Which flash array vendor will be bought & by who?

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

Which all-flash array vendor will be bought next and by who?

There are six potential buyers at first glance:-

- Cisco

- Dell

- HDS

- HP

- IBM

- NetApp

- and maybe (outside bet) Symantec.

There are ten buying targets at first glance:

- GreenBytes

- Kaminario

- Nimbus

- Pure Storage

- Solidfire

- Tintri

- TMS (looking for a partner/buyer already)

- Violin Memory (think looking for low billions price)

- Virident

- Whiptail

So who will buy who now that EMC is buying Xtremio and so out of the picture?

I'd think NetApp buying Pure Storage would be a goodish fit.

What do you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which flash array vendor will be bought & by who?

Simply on which they intrested much or trusted

2. advertiser

Re: Which flash array vendor will be bought & by who?

IBM and HDS will be mostly bought by users as I expects.

2. Chris Mellor 1

Forgot NexGen

Eleven targets - I forgot Nexgen who make shared flash arrays using Fusion-io flash cards.

1. Chris Mellor 1

Re: Forgot NexGen

And Avere possibly - it's becoming storage in its own right and not just a NAS accelerator. That's a round dozen.

3. Bagley
    Thumb Up

Senior Analyst

Great list, Chris. Agree that Avere should be on the list.

4. @hansdeleenheer

Some fits

I sincerely hope PureStorage gets another year or two. They really are on a good roll to get where they need to be but their market fit is still too niche. And please, no NetApp for them :-)

What fits for me?

Kaminario/DELL: Kaminario builds their solutions now on DELL hardware but the biggest reason is that they own IP without proprietary hardware. This fits perfectly in the Fluid story DELL brings.

NimbusData/HP: Scaleout/ScaleUp high performance on low pricepoint. Bigger market. Fits more in strategy acquisitions like 3PAR. Ready for market, handle integration later.

Maybe SolidFire is a better match for NetApp? one-size-fits-all, easy scaleout.

Others: FusionIO missed the acquisition boat I think. They should have been acquired by HP last year and integraded in Gen8 servers. This would have changed the server/storage market. By now they are too much integraded through other server vendors and will be to expensive. Violin could still be an alternative ...

In July I'll do an update on my Vendor Acquisitions & Partnerships post :-) http://hansdeleenheer.blogspot.com/2011/07/vendor-acquisitions-partnerships-v2.html

1. Chris Mellor 1

Musical flash array chairs

Okay, here is my list of with flash array vendor could be bought by which storage array/server system vendor. It is not predicated on any inside knowledge, being merely gut feel and guesswork:-

Kaminario goes to Dell

TMS goes to HDS

Tintri goes to HP

Greenbytes goes to NetApp

Pure Storage goes to Cisco

SolidFire goes to IBM

Then other entrants come to the party and:-

Whiptail goes to Nexsan

Virident goes to Fujitsu

Avere goes to F5

Fusion-io, Nimbus and Violin Memory stay independent.

That's my guesstimate .... for now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Some fits

Since when is Dell building for Kaminario again? Maybe back in 2012 timeframe when it was primarily DRAM blade form factor based, but the last Kaminario K2s I've seen were Supermicro servers and JBOD.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow 100% Flash success??

We've gotta have some failures, no?

1. Chris Mellor 1

Re: Wow 100% Flash success??

I can't predict a flag array vendor's gonna fail ... how could I ever talk to them again? They'll hate me!

Chris

6. Stylite
    Thumb Up

Right on target as usual...

Totally agree.. the flash appliance / array space will certainly be interesting next couple years.

7. Online Marketer

I am voting for DELL here because the main reason is ultimately they own IP without proprietary hardware.

8. palmerhunt

Dell and IBM could be.

9. eric_gd

why no Tegile in the list there? they seem to have a good AFA story too

10. jordandevin

All-flash storage arrays have pitted longtime storage vendors against pesky startups. This guide will help you compare flash storage products and decide if an all-flash array is right for you.

All-flash storage arrays may differ on capacity, drive type, networking options and storage-savings features, but the one thing they all do is improve performance.

The 15 flash storage product lines profiled in TechTarget's all-flash array guide claim maximum read IOPS ranging from 200,000 to 9 million, peak read throughput from 2.4 GBps to 46 GBps, and read latencies from 50 microseconds to 1 millisecond.

11. waltercarroll

To enhance performance, Hewlett-Packard Co. uses a flash-optimized software layer and CPU and memory In its all-SSD 3PAR StoreServ 7450 that differ from what it uses in the rest of the StoreServ family of products.

12. qwerty2002

That's a list of sales people.?

This topic is closed for new posts.