back to article Government Digital Service under review after rural payments cockup

Whitehall's spending watchdog is to review the achievements of the Government Digital Service in light of the Rural Payments Agency's IT disaster. In an update note on the Rural Payments Agency's Common Agricultural Policy IT system on Monday, the National Audit Office said it will shortly be undertaking a review of GDS's …

1. Pseudonymous Clown Art

Conspiracy Alert

This is why broadband rollouts in rural areas are miserable.

Its to stop a farmer uprising.

That said, farmers block the roads all the time in slow tractors. So slow internet for farmers seems proportional.

Anyone ever been stuck behind a farmer on the internet? I don't venture into the rural areas of the internet very often.

Is it true that it smells of horseshit and there are wide open websites there?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Conspiracy Alert

Are you local? This is a local Internet for local people,,,

2. fruitoftheloon
      Stop

@ Pseudonymous Clown Art Re: Conspiracy Alert

PAC,

yep, it's a bitch, 50 megs down, 100 up, here in a little village in the middle of Devon.

On a related note, I am regularly surprised how often farmers driving on the road often pull over to let other traffic go past them...

Ymdv.

Regards,

Jay

1. BebopWeBop

Re: @ Pseudonymous Clown Art Conspiracy Alert

Well other than your admirable bandwidth (I have a dedicated and very expensive fibre to microwave (I assume) link for high bandwidth work - BT provides an unreliable 1M download) I agree. Remarkably (or not so) tractor drivers generally do when the road allows. Visiting HGVs are another matter - hey why pay attention to a sign indicating narrow/unsuitable bridges when your sat nav tells you this really is the way to go?

It is visitors (remarkably frequently London based - OK just my unrepresentative sample of the three cars I pulled out of ditches over the last 18 months) seem to think that an imaginary lane can be magicked just for them.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Re: @ Pseudonymous Clown Art Conspiracy Alert

Sounds nice in Devon, but there's still sod-all bandwidth in Gloucestershire, 1MB down would be a luxury.

That said, our tractor drivers get out of the way as well. (Isn't there some law about them having to pull over once there's a certain number of cars behind them?)

2. davenewman

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the payments were made under a simple to administer system. But the English department choose a more complicated process, designed to keep big farmers who run the NFU and rural Conservative parties happy. Then GDS pretended it could implement such an over-complicated system.

1. James 51
      FAIL

You'd hope the relevant departments would be able to swallow their pride and ask for help (or at least look at the homework) of the regions were it went smoothly. Fat c(at)hance I know.

2. Halfmad

None of those systems were perfect either

but they were *better* than this incredibly expensive system which is costly to run now that it's installed. I'd be keep to know more about what savings, if any we'll get during it's expected lifespan..

3. Adrian Tawse

Agile

So, yet another Agile cockup.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon