back to article Computer glitches force US election poll stations to stay open for longer

Polling stations in the swing US state of North Carolina will stay open late after mystery glitches stopped electronic voting systems from working. The board of elections in the political battleground voted within the past hour or so to allow eight precincts in Durham and Columbus counties to stay open past the previously …

1. Alistair
    Joke

Oh NO!

Open late? Polling stations? that means the illegals can get there in time to vote!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...a career politician with a corner-cutting private email server..."

Let's try that again, with the spin disabled:

"...a State Department figurehead with an unaccountable illegal email server..."

1. EJ

Unaccountable? Yes. Illegal? No. Let's see how fast either side moves to close that loophole once and for all. Hint: not fast.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have heard tell of this mysterious and rarely explained "loophole" in the Law. Many swear that they have seen it, yet they cannot describe what they saw to others in a way that's comprehensible. I am skeptical, and lean towards the idea that it's just the usual elitist favoritism we have come to expect from our would-be masters. Hillary simply IS above the Law, so these petty government regulations just don't apply to HER.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Oengus
    Pint

Election night live...

Bring on the popcorn and beer. Its time to watch the newest comedy channel...

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Election night live...

After a couple of 6-packs the babble mouths might make sense.

2. Allan George Dyer
      Mushroom

Re: Election night live...

@Oengus - First comedy channel to hand out nuclear launch codes... watch out for the punch line!

4. Pompous Git Silver badge

a career politician with a corner-cutting private email server

Shirley that means she's being sued by Apple for having rounded corners...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: a career politician with a corner-cutting private email server

@Pompous Git

I doubt the corners were rounded off - would have taken too much effort. More likely hacked (off)!

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

I doubt the corners were rounded off - would have taken too much effort. More likely hacked (off)!
        More a matter of the electors being hacked off methinks ;-)

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Mushroom

I wonder if she is planning on holding the nuclear launch codes on her personal Blackberry?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If so, we'll need a new nickname for the device. "The Football" just won't cut it for Hillary. "Kill-switch" is more her style.

5. P. Lee

Need more popcorn!

And more fuel for the generator...

I'll be so quaint when it's safe to re-emerge.

6. Nolveys
    Thumb Down

Paper and Pencil

When it comes to voting nothing beyond the understanding of a lobotomized tape worm should be accepted. Print the ballots on paper, have voters clearly mark them in pencil and have volunteers representing ALL parties monitor the process and count the ballots, manually.

Any system of voting that requires electricity for anything beyond the overhead lights (and even this should be optional) needs to be cut into little pieces and sent to the scrap yard. Anyone responsible for implementing such systems needs to be fired...out of a cannon...into the sun.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Paper and Pencil

When it comes to voting nothing beyond the understanding of a lobotomized tape worm should be accepted.

Unfortunately given the way things are going it seems that includes the electorate.

It's been nice knowing y'all.

2. Shane 4

Pencil are you crazy?

Pen only!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seems Trump was right - the election has been rigged - how in hell else could an obnoxious, sexist, racist iijit like him be winning, unless it's been rigged for him?!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because the riggers (corporate media types) don't actually control the voting process itself (yet). Thus they were forced to try manipulating reality, as usual. They failed to scrape up enough delude-able low-fo voters this time, and Bob's yer uncle, President Trump.

7. smudge
    Joke

Didn't they know what day it was?

Computer glitches force US election poll stations to stay open for longer

I told them Patch Tuesday was a bad time to have an election.

8. Alister

an obnoxious, bullying ham robot with one too many authoritarian programs installed

Careful, your editorial bias might be showing there... :)

I find it interesting that Donald has consistently maintained that the election is rigged. Should he win, does that mean that the Democrats can legitimately call the result into question, and if so, what could he say?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I find it interesting that Donald has consistently maintained that the election is rigged. Should he win, does that mean that the Democrats can legitimately call the result into question, and if so, what could he say?"

It all sounds frighteningly familier. The Brexiteers never really thought they would win so had no plans for what to do if they did. Trump claims it's all rigged against an "outsider", so how does he justify that now? Surely, as you say, if it's rigged, and he won, then by definition, it's a fraudulent and therefore invalid election.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "Should he win, does that mean that the Democrats can legitimately call the result into question..."

Um, no. If Rocky (before the big fight) suggests the Mob has gotten to the judges, and yet he heroically wins anyway by a knockout, can the Mob then claim Rocky rigged the fight?

"Someone rigged it, he said so! And he won! So he did it!"

See what I mean? Ludicrous.

9. Captain Badmouth
    Windows

It's not a glitch, it's a feature...

Vodkas all round, comrade!

Icon : Future rust belt worker.

10. Denarius
    Happy

XP or Win2000 still in use ?

or has Win95 had a swansong ?

11. Scoured Frisbee

I know it's late and no one cares, but as a local I wanted to set the record straighter:

- the story is just wrong, at least this area always uses bubble-in paper ballots - the BoE administration is as luddite as you (we) lot. I gather two precincts lost internet connections early in the day (AT&T/TWC area), and those precincts had to revert to paper voter rolls. Presumably it took some extra time to reconcile voters between paper and electronic rolls over the phone or whatever.

- Durham is the largest individual Democratic stronghold in NC, by far - about 75% Democratic to 20% Republican over 90,000 votes, which is not out of line from previous elections. (There are more heavily Democratic places in NC, but with fewer voters.)

- As a result of the reversion to paper rolls, the Durham precincts stayed open 90 minutes after the rest of the state. I don't quite understand this, since we've been voting in the normal timeframe with paper rolls until this year, but I guess the verification delay with territories where the computers worked...?

- By coincidence, the Republican governor was somewhat in the lead until the Durham results came in very late, with almost exactly 90000 votes, and 5000 extra flipping the tally to his Democratic opponent. (Out of 4.5 million votes cast...) Now they are counting provisionals and absentee, and recounting Durham, as it stands it's a complete unknown who will be governor in February.

To be fair I think it was just a random snafu and handled as well as reasonable, but I can see why some people think it was a setup: of all the hundreds of precincts in NC, only the Democratic ones stayed open an extra 1.5 hours, they were open until all the other precincts reported, and then they produced almost exactly enough votes to flip the gubernatorial election.

Also, IT angle, n+1 redundancy - hopefully they'll have 3G modems next year...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like