back to article Asus M930 Windows Mobile smartphone

Asus has clearly decided that if it can't distinguish its phones from others in the market by way of software or styling, it'll do so by forging them out of solid granite. We thought the P750 was a well bolted together bit of kit. However, it feels like a badly assembled Airfix model next to the M930, a device that you could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Cook

Shame

A very nice hardware design, rendered completely pointless - and, I'd guess, customerless - by being built around boring old WM Standard.

Fit it with WM Professional and a bigger internal screen (with or without touch) and you'd have a very capable smartphone complete with full Office suite. If they couldn't achieve that at this price/form factor, I don't know why they bothered.

2. /\/\j17
    Unhappy

Oh look, another Nokia E90 clone

Impressive that el Reg manage to get through 4 pages of review without noticing that it look like a knock-off of the Nokia E90 - just with a smaller, lower res. internal screen (400x240x65k colours vs 800x352x16m colours).

3. AlTheITBloke
    Alert

Its a Nokia

Is it just me or does this phone remind anyone else of the Nokia E90? (Especially the keyboard area)

4. AlTheITBloke
    Alert

Hmmmm....

Is it just me or does this phone look suspiciously like the Nokia E90?

5. Nick Palmer

@Tim Cook

Fair point - one wonders why you'd spend the extra on this, over, say an HTC S730, which has Office Mobile. Mind you, I thought Office Mobile was standard on WM6 devices, Standard AND Pro.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toshiba Portege G910 is a better bet

Has a much better internal display and the keyboard is just as good

http://blog.whatlaptop.co.uk/page/whatlaptop?entry=reviewed_magellan_maestro_4245

7. AlTheITBloke
    Unhappy

Office Mobile

Office Mobile now for some reason only allows you to open and modify existing documents, which seems strangley odd?!?

8. Steve Foster

Internal Screen

Pity it's not VGA or even WVGA, instead of wasting all that space around it.

Is OpenOffice for WM available yet? :p

9. Paul
    Unhappy

Such a shame...

They spoiled it by putting Windows on.

10. Nick Palmer

@AlTheITBloke

Only the version supplied w/WM Standard; the version w/WM Pro lets you create new docs (indeed, I've used it for that on my Touch Dual). You can get around it in Standard, though, by copying blank docs to the device, modifying them and then saving under different names.

11. Keith Langmead
    Thumb Down

E90 competitor that doesn't compete

I would think the only people who'd want this are those who want an E90 on the cheap! It looks like they've taken the basic form factor, and then removed all the good points from it.

Smaller screen and lower res as already mentioned aside, having the phone only able to open to an angle is going to be annoying for anyone wanting to use when it is in their hands rather than on a desk, and seems like they've gone back to the old communicator style! One of the best things with the E90 is being able to use it at an angle on a desk, but also to open it completely when in your hands which makes it so much easier to see the screening while typing.

This is a phone without a market. At the top end people will pay the extra for the quality of an actual E90, and at the low end, there are better, cheaper and more functional smart phones already out there which do the same things better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like