back to article Five-a-day energy drink habit turned chap's eyes yellow, urine dark, caused anorexia

Don't overdo the energy drinks: even five a day can hammer the liver. That's the warning from the British Journal of Medicine, which carries a case study of a 50-year-old American who turned up with hepatitis caused by niacin toxicity. The dangerous number of gives-you-wings-rockstar-monster-whatever each day would, we dare …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Back when I was in college I would leave my assignments until the last minute. So I'd usually start them at 6pm the evening before they should be handed in. I'd drink Relentless (hadn't long been out) to keep me going, and I'd rock up to college before midday the next day with 3 assignments all completed. I'd then go to a gaming place (like a glorified LAN party building) and stay there until about 11pm. When it got to 1pm I would be flagging and started to pop 2 Pro-Plus along with the relentless - like an absolute moron. I felt my heart do 3 beats for every beat if that makes sense. "bump bump bump, bump bump bump".

I did this though for a few days on the trot, until every time I drank relentless I would get sharp pains in my stomach. I knew at the time though that these drinks are full of chemicals and really aren't good for you, so I don't drink them now. So I don't know how anyone can think drinking Red Bull, even one, is good for them or are surprised their body starts to fail because of all that sugary chemically goodness.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Far be it from me to throw the first rock

I've never been interested in any soft drinks except Coke (the original - with sugar please). Since I was fifteen I'd been drinking more than a 1.5 liter bottle per day. Right up until my 48th birthday I thought everything was fine and I'd never have to change - a carryover from teenage invincibility, I guess.

Except invincibility does not last. I did a blood exam that year and my doctor called me back a few weeks later to explain that I had to change my died because of cholesterol and elevated acid in the blood (that was the Coke). That was a mean surprise, not because I had to abandon Coke, bacon and pork in general, but because I'd never had anything wrong before in my life. My blood tests at 35 were perfect - I still have the results.

But here I am, 50, and avoiding pork and Coke like the plague. My blood tests are better, but I need to lose some more weight.

This just to serve as a cautionary tale. 33 years of not drinking water will create issues.

Drink more water, kids.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Far be it from me to throw the first rock

"Since I was fifteen I'd been drinking more than a 1.5 liter bottle per day. "

Well, I'm 29 and I have a similar intake. I've two bottles of Dr.Pepper on my desk, I think these will be my last after your tale.

But do you REALLY have to give up pork? What do you do after a night out? Eat a salad sandwich?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Most doctors would probably tell you there is nothing wrong with a tasty bacon sarny every now and then (like, once a month). But moderation is key. Stuffing your maw with whatever pork products come in front of you is never a good idea.

(Unfortunately I have developed an intolerance to pork meat and pork products and thus have to lay off entirely...)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"(Unfortunately I have developed an intolerance to pork meat and pork products and thus have to lay off entirely...)"

Intolerance to pork or an intolerance to the endless nitrates and other preservatives, water retention agents, flavourings and colourings most pork products are loaded with?

2. Fred Dibnah

Especially if you are bidding to become prime minister.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: But do you REALLY have to give up pork?

Pork is apparently a cause of cholesterol, and when you've passed the age the 40 things start to add up. At one point or another, you will have to adjust if you want to stay fit.

I intend to stay fit before my heart forces me to make that decision. That is why, in accordance with my doctor, I have removed Coke from my diet entirely, and almost entirely removed pork as well. My evening meals are now almost exclusively vegetable-based, and I have reduced my cheese intake by an order of magnitude (a difficult decision for a Frenchman, but it had to be done).

Live your life fully, by all means, and take advantage of your youth while you have it because otherwise where would the fun be ?

But pay attention to the signs. When the direction they take points to a negative value, I strongly suggest you sit back and take stock of the situation. Living on any medication is a nuisance, and diabetes - although manageable - is a very real threat. I believe it is best not to have to deal with such things, and I have made my peace with the consequences.

Which does not mean I don't have pizza every now and then. It means I only have it every now and then, once a month on average. And I avoid spaghetti carbonara entirely. I prefer having made those decisions before a doctor tells me that I have to.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Pint

@Def

Definitely a regular surrender monkey now.

Soon become a Light version :)

Have an upvote for humor !

2. Elmer Phud

I don't drink 'energy' drinks and coke rarely but BACON?

Jeez, that's tough.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That was a mean surprise, not because I had to abandon Coke, bacon and pork in general, but because I'd never had anything wrong before in my life. My blood tests at 35 were perfect - I still have the results."

