back to article Linux 4.9rc3 is upon us

Another week, another release candidate for the next version of Linux. Linus Torvalds has loosed 4.9rc3 on the waiting world, along with news that "It turns out that the bug that we thought was due to the new virtually mapped stacks during the rc2 release wasn't due to that at all, but a block request queuing race condition …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Today in Linux

We have merged slight changes to code for 100,000 drivers that you have never heard of into the kernel. No other changes.

We don't do kernel modules with consistent ABIs over a reasonable period of time for drivers because obviously our way is the best way and other OSes have got it all wrong. If it worked for me on my 386 25 years ago then obviously it scales up to today's use.

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Today in Linux

My understanding is that the constantly in flux kernel interface is deliberate, to "incentivize" vendors to have their driver maintained by the linux kernel team. If you don't submit, then your customers suffer.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Today in Linux

Customers would be better off with an installable driver they can use on any version of Linux and updates straight from the manufacturer instead of having to update the kernel to get a better version of a driver.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon