back to article Other smart phones are people too, says ex-Apple team

A team of former Apple engineers are promising to bring TV-like simplicity and some iPhone touches to the task of finding and consuming media on any smart phone. Their company, Kinoma, is today launching a smart media browser and player - Kinoma Play - to search video, photos, music, radio and podcasts on your phone and online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan

Que??

Linux accounts for about 19 per cent of the smart-phone market versus around five per cent for Windows, according to various figures. Linux is expected to outsell Windows by 2013.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Abstraction Layer?

I wonder if this is finally "Amiga Anywhere" making an appearance? Abstraction Layers and smart phones are what Bill McEwens been banging on about to himself for years now... Oh look, there goes a squadron of pigs by my window too!

I hereby announce my intentions to refer to the Amiga at every possible opportunity... If Webster can rant about Macs at the most tenuous of links then I can bring Amigas up whenever I like! ;-P

//IT because no-one, not even Bill McEwen, is sure if *IT* actually exists!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Kinoma?

Didn't they put out a Media Player for PalmOS years ago, which wasn't all that great because it only played back their proprietary format?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Grrrr

"he led the Apple engineering team that made Apple's QuickTime a cross-platform player"

So HE's the one responsible for slowing so many computers down with yet another pointless load-at-startup system tray icon that can be disabled with no ill-effects.

Line him up in front of his equivalent from real player and let me save a bullet by getting them both with one (although they've probably never heard of efficiency!)

5. Surur
    Flame

Where the hell do you get your figures?

Linux is behind a lot of dumb phones, but these phones are not a platform you can program to in a consistent way.

I have not seen such an Apple-loving article in a long time (On the Reg at least).

You should be ashamhed.

6. Andrew Roberts

@anonymous coward

"I hereby announce my intentions to refer to the Amiga at every possible opportunity..."

You can as long as you also refer to Latin as that's also dead...

7. buddypepper

@ Kinoma?

No. Kinoma doesn't HAVE a format. Their PalmOS media player is (not was) an absolutely essential app - lets you watch YouTube, listen to internet radio, podcasts, etc...basically, it lets you play just about any media form you'd ever want to.

"Play" is simply the Windows (port) version of their existing MediaPlayerEX for PalmOS. It's identical, only now for Windows....

8. Darryl

In the words of George W. Bush

"Linux accounts for about 19 per cent of the smart-phone market versus around five per cent for Windows, according to various figures. Linux is expected to outsell Windows by 2013."

So Doesn't that mean Linux is already outselling Windows by almost 4 to 1? "Mission Accomplished" on the 2013 thing then.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Figures wrong

So, a quick google and I find the following for worldwide smartphone market share by OS:

"Here, Symbian dominated with a 65 percent market share, compared to Microsoft's 12 percent, RIM's 11 percent, Apple's seven percent, and Linux's five percent."

The report was Feb 10, 2008, and was on a Linux website talking about a Canalys report. The US market looks a bit different with RIM at the top, followed by Apple, Windows, Palm and then Linux so far behind that it doesn't even register. Of course, the US is so far behind in the mobile phone game, that it isn't even relevant.

10. c

Linux smartphones - they dont exist

I cant for the life of me think of a single Linux "smarphone" device shipping in commercial quantities anywhere in the world so HTF are they accounting for "19% of the smartphone market"? Even the linux based "dumb" phones of which there are millions shipping worldwide every week are completely closed - they might as well be proprietary closed OSs.

Doing a little more digging it appears the referenced gartner report is counting shipments of Japanese i-mode phones as "smartphones" in the 19% Linux shipments. This is just pure bollocks and shows just how useless gartner stats are. And the stats a 3 freaking years old.

The reg can do better than this crap.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like