When the body ages it becomes less efficient at everything including processing food and drink. Who knew?

Honestly, if you're still on the same crap diet in your 40s or 50s as you were in your 20s then you should expect problems. This isn't rocket science. In other news - people over 40 tend not to win 100m olympic golds either.

Thank you, boltar, for your shining example of tolerance, humanity and understanding.

The world is like it is today because of people just like you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Thank you, boltar, for your shining example of tolerance, humanity and understanding."

There's too much tolerance and understanding of idiots today. You drank 1.5L of coke a day until you were 48 and became diabetic. Well there's a shock. Do you know how much sugar you were taking in each day? Of course you did, you just didn't care. So understanding? On your bike. Frankly I'm surprised your liver didn't pack up and that you still have any teeth left.

@boltar

until you were 48 and became diabetic

You're jumping to conclusions. I never said I was diabetic, I said I wanted to react before getting to that point.

But hey, squashing people without actually understanding what they say is a regular Internet passtime.

Carry on !

2. ecofeco Silver badge

I'm not getting the hate, boltar. This is science. Have an upvote from me.

You cannot keep constantly eating crap over the age of 40. Some of you obviously have a problem with facts. Darwin Award candidates the lot of you.

4. King Jack

It matters not what you do, when you start to get old your body changes for the worse. That is why companies want to sell you over 50 plans because they know at 50 health issues start to manifest.

I'm not saying drinking Coke is bad, it's just that anything including water in excess is bad for you.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

I don't see how ANYBODY can drink Red Bull. It tastes like fucking liquid shit mixed with gasoline and turpentine.

When people say "it's all matter of taste" I tell them that most people literally have NO taste.

3. Brian 3

It's the chemicals!!! It's always the chemicals, you can't trust anything that clumps together like that! I've never felt better since I started the Dark Matter Diet 2 years ago! I lost all my weight!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

It's always the chemicals, you can't trust anything that clumps together like that!

I once got asked to leave a 'natural' heatlehfood/suppliments place when I questioned their "we don't have chemicals in our stuff" claim[1]..

I only asked how their vitamin C was synthesised.. (and no - it isn't from artisanal, hand-squeezed oranges - it's from the usual glucose-synthesis route).

[1] Being brought up by an industrial pharmacist leaves you somewhat cynical about the claims of such places..

2. bpfh

"Jesus load of caffeine"?

Jesus load of sugar more likely... I've had swiss coffee with cream and 2 sugars in a goblet that contains 3 times the caffeine than monsterockbull... Same energy boost. Tastes better, does not disolve your teeth. Cheaper too...

1. Elmer Phud

Re: "Jesus load of caffeine"?

There's a lot of crap goes in to mask the sweetness and other crap to mask the masking things.

But fuck that caffeine, nasty stuff.

Never like seeing truck drivers with the shakes at the same fuel stop as me don't want to be anywhere near them on the road.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

Do anything to excess is stupid

There is nothing wrong with having the odd Red Bull or whatever. Just like there's no problem having the odd night out on the boozer, the odd time eating a tub of ice cream in a single sitting or anything else that is "bad" for you.

But when you make a habit of it, that's when it becomes a problem. Anyone who drinks 5 Red Bulls in a day is being daft. Anyone who drinks 5 Red Bulls a day for a week deserves whatever retaliation their body decides to give them!

1. Dr Spork
      Boffin

Re: Do anything to excess is stupid

Not at all convinced his "five a day habit" is necessarily excessive, or the cause of his ills, as has been so widely and enthusiastically reported by the mindless mass media. Even though it would exceed the recommended maximum intake.

Call me old fashioned but I'm inclined to think it possible that THE PATIENT'S CHRONIC HEPATITIS C INFECTION could, just possibly, be contributing, in some way, to those "hepatitis like symptoms."

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

What's wrong with coffee

Five-a-mug per day keeps you going (just barelay)

It's probably going to hit the liver a bit at some point though.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: What's wrong with coffee

Well, there's always the possibility that you're so knackered because your liver's finally decided to go on strike as it's not a coffee filter with the consequential rise in toxins floating round your bloodstream and you're relying on yet more coffee to keep you going.

Enjoy your cuppa.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

I'M ACTUALLY TRYING TO REPRODUCE THE MIND_ENHANCING EFFECTS OF THE SPICE!!

I don't think scientific evident has proven anything about coffee killing you nastily.

