back to article Your weekends may be safe, admins – IT giants tout 'zero outage' tech

Tech's big names have jumped into bed together to create an industry standard that's supposed to make products less prone to failure in the cloudy era. Founding members include HPE, Cisco, Brocade, HDS, Dell EMC, Fortinet, Juniper, NetApp, SAP, SUSE and integrator T-Systems. The plan is to work on a Zero Outage framework …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

"meet certain criteria,"

Ha Ha Ha

Laudable but hilarious.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "meet certain criteria,"

Laudable but hilarious

I'm going to skip the "laudable" because they are effectively admitting they've been lying to their customers. Not that that is a surprise, only that they are admitting it - wasn't the whole cloud thing sold with the idea of reliability and always on (casually omitting the fact that even if that was true you'd only get to those resources via a network that you would NEVER get any uptime assurance on)?

But yes, we old folks already knew that. We also know that reliable IT isn't a novelty at all - most of us have run services that we only rebooted every year to get some dead processes out of the way and to test startup recovery, not every day because the OS and code we were running was so leaky it couldn't hack more than 48 hours without running out of memory.

So hurray, be happy. The old guard has retired, so we can recycle all that lovely marketing.

And lie again.

2. AndyS

"Your weekends may be safe"

Oh, so the kit can also stop cleaners unplugging servers, road diggers cutting cables, and office busy bodies tidying up nests of wires?

That's clever.

1. toughluck

Re: "Your weekends may be safe"

I guess they'll be partnering up with US Government and licensing SDI from them as well.

2. Triggerfish

Oh, so the kit can also stop cleaners unplugging servers, road diggers cutting cables, and office busy bodies tidying up nests of wires?

Was exactly my thought, they getting rid of the humans then?

3. Dominion

You allow cleaners near rooms housing servers? You deserve every call out you get!

1. Charles 9

Unless it's REQUIRED due to say sanitation issues?

3. toughluck

The digital world is increasingly dependent on IT. (...) Therefore manufacturers and service companies are growing a sense of urgency for an uninterruptible supply of their services.

About bloody time? They're growing this sense now?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notably missing, IBM?

1. seanf

Their ethics manager decreed they sit this one out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nah, they had to perform "resource action" on the ethics people, so there's no-one left there. Also the software people, the engineering people, and the "finding their arse with both hands people". They still have plenty of managers though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Announcing... Bullosity

My 'zero bug' framework suitable for all systems and all languages. Bugs will be a thing of the past*

(* terms and conditions apply, after using Bullosity(tm)(r)(c) systems may still exhibit more or less behaviour facets that may be perceived to be at slight odds with reasonable or unreasonable expectations - UDRs (unexpected deviations from reality), here's my invoice, Amex will do nicely thank you very much)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Zero Downtime*

*excluding planned downtime, platform upgrades, natural disasters and unforeseen circumstances.

7. TRT Silver badge

HPE...

I'm sure King's College will be endorsing their input to the proceedings.

8. David Austin

I think it's time for a Douglas Adams' quote:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

1. Charles 9

Re: I think it's time for a Douglas Adams' quote:

I have to wonder if a plan can exist that can account for a twin meteor strike (or one big one) that can (and according to Murphy, WILL) take out every redundancy at once with no chance of mitigation.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

What brand is it?

What brand of snake oil is it this time?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon