back to article Cloudflare ordered by judge to help unmask two website owners

A subpoena can be served against Cloudflare compelling it to reveal the identities of two website owners, a New York judge has ruled. The content delivery network has effectively been told to identify the people behind LibGen and BookFi in a copyright infringement lawsuit brought by academic book publisher Elsevier. "The …

1. Ole Juul

Elsevier is a pirate.

And anti academic. The sooner we get rid of this scum the better.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Elsevier is just a commercial publisher. It's the academics who measure themselves or others on publications and not quality of work that create a scenario in which this business model can flourish.

In the past publishing in academic journals may have made sense. These days anyone can self-publish so the journals bring two things - peer review and an audience.

The former is of limited benefit now that anyone can comment, critique or reproduce. The second sites like Sci-Hub can provide.

[and I do own shares in Elsevier's parent, as will many of you]

1. Mage Silver badge
      Pirate

Peer Review

Yet perhaps half the papers are rubbish, because the peer review is absolutely rubbish.

"Elsevier is just a commercial publisher."

No, commercial publishers PAY the writers. Elsevier behaves like a Vanity house. They are charging the writers, providing poor peer review (the peer reviewers usually are not paid by journals!) and overcharging readers and especially researchers for access.

The charges to readers might be justified if they where Marvel, Netflix etc, or paid for quality peer review but still it would be wrong as they don't pay writers. Elsevier is in a dominant position and stifling research. Boycott publishing on them or paying to read.

Elsevier doesn't pay for the research either which is a LOT more expensive than writing for Mills & Boone.

So who are the pirates, the bandits?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Peer Review

>> "Elsevier is just a commercial publisher."

> No, commercial publishers PAY the writers. Elsevier behaves like a Vanity house.

It's worse than that. Elsevier has been taking freely available work and paywalling it without permission, then getting the non-paywalled copies taken down.

That's fullscale piracy. If the shoe fits....

Their activities have had a major chilling effect on scientific publication. Their business model needs to be terminate with extreme predjudice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Elsevier is such a blight on academia...

Why doesn't someone like Google launch a free competitor using something like Google Docs. I'm sure they would love the extra eyes on pages and additional ad revenue that would bring with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If Elsevier is such a blight on academia...

Google is just another pirate.

4. Andrew Commons

Who Is....

The WhoIs information for the sites leads to WhoIs Privacy Corp domiciled in the Bahamas.

Their web site claims it will protect your identity as the owner of a domain and only reveal it under specific circumstances. These include "To comply with a subpoena or other legal process served upon us.".

I would assume that Elsevier drew a blank here as well if they are now going after Cloudflare.

It is not at all surprising that the domain registration process allows this to happen.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Who Is....

"I would assume that Elsevier drew a blank here as well if they are now going after Cloudflare."

They may not have even tried. So much of this is both incompetent and disrespectful. In fact one could be tempted to refer to it as acting out.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Cloudflare?

I was checking my ports and connections the other day and who do I see hogging them the most? Cloudflare, even after I had closed my browser.

I fixed that.

As for the WhoIs, if it shows the WhoIs Privacy Corp domiciled in the Bahamas is the website owner, than that's who they need to go after.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Cloudflare?

Cloudflare is the only US-based company I've seen so proudly host criminals and victims at the same time. I'm surprised that the IRS, a bank, or one of their shady customers hasn't made a messy situation yet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some sort of shell company in Russia to be the official owner of the sites would seem to be in order. The sooner Elsevier's business implodes, the better for humanity. Parasitic scum.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you!

Various titbits of info in the article has been rather useful for those not fully versed in the world of book search!

8. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

This is all academic anyway.

9. Stevie

Bah!

Run 'em out, Mr Christian, and Marines into the fightin' tops if you will.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Assuming they {Cloudflare) kept the records all they can disclose is what someone, who they don't know and wouldn't be able to recognise, typed into a computer somewhere in the world, something they didn't see happening. From that Elsevier expect them to give evidence of identification?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like