The usual sinus wave of coffee good / coffee bad in the churnstream medja is of course expected...

2. Mark 85

On the bright side, reports of late indicate that coffee is a great source of anti-oxidants. Which is a bonus as without coffee, I'm a dead man walking.

1. Scroticus Canis
        Unhappy

Re: "without coffee, I'm a dead man walking"

Lucky you. Without coffee I'm an old fart grumbling!

I did taste red Bull once, that was enough.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

coffee is a great source of anti-oxidants.

So is your normal metabolism. Otherwise humans wouldn't have survived this long without all the modern amenities..

(And anyway - your system *needs* a certain amount of anti-oxidants in order to work. They certainly are not the enemy that the woo-woo brigade insists that they are..

And while we are on the subject: 'detox' diets are a waste of time. Discuss.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

And while we are on the subject: 'detox' diets are a waste of time. Discuss.

The value in 'detox' diets isn't all the horseshit mumbo-jumbo pseudo-science blabbering. It's the slight fact that while you're drinking all this super-wonderful-rainbow-unicorn-superfood tripe you're no longer eating and drinking to excess all the bad stuff. The lack of the bad stuff is what gives you the benefit, your body already the best anti-oxidant system in place already.

As long as you understand this and don't inflict fad diets like these on growing people (non-adults, breast feeding, pregnant, etc.) and only do them for a short time then they will work for you.

The down side of these fad diets is that your body will take sweet revenge on you during the week (constipation or other) and after the week is over unless you're very careful you will rapidly put the same or more weight back on... classic yo-yo dieting.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Holmes

The thing with caffeine is that your body adjusts to it within about two weeks.

So, after two weeks of one cup every morning, your body will require that one cup just to get up to normal waking levels. Stop drinking caffeine for a couple of weeks and you'll be back to normal.

If you don't want to feel rubbish in the morning just go to bed earlier, or get up later.

4. Swarthy
      Headmaster

"It's probably going to hit the liver a bit at some point though."

Nope. Coffe is actually good for the liver, 2-3/day cups seems to reduce your risk of liver disease significantly. Your kidneys on the other hand... too much coffee and you will be throwing stones.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Five-a-mug per day keeps you going (just barelay)

And if you gave up the habit you would find (once you have gone through the withdrawal symptoms) that the craving for coffee is withdrawal from the caffeine and that your system adapts to life without being constantly stimulated.

5. frank ly

WTF?

Who had the idea of putting 200% of the RDA of niacin in a retail/leisure drink? The RDA is about 15mg a day and the 'Tolerable Upper Intake Level' is 35mg a day. Excessive niacin is known to cause medical problems.

They should be sued and fined.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF?

I thought Niacin was a Pokémon?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They should be sued and fined."

The company that made it, or the idiot that drank it?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What I'm wondering is why they chose niacin to lace it with. Cyanocobalamin/methylcobalamin is the B vitamin supplement famous for giving you "energy" (or "wings" - if they must), deficiency of B12 is not uncommon, excess is readily excreted and it's safe in doses tens, if not hundreds of times greater than the RDA.

Niacin must be cheaper.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

They should be sued and fined.

They should be put out of business.

6. disgruntled yank

Or, for a double whammy

Riding public transport these days means that one gets to hear half of many inane conversations. Of the few that have stuck with me, one had a young man on the bus end, discussing among other things the virtues of Red Bull and vodka: the caffeine counteracted the sedative effect of the vodka apparently. It hadn't occurred to me that it would add to the effect on the liver also.

When my father was still driving cross country, he took to consuming the American soft drink Mountain Dew in preference to the coffee one can by at highway stops, which he found usually burnt and always too hot. Mountain Dew has a very high caffeine load. It also is as nasty a soft drink as I have ever tasted; in comparison, Coca-Cola is grand cru.

1. ma1010
      Megaphone

Re: Or, for a double whammy

I knew a young fellow (mid 20's) in the legal profession who loved his Red Bull and vodka drinks. He ended up with serious damage to his heart from it. He had to lay off the booze and caffeine completely. He wasn't yet 30.

Folks: JUST DON'T DO RED BULL AND VODKA. The caffeine and booze don't cancel each other out, but the two can cancel YOU out.

1. Chris G

A fair number of young clubbers here in Ibiza end up in A&E with irregular heart rates due to Redbull/Monster etc mixed with vodka and used to wash down ecstasy or MDMA, the same kids also inhale nitrous oxide from little sparklets bulbs.

Unfortunately, the heart problems occasionally turn out to be one or two that have stopped.

I drink mostly tea plus an odd coffee here or there and a glassof wine in the evenings, all of the Redbull drinks are without exception, disgusting and vodka dislikes me as much as I dislike it.

I'm old enough for a pension, just checked my heart and it's still there and I still eat bacon and a little of other pork products but I keep reasonably fit and always have done, once you get used to staying fit it becomes natural to do rather than a chore so I guess I have that on my side.

Oh, cheese is fundamental to life, I hope I don't have to give that up any time soon, I sympathise with you Pascal.

just checked my heart and it's still there and I still eat bacon and a little of other pork products but I keep reasonably fit and always have done

As the saying goes: "all things in moderation"

Red Bull and vodka: the caffeine counteracted the sedative effect of the vodka apparently

Previous colleage of mine once drank lots of those at a Christmas party. He hated the aftereffect - he knew he was drunk and wanted to sleep but couldn't..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I'm on a long bike ride, I get a RedBull and a Mars bar (other products are available...) every time I fill up with Petrol (about 180 - 200 Miles), so depending on road conditions that's about every three hours.

Keeps me awake, but wouldn't want to do that for more than a day or two.

Windows

According to the excellent book "Generation Kill" (also watch the HBO Miniseries, it's that good!), US Army Ranger PFYs operating Hummvees partake of Ripped Fuel, then get the shakes on the wheel. I don't know whether the formula of that shit has changed since Dubya's War, it has been some time (Man ... I remember Rummy on CNN ...)

1. The Indomitable Gall

" According to the excellent book "Generation Kill" (also watch the HBO Miniseries, it's that good!), US Army Ranger PFYs operating Hummvees partake of Ripped Fuel, then get the shakes on the wheel. "

That's nothin -- Hitler gave his troops crystal meth.

1. W4YBO

Re: That's nothin -- Hitler gave his troops crystal meth.

US Strategic Air Command Airborne Alert crews in the 60s were also supplied with methamphetamine (pharmaceutical grade crystal meth). I suspect most governments have done similar.

2. You aint sin me, roit

and the blitzkrieg was fuelled by amphetamines...

Highly effective... for a short period of time.

Remember kids, just say no.

Re: and the blitzkrieg was fuelled by amphetamines...

Yeah, but the Army guys buy their stuff at the local Army Walmart, helicoptered into the Saudi desert directly from 'Murrica courtesy of Halliburton or whomever.

Re: and the blitzkrieg was fuelled by amphetamines...

WWII allied troops were given Dexidrine tablets if they were in extended combat operations..

3. Swarthy
        Mushroom

I loved Ripped Fuel! Two of those and a MOAC (Mother Of All Coffee - 8oz of espresso and 16 oz of drip-brew) would have me good for the day. A dirty chai latte would be a nice wind-down in the evening.

Yes, I did have headaches when I got home, why do you ask?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> When I'm on a long bike ride, I get a RedBull and a Mars bar

The Mars bar will be physiologically counterproductive as it will cause an increase of insulin thereby causing a net decrease in metabolised sugars. Try some banana or avocado instead. Or a small pack of good quality crisps (replenish salts + psychological boost).

The Red Bull is probably fine, although personally I won't touch that shit with a six foot pole. I prefer a degassed Coke or Irn-Bru on mountain runs of four hours or longer.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wow

everything in moderation...Who'd of thought it.

Why aren't people being told this?

What? They are, but it's easier to blame everyone else? No, surely not?

9. D@v3

Monster (other enrgy drinks are available, and probably much the same)

I have a friend who does / did surveying work, he once recounted a trip to a Monster factory, and about the large vats of (somewhat) volatile chemicals that could not be mixed together, until they were mixed with other, agents. Swore him, and me, off it for life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Monster (other enrgy drinks are available, and probably much the same)

So there is not only Monster, but also Agent Smith in the can, too?

2. ecofeco Silver badge

"Energy" drinks are vile nasty shit and only morons with literally no taste drink them.

Did I offend anyone here? I'll try to care what a moron thinks. Naw, just kidding. Sod off.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

:)

To counter this, while I generally just can't drink red bull as it's foul all round although I have, of course, in the past drunk it with vodka in bars. On the other hand some of the no-sugar diet drinks are actually palatable with the M&S own brand particularly so with the Tesco own brand and Sainsburys own brand equivalents being reasonably drinkable as well. They're still probably dangerous as hell just for different reasons and compared to a coffee which consists of 75% sugar with a topping of caffeine and water probably quite healthy.

