back to article Iceland's Pirate Party tops polls ahead of national elections

The Pirate Party looks set for a successful outing in the coming weekend's Icelandic elections. A poll by local newspaper Morgunblaðið and the Icelandic Social Science Research Institute of the University of Iceland reports support for the Pirate Party is running at about 22.6 per cent, a point-and-a-half ahead of the ruling …

1. Baldy50

Pirate Party!

So are we to expect hoards of armoured, axe-wielding blonde invaders to our shores again in the not too distant future?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Pirate Party!

I expect something fairly dissimilar. Affairs will be conducted by alternate blurring through myopia and hyperopia, a la Reykjavik 101.

2. Alister

So are we to expect hoards of armoured, axe-wielding blonde invaders to our shores again in the not too distant future?

You seem to be confusing Vikings and Pirates?

Pirates are the ones with the floppy hats, frock coats, pistols and cutlasses, who go Ah-Haah a lot.

1. Rich 11

Plus Iceland is a bit too chilly for parrots (contrary to popular belief, very few parrots are actually pining for the fjords).

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Also, pirates like hoards. Vikings come in hordes.

3. Unep Eurobats
        Pirate

"Pirates go Ah-Haah a lot"

You seem to be confusing a throaty West Country exclamation and a Norwegian synth-pop band?

4. DaLo

Not only that Vikings emanated from Scandinavia, not Iceland (although they did set up a home there at some point).

5. rcp27

who go Ah-Haah a lot.

I think you might have got pirates confused with Alan Partridge there.

1. Mister Cheese
          Headmaster

Definitely more 'aar' than 'aha' I think.

http://kindofsketchy.com/1/post/2013/05/grammar-pirate.html

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Interesting times

Pirates in Iceland, a minority anti-emigration party topping the polls in Lithuania, one of the TrumpTon pair as US president, Brexit versus the EU, and the FN riding high in France. Looks like 2017 is going to be an "interesting" year. Seems that voters have finally realised that no-one should take the current crop of politicians as anything more than incompetent self-serving wankers. Pass the popcorn.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pirates

Granted, often the only similarity between pirate parties the world over is in the name. However, I once voted 1 for the Pirate Party in a local election. Their policies were more sensible than any of the other parties contesting that election.

When it came to the count, they were eliminated first. In particular, the candidate I voted for scored the fewest first preferences of any candidate standing in any electorate during that election. I can pick 'em...

4. phuzz Silver badge

The idea of privacy in Iceland is interesting when they have a national genealogical database, the Islendingabok, that allows people to check that they aren't about to marry their cousin.

How do you square the right to privacy, with wanting to know the genealogy of prospective partners?

(I'm not saying Icelanders are inbred, but they do have a gene pool shallow enough that they have to check these things).

1. toughluck

Simple

It's a solved problem, really. Everyone gets a unique ID and you submit that as a request along with yours. It then gets authenticated with you and with your significant other using a pre-approved phone number. After a week, you get a reply to a pre-approved e-mail address simply stating the request number and your relationship level. Requests against a specific unique ID can only be made after the previous request expires.

2. Alister

The idea of privacy in Iceland is interesting when they have a national genealogical database, the Islendingabok, that allows people to check that they aren't about to marry their cousin.

But that's because of the way they do names in Iceland - there is no family name / surname which gets passed down through generations, like most European countries. Instead, the second name reflects the male parent's first name, so if Bjorn has a son called Ragnar, then his name will be Ragnar Bjornson, and if he subsequently has a daughter called Agnetha, she will be Agnetha Ragnarsdottir. If Agnetha meets and marries a nice bloke called Anders, then their son would be Peter Anderson, and their daughter would be Malia Andersdottir, and so on.

5. SquidEmperor

Who will think of the Children?

Roger the cabin boy.

1. The Nazz

Re: Who will think of the Children?

I upvoted you, once i had stopped laughing.

The short ones are often the best.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I just like the idea...

...of The Pirates being in charge for once :-)

(So long as they are more the G&S Pirates of Penzance sort rather than the real 17th/18th cent. ones)

7. Roj Blake Silver badge
    Headmaster

Double Negatives Ahoy

"That won't be not enough for Píratar, the party's Icelandic name, to take government."

Isn't that the same as saying that it will be enough for them to form a government?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like