back to article Hull's City of Culture firework freebie flares up

A stampede for free tickets to Hull’s UK City of Culture fireworks display this morning brought the website offering them to its knees – still, the organisers only had nearly four years to prepare. The northeast enclave, whose digital hub is said to be blossoming, was told in 2013 that 2017 would be the city's year in the …

1. POKE 649,0
    Coat

"Northwest enclave"???

As a Hull born lad I quite like being described as culturally and ethically distinct up here but geography anyone?? Last time I checked the compass Hull was in East Yorkshire on the East Coast. ;)

I don't think i'll even attempt to get tickets however, probably watch this from where I work on the river side from the top of the tall white building you see as you drive into Hull.

Best wrap up though so i'll definitely be getting me coat. :)

1. Paul Kunert

Re: "Northwest enclave"???

Quite right sir, I've corrected it. Not sure what happened there... I was in that part of the world not long ago. Best, Paul K at The Reg

2. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

Perfect example of shite coding!

So the second the tickets at the end of the queue are no longer available, don't immediately notify all punters in the queue that there are no more tickets, nope, simply keep them queued slowly informing them one-by-one as they're dequeued that the tickets have all done! Brilliant design!

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

Entirely predictable

I don't know why organisers of events and those launching products always go for the 'mad rush' approach which inevitably fails, leaves lingering resentment, leads to criticism and many people complaining of unfairness. It always brings out the worse in people and sullies the whole affair.

It would be far better to let people apply for tickets over a longer period of time then select the lucky winners later. At least people will only be upset at not being lucky enough to get a ticket, not riled and infuriated at the unfairness of the process and incompetence of the organisers.

4. Chris Hunt

Who needs tickets anyway?

It's a firework display. Go to somewhere near where it is. Look up.

1. Chris G

Re: Who needs tickets anyway?

I've been to Hull a couple of times in January; Bloody cold, sleety and a miserable bloody barman is what I remember.

You'll be lucky to get a firework lit if the weather is anything like it was when I was there and given that the average display firework goes off at about 150-200 metres, it will be 100 metres higher than the cloud base.

I wish them good weather for it. Oh, and some happy barstaff too.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I was thinking that

Then I realised: Due to IP laws anyone how intends to outdoors nearby during the event will be required to wear a blindfold. Not to worry, they will send you one free. Just go to their website next Friday morning.

5. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

<p>in a queue for 1 hour 40 minuets</p>

At least you were able to do some dancing to while away the time

6. oomwat

Black Rock City (of Hull)

Yeah, queueing websites worked out really well for Burning Man ... perhaps Hull should follow their lead and go with a lottery instead :D

7. You aint sin me, roit
    Trollface

Sad lack of technological nous...

Just blame it on a massive concerted Russian DDoS attack like everyone else does.

8. Karl Proctor
    Thumb Down

The whole process was a complete nightmare. Once through the queuing system, I was presented with a page with no links to the event. After finding the link, I had to edit the URL for the page to load.

Not a good user experience, although I did get my tickets

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon