back to article Acronis: Yep, we're using blockchain for backup now

Acronis's Storage software product for businesses and service providers uses blockchain technology to prove data has not been altered. Acronis, known for its backup software, uses the Storage product in its own cloud infrastructure, which has 12 data centres around the globe, protecting over 50PB of hot and cold data for more …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I see.

Nice. What took so long?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I see.

Seriously.

Thumbs down for an idea that stems from the 90s IIRC reading some IEEE mag?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I see.

All I saw was an advertisement.

2. Corporate Scum

I see Mr. Mellor was in a hurry to get to the Pub

95% press release, 5% content. Busted. You owe me an essay on Acronis use of block chain and how it relates to Ethereum's losses, or pint from your cut for shilling :)

1. Adam 1

Re: I see Mr. Mellor was in a hurry to get to the Pub

In my client's defence; it was Friday.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Blockchain, very useful to government authorities in tracking wouldn't you think ?

1. Mookster
      Facepalm

WTF has blockchain got todo with tracking?

It's just a glorified timestamping machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF has blockchain got todo with tracking?

>It's just a glorified timestamping machine.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-govt-looks-to-blockchain-tech-to-track-how-you-spend-your-benefits/

Wake up and smell the coffee.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

Well whoop-de-do.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Acronis backup scheduler continues to be the monumentally unreliable piece of shit it's been since they broke it good 'n proper in the first 2xxx version[1].

A halfway decent company[2] would concentrate on fixing that before piling on yet more unnecessary cruft.

I used to recommend Acronis, but not any more.

[1] It was always iffy, but that was when they removed the capability to work around it(!)

[2] They used to be great, but not now. The shark was truly jumped when they pulled all the status and logging in favour of email updates.......somehow forgetting that not everybody has their own email server...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like