back to article Facebook ads in race claim

A new report is questioning whether Facebook's ad platform allows advertisers to illegally target ads at people based on their race. ProPublica says it was able to purchase and run an ad on the social network for a housing listing, and then use a feature called "Racial Affinity" to exclude users in certain racial groups from …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Oh man, another american multicultural pseudo-problem

Someone is being offended by something that is apparently race-based, this won't do!

Does it make sense to target asian suburbanites with cheap inner-city housing proposals? The hell it does.

And I thought the message was "race does not exist"... the hell it doesn't.

1. MondoMan
      WTF?

Re: Oh man, another american multicultural pseudo-problem

It would seem that race is irrelevant in your example, rather geography or household income or credit score would be the relevant factors. What's your point?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh man, another american multicultural pseudo-problem

I think his point is that race exists...I think. I KNOW that myself. For instance, who here that makes 50k+ a year and have seen a commercial for "Rent-A-Rims"? 40" rims on your Honda Accord...going right up. List goes on and on. Even starts at the supplier too, not just the consumer... "Get your nails did right by asians" (Forget they're probably Vietnamese and notice the lowercase 'a' in "asians"). Hell, even homosexuals that own bars are pulling this "Straights walk Bi". If your JUST straight, keep walking.

The whole world is full of this and it doesn't bother me at this level. In a way, it shows culture and thus helps preserve it. Of course, some people want everything to be fair and happy and all of us to be clones of each other. And of course, it is my opinion.

FaceB0rk is racially profiling? As much as I can't stand this deputized spy organization, they just blend right in.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Headmaster

standard advertising practices

" Racial Affinities feature is in line with standard advertising practices and is in fact intended to let advertisers post more diverse ad campaigns that can be specifically targeted at multiple groups."

Obviously loads of advertising agencies need to be prosecuted in very many countries if such specific targeting is "standard advertising practice".

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: standard advertising practices

The issue appears to be whether advertiser decides to using affinities for certain types of ads illegally. Some ad types do make some sense to target more specific demographics such as adult diapers for the incontinent who are typically elderly or baby formula to parents of infants. However, various non-discrimination laws have to be obeyed for some ads such as for housing.

2. Suricou Raven

Re: standard advertising practices

Translation: Pulling a Chick.

People respond better to advertising when the characters they see match their own race. So now you can make one ad with a smiling white couple enjoying your product, one with a smiling black couple enjoying your product, and one with a smiling hispanic couple enjoying your product. Then apply the magic of Facebook's super-specific targetting (That's where they make their money) and everyone sees the version of the ad they are most likely to respond to.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Mr & Mrs Zuckerberg

Has he run this past her?

Though I suspect it will be he who gets the adverts for low cost housing - is he still on a salary of $1 per year?

4. TRT Silver badge

What the f*** does Facebook et al think it's doing...

storing details of race anyway? Do I get 'labelled' as black because I searched for grape soda? Or because I joined a BME interest group? Or did I voluntarily give away my race in some sort of profile completion exercise? I don't use Facebook, so I don't know if that's even a thing - it just seems odd to me that they can even offer race as something to be targeted for advertising. What marketing category do I shift into when I start searching for heavy duty tin foil headgear?

Apparently Google, going off the ads they squeeze into the pages I view, seems to think I'm a black knitting enthusiast with a penchant for heavy duty drill bits, peonies and Doctor Who. They are only partially correct.

5. W. Anderson

American idiocy on race

It has been shown - unequivocally - in several very credible, USA/International studies that the USA has progressed significantly less in racial "equality", not tolerance, than either Germany after Nazism or South Africa after Apartheid.

Before the loonies descend on the post, none of these studies, by US Universities, WHO, Social research institutions said that Germany, South Africa or any other country had racial nirvana, only that they had made more progress toward racial equality ideal.

The USA however, in on another planet - denial of facts, reality and a nut-case Presidential candidate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: American idiocy on race

A big part of the US Race Problem is that back in the 50's, when "The Red Scare" was a thing, our lords and masters could not allow anything remotely Marxist to be accurate. So our class-based problems had to be race-based. They didn't actually change anything, they basically did a s/poor/black in the reports.

I'm not saying that the US didn't/doesn't have race problems, just that they were magnified to hide/mask class problems.

Fast forward a few years, and we are trying to fix The Race Problem. However, having drank our own kool-aid, the US is making the problem a bit worse. We have an institutional race/class colorblindness and therefore most policies address the wrong problem, or only address the symptoms rather than the cause.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am particularly offended by all the magazines for black people. Racist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon