely we can get the individual channel cost down to, maybe, $1-2 a month each? Why should HGTV be used to subsidize MLB?

But - note to CBS: Your back channel isn't worth $6 a month [with ads!] so STOP TRYING TO GOUGE ME!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon