back to article US judge rubber-stamps Volkswagen's 'Dieselgate' settlement

Volkswagen's proposed US “Dieselgate” remedies can go into effect, a US judge said, approving the disgraced auto-maker's US$14.7 billion settlement. Charles Breyer of the US District Court in San Francisco signed off on VW's offer to around 475,000 owners of 2-litre diesel Audis and Volkswagens that ran software to deliver low …

1. jgarry

Aaaaaannnndddd...

The people who sold their cars are getting screwed, while the people who bought those cars are getting a windfall?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'The people who sold their cars are getting screwed'

And no jail time for anybody... Yay!!

I'm just one amoeba in a billion, but this case made me pause and drop buying a VW....

Cars are the greatest scam anyway, the depreciation alone from just driving the car off the lot is brutal!

1. Valerion

Re: 'The people who sold their cars are getting screwed'

And no jail time for anybody... Yay!!

That won't be true. There will be some poor sod of an engineer, who was merely doing as instructed by his management, who will go to jail.

2. AIBailey

Re: Aaaaaannnndddd...

The people who sold their cars are getting screwed

Not really. The people that sold their cars simply got exactly what they're worth. They didn't get screwed, they just didn't get handed a bundle of free cash. That's the problem with litigation-happy nations: people always want to benefit in some way.

Meanwhile in the UK, we just got a recall notice and some remedial work.

2. Herby

AND....

The lawyers get rich. If it were me with such a vehicle, I'd keep it the way it is. Better performance, and it passes the tests. What is not to love. The tests are all made up anyway, and isn't that the way we are schooled?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AND....

And in the UK, we get Sweet FA.

In fairness, I've had more issues with the Electronic Gizmos than the Engine (the latest, the interior aircon/heater blower/fan has packed up, a £500 repair due to integrated parts/electronic climate control) . For what amounts to replacing a fan, held in place by 3 fixings.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

For what amounts to replacing a fan, held in place by 3 fixings.

But... But... But... Sir... This is a Canbus driven fan and only a VW servicedroid dolt in possession of VW service software can magic said fan into life. Surely, you do not understand the greatness of the idea of stuffing everything up to and including lightbulbs with active electronics and losing any potential efficiency from replacing a lightbulb by having to have a load resistor added to the circuit. It is such a great design, you should be proud of buying it. CustomerShaftung durch Technik.

VW - no thanks. While I understand the idea of having CAN in a few places like engine, ABS and airbags, but the rest can happily work of a conventional wire harness. In fact, once both manufacturing and runtime (customer) costs are taken into account over the lifetime of the car CANBUS for sh*t like aircon, lights, etc is neither cheaper nor better.

1. getHandle

It was handy when it told me one of my brake lights had failed the other day... Just sayin'!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Devil

Not cheaper or better, but allows for Knight-Rider like blink effects on the indicators. That sells cars!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

"While I understand the idea of having CAN in a few places like engine, ABS and airbags"

Just wait until WiFi is cheaper than a wiring harness, or marketing can make it a selling point, and CANBUS will be dead in favour of a local wireless network for all those safety critical systems.

(only sort of joking - I bet it's been kicked around in meetings)

2. Snar
        FAIL

I had a similar event with a Vectra - Fan packed up and conveniently took out the controls, again costing £500 to fix. Of course, any designer worth his salt would have designed the electronics to detect a failed motor and fold back. But we are talking about an industry that is geared around hammering suppliers down on price and arse-raping their customers when something fails.

I also have major financial woes with various computers, handbrake, suspension, wipers and wing-mirror faults on the same car with a total repair bill of over £4k in about 3 years once the warranty had run out.

1. Faszination

You had a similar event with a Vectra? That'll be to do with the fact that it's manufactured by Vauxhall.

Was it accompanied by the check engine light and the 'LOL you bought a Vauxhall' light illuminating at the same time?

3. cd / && rm -rf *
    Mushroom

So what exactly are VW going to do with 475,000 used cars? Dump them at sea?

1. gregthecanuck

My business partner has one and really likes the car.

My guess is that VW will refit/modify the cars and put them back on the market somewhere. South America?

1. joed

I don't think so. EPA requires that affected vehicles be disposed off in environmentally sound manner. I bet it be actually better to keep them on the road, punish VW and use collected fines on e.g. setting up parks in cities.

1. dvd

Fixing them and selling them is the most environmentally thing to do with them that I can think of...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Fixing them and selling them is the most environmentally thing to do with them that I can think of

Or just re-selling them in a jurisdiction where the existing spec meets or exceeds the local emissions rules.

4. erhumdm

Once was a Fan ...

It seems equally scandalous that VW/Audi get off essentially scott-free in the UK (and guessing Europe too) where the same vehicles come in for a quick software makeover.

Mine is finally booked in for that in a few weeks. No doubt my great economy goes out the window entirely, value of the car falls significantly ...

While regulators will sit on the fence while they look for lobbying [more lies] from the perpetrator of the fraud ...us poor consumers are left to pickup the difference.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Once was a Fan ...

EU consumer law is unlikely to be set up to disadvantage the VW group in favour of the customer I suspect :/

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Mushroom

Also petrol cars made until 2019 will be allowed to exceed emission limits by 50% under EU rules. Manufacturers (i.e. VW Group) want to save money on a filter.

1. 8Ace

Also petrol cars made until 2019 will be allowed to exceed emission limits by 50% under EU rules.

To be fair that's because petrol particulate emissions are already an order of magnitude lower than Diesel. Meeting new even lower levels has proven to be a bigger techical challenge than first thought, slapping on a filter as the Gruniad implies is not the whole story.

2. AIBailey

Mine is finally booked in for that in a few weeks. No doubt my great economy goes out the window entirely, value of the car falls significantly ...

Mine was done about 6 weeks ago. TBH their claims so far appear to have been right - I've not noticed any difference in either performance or economy. As for the value of the car, that will only reveal itself when I eventually come to change it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

TBH their claims so far appear to have been right - I've not noticed any difference in either performance or economy.

Which shows both how pointless the tests are, and how stupid it was to try & cheat them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are plenty of reported performance/economy issues with "fixed" EA189 engines in the UK.

The VW / VOSA *voluntary* recall notification letter is a pure masterclass of ignoring the elephant in the room - lots of comforting, reassuring words about how acoustic noise levels won't increase, service intervals remain unaffected, and how dealers are always there to help you.

Not a single word about performance or economy. Unless they've magically redefined the stoichiometric cycle of a reciprocating internal combustion engine, something *has* to give.

They ain't never gonna get their grubby little mitts on mine...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There are some reports of problems with post-recall engines, but compared to the number of vehicles that have been fixed, they're little more than background noise.

You obviously got a different letter to me. Mine specifically stated that there was to be no change in performance and economy, and since the work was carried out the car drives exactly as it did before.

It did "claim" that this was down to advances in diesel engine technology that wasn't available at the time the car was made (2011 in my case), and that does have a whiff of BS about it. However I my case I've noticed no change in the characteristics of the car at all.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Mine is finally booked in for that in a few weeks. No doubt my great economy goes out the window entirely, value of the car falls significantly ..."

You could always take it to the small claims court for whatever the maximum is now based on fraudulent advertising claims and loss of value, both of which would be hard to defend against. Most likely they'd settle up with you rather than set a precedent.

4. annodomini2

Different regs, in the US it was in breach of the regulations, in Europe it wasn't 'in the spirit' of the regulations.

The US regs specifically state no bypass mechanisms, the EU ones don't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon