back to article ARMed and dangerous, Mate: Huawei slips new Cortex cores into Samsung Note killer

Huawei's chance to seize upon Samsung's Note 7 woes has come, with a new phablet and a Porsche Design-branded sibling. The Mate 9 was unveiled in Munich, Germany, on Thursday, and ushers in EMUI 5, a user-interface skin more familiar to European and US punters. The handset runs Google's Android 7. Huawei has also introduced a …

1. whoseyourdaddy

You know you're doing good when they're down to bitching about the size of your bezel.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

Interesting price

I guess that Apple will have to put its prices up again to compete with this.

The can't be seen to NOT be the most expensive phone on the block.

{see Icon}

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Interesting price

Joking aside, Apple never tried to compete price-wise with Vertu, did they?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yes, but does it feature a hotplate accessory?

The Note 7's ability to double as a cooking surface for my morning bacon and eggs whilst waiting for the bus was an invaluable feature!

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Yes, but does it feature a hotplate accessory?

"The Note 7's ability to double as a cooking surface for my morning bacon and eggs whilst waiting for the bus was an invaluable feature!"

Apple have already shipped phones that have this feature, maybe you can toast some popcorn with it while the Apple warms up it's lawyers for another round. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Apple have already shipped phones that have this feature, maybe you can toast some popcorn with it while the Apple warms up it's lawyers for another round. :)

That or while I wait for the grammar police to act on that apostrophe atrocity…

1. Roo
          Windows

"That or while I wait for the grammar police to act on that apostrophe atrocity…"

I can live with that. :)

2. Baldy50

I would rather have one of these as a pocket warmer!

http://www.lighters.uk.com/zippo-hand-warmer-polished-chrome-zippo-40282.html?gclid=COfKs_mokdACFUMTGwodHSEHkg

4. Chris Evans

4,000mAh but how long will that last?

Battery life in normal usage is surely one of the most important specs?

I see no mention of that. If Huawei don't say surely the reporter should point that out.

I'm left presuming it is bad!

5. Francis Boyle Silver badge

If it doesn't have a stylus

it's not a replacement for the Note, just a big phone.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"256GB of storage and 6GB of RAM, and a QHD (1440 x 2560) display"

Sounds good. How much?

"The Porsche Design Mate 9 will set you back $1500"

Hahahaha. Never mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I'm not looking for that in a phone, but that in a single-board computer would be real nice!

Been doing a bit with ARM lately, and the ability for my host's CPU to be able to natively execute the binaries that run on the target machines would make software development a breeze.

The way x86 is shrinking into highly integrated blobs like the Nuc, laptops and all-in-one desktops, moving across to a beefy ARM SoC isn't that much of a big step, and it's not like I'm carrying legacy baggage like Microsoft software around anyway.

So there you go Huawei, a product idea: consider taking that SoC and sticking it on a RPi clone.

7. MT Field

Is it just me

Or is this front half Samsung and back half HTC?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bezel

Too narrow of a bezel isn't always a good thing, i.e. accidental icon presses.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note killers?

Went through Gatwick the other day, we were all told to hand over all the notes in our wallets (Southern rail, who can't run trains on time and also can't be bothered to do customer information announcements featuring any relation to reality), then airport security asked about "smartphone Note 7" devices … but only the airline on-board announcement actually described the Samsung Note 7 as "now classed as a munition"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like