back to article Unstoppable Huawei draws level with Apple

Almost two years ago The Register predicted that Huawei would become Samsung and Apple's "worst nightmare" and the claim earned plenty of derision*. But it's happening – and faster than anyone expected. Huawei is now vying with Apple to be the world's No.2 phone maker and is better placed to profit from Samsung's Note 7 woes …

1. William 3 Bronze badge

Brooklyn Beckham?

Star?

Of what exactly, coming out of the right vagina that got impregnated by the right cock?

1. smartypants

Re: Brooklyn Beckham?

Worked for the royal family!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apparently he's a teen model.

3. Commswonk

Of what exactly, coming out of the right vagina that got impregnated by the right cock?

I may sound prudish, but it really is not based on that; how I wish I could unread the above.

As far as I am concerned the "Beckham" would be an ideal name for an SI unit of vacuous pointlessness.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

... or an El Reg unit.

2. smudge
        Holmes

"Of what exactly, coming out of the right vagina that got impregnated by the right cock?"

I may sound prudish, but it really is not based on that;

Well of course it isn't. She had all her kids by C-section. The origin of "too Posh to push".

2. Little Mouse

There are no constants in this world.

The older I get, the more everything around me seems to change.

I'm off for a Toblerone to cheer myself up.

1. Chemist

Re: There are no constants in this world.

"I'm off for a Toblerone to cheer myself up."

I assume you mean Toblerone_lite ? It'll be KitKitten next. (Why have a break when you can have a Brexit ? - sigh)

2. P. Lee

>I'm off for a Toblerone to cheer myself up.

The chocolate formerly appearing as Toblerone.

1. Aladdin Sane

Probably hurts less though

1. Danny 14

New toblerone looks stupid with all those gaps.

3. Slx

The reality is that they're almost two parallel markets because of the differing ecosystems.

Huawei is more likely eating other android OEM's dinner. I would suspect those growing Huawei sales are in reality coming from Sony, HTC, LG and even Samsung's market share.

I'm not being an Apple fan in saying this, but the two business models are very different. Apple makes far more profit from a smaller market share than any of the Android OEMs ever can because it owns the entire ecosystem and can sell services in or take % cut on services sold through the AppStore.

When an Android OEM sells a phone, they're making money on the hardware and are often selling in services that aren't all that great or don't hold their own against Google. So, the majority of the potential revenue streams are going to the Play Store and Google Play services.

Apple's in a very unique position in the mobile market at the moment. Whether they can maintain it long term is another question, but for the short to medium term they look pretty much a safe bet.

1. Arctic fox

@Six Re "....... they're almost two parallel markets ........."

I agree with much of what you have said however I would point out the following. Apple has been very keen to really make progress in the Chinese market. That is now going to be a lot harder with the progress that Huawei has been making. Given Apple's dependence on the iPhone as its biggest earner in a market which is displaying signs of slowing down in the West (in common with the table and pc markets which started doing this earlier) it is very bad news for them that the last big one (market that is), China, has companies that can really give them a run for their money (literally and figuratively). Apple's increasing dependence on one product as far as its hardware sales are concerned leaves that side of their business looking vulnerable for the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Six Re "....... they're almost two parallel markets ........."

People always bring up Apple making money on services, but that's really peanuts compared to what they make off selling the phones themselves. The reason they do better than Android OEMs is because they don't sell low end phones. Companies like Samsung, Huawei and so forth may sell some high end stuff, but the majority of their sales are lower price phones with low and often negative margins. To the extent Huawei succeeds in selling higher end phones, they're eating Samsung's lunch, not Apple's.

Obviously Apple wants to do better in China but everyone compares their sales to their high water mark in 2015, without realizing that Apple satisfied two immense sources of untapped market that year. One, they finally supported China Mobile, the world's largest carrier with 700 million customers. Two, they finally introduced larger iPhones. The Chinese are crazy for larger phones - they are the ones who created that market after all (Samsung may have first popularized them in the west, but Chinese companies were there first by over a year)

There's no way Apple was going to be able to maintain the market share they got in 2015. There's also a lot of nationalistic pride in China, where people want to buy Chinese products instead of western products. It used to be western products were a status symbol, but now it is seen as more patriotic to buy their own products. That hurts not only Apple, but also Samsung, and helps Huawei, Xiaomi etc.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Going to be very interesting, given a saturated market at this stage.

Unless Wha-wee can come up with something totally radical and new, it will not be able to overtake Samsung any time soon.

I'm using a T1-701u mediapad, and it's a nice little phablet. Only place where it falls down is firmware upgrades. Would've loved to have Cyanogenmod on it, but ah well. Battery life's excellent so far.

6 months more and I'll be able to upgrade to a new device, but am not so sure what it will be at this point of time, since Samsung seems to have explosive issues with some of their kit, and I have sworn them off until such time they sort themselves out. Apple? Nein danke. So it'll be either Huawei or Wileyfox or any of the hundreds of other Android pimps out there.

Unfortunately we only get old kit on affordable prices here in South Africa as pricing on new kit is set to tear you several new ones...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you look on Aliexpress or similar there are hundreds of Chinese cheap high spec'd nice looking phones. If they could get the software right (i.e. smooth experience and regular updates) and make a play for the European market, the likes of Samsung would be eaten for breakfast.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

If they could get the software right

But that is a big, and expensive, if. Huawei has built a huge HQ here in Düsseldorf. No doubt it's mainly to serve the network operators but some of it will also be for the channel.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Choices

Can't decide what my next phone will be. LG, OnePlus, Xiaomi or Huawei... The choice is endless.

7. HmmmYes

Red Army Ponzi scheme.

8. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Facepalm

>>>"It used to focus on price-to-performance ratio," Canalys' Ben Stanton points out. "This was a good disruptive strategy at the time

So, now selling an average product at a not-so-bad price is *disruptive* strategy? Glad Huawei has such marketing mavens, no one short of a genius could have thought of that!

Whoever uses that word in public should be dragged out and shot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon