back to article Disaster in Cupertino: Apple only made US$9bn last quarter

Apple once again saw revenues drop, as 45.5 million iPhone 7 sales were not enough to boost its fourth-quarter earnings. CEO Tim Cook talked up the particularly strong performance of Apple's internet services while glossing over another quarter of falling revenues. "Our strong September quarter results cap a very successful …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the grand scheme of things, only this counts:

Non-GAAP earnings per share were $1.68, topping analyst predictions of $1.65.

You top analyst predictions, your stock price goes up.

Now if I could get that much per share in dividends, I wouldn't need to work as much. Alas some of that goes to taxes and is kept outside of the greedy hands of the US tax collectors, but still better than predictions.

Me? I do own stock, and I'm a contractor here. Love getting paid twice.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: In the grand scheme of things, only this counts:

In after hours trading, APPL was down 2%. Goes to show that even exceeding expectations isn't good enough for the arse speakers on Wall St.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

EPS was exceeded, but revenue was slightly below expectations....there's always something!

Apple shot up about 10% in a week when Samsung's shit hit the fan, which seemed a bit excessive to me since I would expect mostly other Android OEMs would benefit, so it was probably due for a bit of a correction.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not if the EPS guidance was not seen as correct, and the market expected better performance, and so priced their EPS expectation into the stock prior.

Second they could be taking profits as the results tell them it is time to sell. i.e. forward guidance is not convincing.

Stock movement isn't always about the moment, or the isolated value of <pick some stat of choice like EPS> at the quarterly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wall Street compares to their expectations, not Apple's guidance. The guidance for the NEXT quarter will be taken into account, but only as compared to their forward expectations.

i.e., Apple guides x.00, Wall Street expects x.50, actual results x.25 -> beat guidance but fell short of expectations so stock falls

Apple guides x.50 for the subsequent quarter, Wall Street expected earnings/guidance of x.25 -> Wall Street raises their expectations and stock rises but now Apple has a higher bar for the next quarter

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Apple(don't)Care up, sales down

Made more money replacing Touch-diseased iPhone 6 at $400 a pop (likely profit of at least $250 per victim), than from selling new headphone-socket-less iPhone 7.

Apple needs to install the patented Acme Decision Inverter. It's a utility that monitors print jobs and emails originating from the executive offices. Any document or email containing executive decisions or directives have their sense inverted by the automatic insertion or deletion of the word 'not' everywhere required. This ADI system can instantly take a company or corporation where virtually all the decisions are wrong, to having all their decisions corrected (i.e. inverted) automatically. Tim *really* needs this.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

And none of it...

... FOR YOU!

5. Pugwash69

Before or after tax? Oh, probably the same anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like