10. Aladdin Sane

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Bless the Coffee Maker and all His Water. Bless the churning and bubbling of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you see sponsored athletes drinking Red Bull

and the can hasn't been opened in front of you, there is a good chance it is not Red Bull.

They're just filled with the athlete's choice of favourite drink. On one occasion, we have repeatedly filled a can with beer at a semi-public get-together after a sports event. This way, any photos that may leak will not embarrass the sponsor.

Same goes for any other sponsorship, btw.

12. JDX Gold badge

WTF do you mean "EVEN 5 a day"?!

5 energy drinks a day is a hell of a lot, surely nobody thinks that's a normal amount to drink even those who drink them?! 5 cans of coke a day is a lot, 5 packs of crisps a day is a lot, 5 MArs bars a day is a lot, 5 pints a day is a lot...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: WTF do you mean "EVEN 5 a day"?!

Five pieces of fruit a day?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Five sexual intercourses a day is a lot, although the girlfriend strongly disagrees. I'm a wasted man. :-(

1. Anonymous C0ward

My heart bleeds.

13. Yugguy

daft twats

Unless you are ill, climbing everest or staying awake for 48 hours straight you do NOT need these things.

And the mongs who drink redbull and vodka and wonder why they feel shite crack me up, one's a stimulant, one's a depressant you morons.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New disclaimer at the end of every Red Bull commercial?

Red Bull gives you wings*

*(read in micro-machines voice) Caution, do not take internally. May cause retinal yellowing, liver failure, wandering bladder, and a black inky discharge. Red Bull gives you wings in the spiritual sense, not the literal sense. Harp and white robes not included.

15. PaulR79

Shocked, I am!

"even five a day can hammer the liver."

Damn.. I guess it's back to only four a day for me.

Seriously, who would ever say "only five" or "just five" a day is healthy? I used to drink 2x 330ml cans of Coke or Pepsi a day for a long, long time but I always understood that the sugar and acids in the drinks was bad for me. I have perhaps 1 - 2x 500ml bottles a week now and mostly drink a lot more water or diluted juice. I don't drink tea or coffee*.

*I know how weird that must be for so many to see.

Re: Shocked, I am!

I used to drink 2x 330ml cans of Coke or Pepsi a day for a long, long time

As I was becoming t2 diabetic (a combination of genetics, stress and being very slightly overweight even though my BMI[2] said my weight was ideal) I was drinking Lucozade in order to counteract the feeling of being tired all the time..

Just as well I was on monthly blood tests for the arthritis treatment - I got a call to go and see my GP ASAP. They took a finger-stab sample and my blood glucose was at 24 (normal is 4-8).

[1] Mothers family pretty much all become t2 diabetic - even the ones that live healthy lives.

[2] Another utterly useless measurement. I had a small amount of fat round the waist (pinching about an inch!) but certainly wasn't outside the normal curve for my height, build and age.

16. Stevie

Bah!

No sunburn sensation? The flushing and "feel the burn" were the worst parts when I had to take Niacin.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I studied caffeine and its effects at uni; I wouldnt touch even instant coffee or bog standard tea for 5 years.

As for "energy drinks", they contain ~ 20% of a lethal does for the average adult.

Caffeine is psychotropic drug similar to heroin, in that it is addictive, acts directly on the nervous system and you develop a tolerance to it.

Hence the regular overdose deaths, you need to take more and more to get the same "hit" you got when you started.

Caffeine also causes paranoia and mood swings; I read a scientific paper that said 40% of patients admitted to one New York psych hospital were cured by regulating their coffee intake.

yeah, thats me - white hair, glasses, and feeling a bit blue right now.

bog standard tea for 5 years.

Point of order - the caffeine in tea is pretty low - the majority of the active principle in tea are theobromines..

18. ecofeco Silver badge

Outlaw non-food

Half the products made and called "food" should be outlawed.

Energy drinks are at the top of that list. Fruit juices without real fruit juice are close behind.

ANY damn thing with high fructose corn syrup and canola oil.

1. LINCARD1000
      Pint

Re: Outlaw non-food

Guessing it's similar in other countries, but fruit "juices" that contain less than a certain % of real fruit have to be labeled differently. So when shopping it pays to check whether you're buying a fruit juice or a fruit drink.

Some fruit drinks have probably never been near a real piece of fruit during their entire time in manufacturing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon