back to article Donald Trump running insecure email servers

US presidential candidate Donald Trump’s criticism of rival Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while Secretary of State appeared to have rebounded on him. Security researcher Kevin Beaumont discovered the Trump organisation uses a hopelessly outdated and insecure internet setup. Servers on the Trump Organization' …

1. EvilGardenGnome
    Trollface

A rumble in the distance...

That sound you hear? It's a multitude of 400lb hackers bouncing up and down on their beds in glee.

In their honour, forget the popcorn; get the donuts and Mountain Dew.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A rumble in the distance...

Hillary Did Nothing Wrong Mountain Dew?

2. Lusty
    Facepalm

Firewall you say?

I've got 17 top of the range firewalls protecting my mail server because it's super secret. All of them have port 25 open and nothing else, so they are very secure indeed...

1. Simon Harris

Re: Firewall you say?

Did he get the Mexicans to pay for it?

1. Trumpet Winsock IIIrd
        Pint

Chapeau Sir, and have one of these on me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No but he has the seven circles of hombres defending it.

2. macjules
      Thumb Down

“That's a bit like saying it's okay to install WordPress and leave it unpatched forever because there's a firewall,”

I think he summed up the attitude of just about every bank in the world. At Deutsche Bank the policy definitely was 'you can do anything, nothing gets past our firewall'.

3. James 51
    Joke

How many of them has he deleted?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Mushroom

..and could we maybe discuss Lady McDeath's "stolen emails" instead?

Yeah, it's fantastic, isn't it:

US presidential candidate Donald Trump’s criticism of rival Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while Secretary of State appeared to have rebounded on him.

It's pretty amazing that outright illegal behaviour engaged in while running the State Department, then lying about it, trying to shift the blame to Powell, and getting a free pass by law enforcement is now put on the same level as running an unsecure server when running for president (however ill-suited for that job, but the Clinton-level of "fuck everything that looks female" is there at least)

Says much about the sewer-grade "news reporting" one gets nowadays.

I'm actually expecting downvotes by Graun readers and progressive poseurs who can't wait to liberate Aleppo for the children by a no-fly zone.

1. Kiwi
        Meh

Re: ..and could we maybe discuss Lady McDeath's "stolen emails" instead?

It's pretty amazing that outright illegal behaviour engaged in while running the State Department, then lying about it, trying to shift the blame to Powell, and getting a free pass by law enforcement is now put on the same level as running an unsecure server when running for president (however ill-suited for that job, but the Clinton-level of "fuck everything that looks female" is there at least)

Yes yes.. We all know how much the FBI love left-wing people, especially Shillary HilarityHillary...

Oh, and as to "...outright illegal behaviour..."... Deleting emails, which the LEO have found no case to answer, or sexual assault of lots of women.. Hmm.. Which is worse.. Deleting some generally unimportant messages, or sexually assaulting someone.. Erm.. Gee, that's a hard one. Oh wait, maybe that's what the problem was..

Says much about the sewer-grade "news reporting" one gets nowadays.

Seems about the same level as the US election.. But I'm in the country with TVNZ and their "news", or that prick on one of the other stations in the mornings. The "news" organisations Fox/Daily Mail et all laugh at for their levels of journalistic integrity and accurate reporting! (yes TVNZ, your news sucks beyond imagination!)

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

[quote]Deleting some generally unimportant messages, or sexually assaulting someone.. [/quote]

Both are illegal. Especially destroying evidence after a subpeona and secondly since wikileaks revealed 2nd in command to US justice dept tipped off Clinton confidante Leon Panetta about the subpeona, its even more illegal.

When you are subpoenaed, you dont get to pick and chose what evidence you are going to withhold from law enforcement.

1. oldcoder

Depends on the subpoena. Usually it includes words like "related to" or "in association with"...

In which case it is perfectly legal.

2. Ammaross Danan

Let's not forget the classified nature of many of those emails as well. Storing those outside of government servers alone was "gross mishandling of classified documents" in itself. "Generally unimportant?" Not in the slightest.

1. Kiwi
              Facepalm

"Generally unimportant?" Not in the slightest.

And yet the findings of the FBI et al was...?

2. Goopy

And let's remember that only two of those emails were found classified Mark erroneously has classified so you're full of crap

4. Stevie

Bah!

Prediction:

"No-one is more aware of computer security issues than me" Donald Trump

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Re: Bah!

"No-one is more aware of computer security issues than me" Donald Trump

You forgot the "believe me!" ^^

5. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

Thar she blows!

OK then... where are those nice juicy leaks?

Why aren't there any embarrassing emails being passed around already?

1. Mad Chaz

Re: Thar she blows!

You mean more embarasing then his public statements? That'll be hard to dig up!

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

For Trump, embarrassing would be cogent policy documents, invoices from actresses hired to accuse him of sexual assault and forty years amicable correspondence with a Mexican imam, including an offer to sponsor his citizenship. I'm not holding my breath.

1. Stevie

You went too far with "cogent policy documents" there, Mr Grinder. There are limits to how far one can sink, even for Mr Trump.

1. JEDIDIAH
            Linux

He actually has public policy positions. Some of them are funny in subtle and not so subtle ways, but he does have them. He's not quite the caricature the media has portrayed him to be.

Actually the American media reminds me a lot of Internet trolls. Take something, distort it, then pretend that distortion is the truth.

He's much more of a mundane Republican than he's made out to be.

1. Number6

He's much more of a mundane Republican than he's made out to be.

In which case he needs to fire his entire PR team because they have failed to get that image across.

2. Goopy

An alternative fact or alternate fact what was it she said

2. shanen

That's because he would rather just blurt it out.

3. Gerhard Mack

"Why aren't there any embarrassing emails being passed around already?"

Funny thing about that.. The Democratic campaign admitted that when their server got hacked the attackers got all of their background research on Trump but somehow none of that got released by Wikileaks so far.

6. Philip Storry

It's cool.

He's got experts - believe him, real experts - looking at this right now. Ten years old, very smart - the smartest - and one might even be eleven.

*waves tiny hands*

And unlike Crooked Hillary, The Donald doesn't even know how to delete an email. He just doesn't know. But if he did know, he'd only be deleting emails from those people. You know. Those people.

*ahem*

More seriously - even if someone did break into his email, what do you hope to find? All of his bigotry and hatred is on Twitter at 3AM. All of his bankruptcies were public. His sexual assaults are somewhat public. The people he didn't pay for their work are common knowledge right now.

Oh. I get it. What's the betting at least one mailbox is just full of invoices from the company he stiffed for doing maintenance and upgrades on this system?

1. Stevie

Re: It's cool.

"More seriously - even if someone did break into his email, what do you hope to find?"

A couple of mails written in Cyrillic would be funny. Or one signed V.P. or "Vlad".

But I imagine it is mostly Memos to Self from Mimi Ditto.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

One of the things you will not find is an invoice from Paul Manafort. Paul does not charge the Trump campaign for his services, but I doubt that he contributes his time out of the goodness of his heart.

No need to hunt for clues in Trump's emails. Just check the changes to Republican policy.

2. Florida1920

He's got experts - believe him, real experts - looking at this right now. Ten years old, very smart - the smartest - and one might even be eleven.

As long as they're small for their age. He won't hire anyone whose hands are bigger than his.

7. Aaiieeee
    Unhappy

Buzzwords

That buzzword filled statement appears to me to be completely meaningless and designed to baffle anyone outside of the IT industry into thinking they are actually secure.

Its clever because any attempt to explain to anyone about IT security will be met with a yawn and a glazing of the eyes.

"I'm not interested in facts, dammit!"

8. cirby

So...

Which secure government server is he not using because he wants to hide from FOIA requests? And how much classified information has he leaked?

Oh, wait- he's not a government employee, and isn't passing around classified material.

You know, like Hillary was, when she used an insecure server to dodge FOIA laws, and when she put classified information in emails that went through it, instead of using the required government system. And when she deleted tens of thousands of emails AFTER being informed that they were subject to government warrants and such...

1. Hollerithevo

Re: So...

You mean the server Colin Powell approved? And then hastily denied when leaned on? The server she set up BEFORE the rule against them was brought in?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, the other one - the one where she used BleachBit to delete all those emails that the FBI wanted to have a look at ;)

Of course, the real question now is: does Trump having his own private email server mean that he is less or more qualified to be the next POTUS?

Or, you know, we could just resign ourselves to the fact that modern politics has the nuance of a cereal box and about as much substance.

1. Stevie

Re: So... (BleachBit)

Isn't it peculiar that 'Hillary' knew so little that 'she' let all those hackers read her emails, yet 'she' knew enough to do a secure delete of "tens of thousands" of emails?

It's almost as if the 'Hacker' contention isn't true and 'she' (i.e. her IT brigade) knew how to secure a server's contents properly from prying eyes.

Nah, can't be, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The domain, clintonemail.com, was registered on January 13, 2009 -- AFTER she accepted the position of Secretary of State (November 21, 2008), AFTER her appointment was formally announced (December 1, 2008).

It was apparently registered and set up immediately after she had been through the security training and found out that anything she did on a government account was discoverable.

The rule against was government use of personal email accounts went into effect in 2005, After Colin Powell, and before Clinton.

All of these dates are public, verifiable information. You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts - and the facts don't support your statements.

3. Eddy Ito

You mean the server Colin Powell approved? And then hastily denied when leaned on?

How could Colin Powell approve anything? He wasn't in government service at the time. Also he had a personal email account, not a server, and this was before the rule was in place. He merely advised the same and as he had not been in government service for four years he may not have been aware of the then new rule.

The server she set up BEFORE the rule against them was brought in?

While the server may have been set up before the new rules it has no bearing as she wasn't Secretary of State at the time nor is any earlier data subject to FOIA requests. Note that the new rules were in place when she did become Secretary of State and rather than follow the rules to which she was then subject, she did not.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Powell can approve of something without being in office. Dems like to excuse Hillary's behavior because Powell thought it was OK. That goes both ways.

4. steve 124

Was there a grandfather clause put into that law that said "well, unless you already have an unsecure server with classified emails on it, in which case carry on"?

Here's the thing, if you are doing something, and a law against it is passed, you're supposed to stop doing that thing... you know why? Because after the law is made, it's then ILLEGAL!

Even if Trump hasn't secured his personal email server at all. It only puts him and his business at risk, not American security, lives or national secrets. Believe me.

2. Blank Reg

I find it funny how so far, there isn't any evidence that Hilary's server was hacked or compromised in any way, yet the same can't be said for the official state department servers, not for many other government servers.

1. Stevie
        Pint

You and me both, Reg, you and me both.

2. david 12 Silver badge

~ The official State Department mail system was / notoriously / a POS.

It's clear that the Clintons had mastered double-speak long ago. And it's nothing short of ridiculous for her to assert the Trump is unsuitable because of his attitude towards women -- she had her chance to say that long ago when she was supporting a man who put the hard word on one of his interns. But...

... of course a technically competant organization with a history of opperating their own mail servers would have prefered that over what the State Department was offering. Yes it was wrong, but it doesn't need any other explanation.

1. Gerhard Mack

"~ The official State Department mail system was / notoriously / a POS."

As a mail server admin I can guess exactly what they are talking about by the amount of whining about features such as the 1 hour lockout of IPs that get too many bad password attempts By far the largest complaint I get is that my server passwords are "too complicated" meaning I generate them randomly. I have seen people create secure default passwords such as 123456, asdf the company name or even an obfuscated (l33t) version of the username. (Seriously, 3 different workplaces have assigned me the exact same secure password "G3rh4rd") And I don't even deal with a secure environment that requires VPN for email access..

So all of these politicians do what managers do when faced with an annoyance: they go off and bypass the restrictions by doing their own thing. They go off and hire someone to setup a new user friendly mail server for them only to learn that it's harder than it looks Security? "it has a firewall"

, document retention? oops. George Bush, Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton: All form of the same techno illiterate stupidity.

3. Peter X

It's not directly comparable to the Hillary thing, but then again, if you're going to run for president and try to give your adversary a hard time over her email indiscretions, then probably the thing you really really want to not screw up on, is your own email set up.

As we all know here, running out of support software is really not best practice, and is inexcusable if that software is internet connected.

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Which server should he have used

gwb43.com

Perhaps Donald did hire the best people to set up his emial, but forgot to pay them and they refused to do any updates without payment in advance.

1. oldcoder

Re: Which server should he have used

Since when have Microsoft servers for anything been secure?

The Windows admins tend not to know much about the fundamentals, much less anything about security.

5. BlackKnight(markb)

just like bush did when the republicans were running the show?

9. TRT Silver badge

OK, so this is how I learned about firewalls...

Hmmm...

PA-7080. Country of origin: USA

Type: Hardware

Year of Manufacture: 2016

Connections per second: 1,200,000

Firewall Throughput: 200Gbps

Max Sessions: 80,000,000

Base Price: $300,000

I'm going to pick... price.

What've you got?

Sonicwall TZ600 Country of origin: USA

Type: Hardware

Year of Manufacture: 2015

Connections per second: 12,000

Firewall Throughput: 500Mbps

Max Sessions: 150,000

Base Price: $1,800

Is it lowest wins on price? Highest? Shit. OK. You've won that one too.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So basically

His team proved to us with words what we already knew from facts, that they are completly incompetent. Fits with the boss they serve I guess.

11. MooJohn

He's just a candidate

Right now his campaign is run just like a lot of misguided small businesses out there -- just enough IT experience to cause problems. They got email up and running and called it a day when it could send & receive.

They could have outsourced the whole thing to almost any competent hosting company and they wouldn't have to manage anything themselves. This is a non-story because he's just a regular citizen. That would change if he was holding an elected office, and the criticism and outrage would be justified from that point.

As others have pointed out: If it's so insecure, where is all the purloined information? You know it would be front page, right next to the articles trying to convince Trump voters to stay home because Hillary has it in the bag already.

1. JustsomeBlokeinAz

Re: He's just a candidate

He probably deleted it all. I can't imagine someone like him holding on to any e-mails either and all invoices for payment probably go to a mailbox that deletes them automatically... handy thing outlook rules.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge

"Right now his campaign is run just like a lot of misguided small businesses out there -- just enough IT experience to cause problems. They got email up and running and called it a day when it could send & receive."

sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

Trump is a real estate guy, not an IT guy or an engineer.

(and he needs a BETTER I.T. staff - Micro-shaft servers? ew...)

3. Stevie

Re: This is a non-story because he's just a regular citizen

Not so.

It is established by long practice that we hold our candidates for public office to a higher standard than "ordinary citizens". Just ask the Do Nothing Congress. They positively glory in raking such people over the coals for infractions of character that would hardly raise an eyebrow in polite society.

Additionally, *this* candidate has held himself up as a barometer of competence and integrity. More, he has said in as many words that he is the Acme of such values, a line in the sand from which we should compare all others ("No-one understands [whatever] like me", "No-one has more respect for [whatever] than me", "No-one has been more successful at [whatever] than me"). Such a man cannot now claim the umbrella of "ordinary citizenship" to shield him from increased scrutiny.

So yes, it's a story, just like "Carpetbagger Clinton" was during her run for the Senate.

4. veti Silver badge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Trump's whole case for his own fitness for office that "he knows how to hire the best people to get the best job done"?

So showing that he's hired the Three Stooges to maintain a crucial piece of his campaign infrastructure - is kinda relevant.

12. John Deeb

Slight Hyperbole

"Windows Server 2003 ... went end of life *years* ago":

Mwaaah... extended support incl security updates ended July 14 2015. Which would make the core OS one year and three months and five days end of life. One could arrange for a "custom support relationship" of course but that doesn't include security updates.

Obviously this is all a irresistible honey pot waiting for liberal hackers to walk straight into :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slight Hyperbole

The word Windows alone indicates a honeypot to some hackers..

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... Have the Ruskies been invited to hack it yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They probably already have all the interesthing bits from hacking stuff that really matters like his various off-shore and holding companies.

This is a really low value target. Why bother.

1. Olius

"This is a really low value target. Why bother."

Because the low-value targets often contain a trail of breadcrumbs to the higher-value ones.

Maybe the server has links to other servers.

Maybe some of the credentials on there are the same as for other servers.

Maybe some malware could be installed on it which harvests passwords from Trump logging in to check his mail (you could even cleverly make it reject his password once, so he tries another one - now you have two passwords to try against his Linked In or Gmail accounts)

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

Nope. They're already the ones keeping these boxes up and running, although Trump's sysadmin does genuinely think its him.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You lot might sneer but you must've missed the bit about the firewalls running 24/7.

Oh, yes, unlike you noobs they do not disable the firewall protection for public holidays and overnight and for rest breaks. Nope they leave that sucker running all of the time.

Security turned up to 11 folks.

1. monty75

Where does he find such a hardworking firewall? Must be an immigrant firewall.

2. Loud Speaker

they do not disable the firewall protection for public holidays and overnight and for rest breaks

Has anyone told the unions about this?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"multiple platforms which are consistently monitored"

None of the platforms are monitored but at least it is consistent.

15. steve 124

How many State Department Top Secret emails does he have on that server? Oh, that's right, NONE.

<drops mic and walks away>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, they've planned for this eventuality....the 30,000 emails deleted by Secretary Clinton's people were backed up to the Trump servers...just in case she was losing, and then she could point to them as being hacked by the Russians and placed there for Donald to peruse.....

2. Apprentice of Tokenism
      Coat

Mine's the one with the Trump's email printouts in the pocket

"<drops mic and walks away>"

Wait, you forgot your coat! I'll get it for you. Is your's the one with the Clinton WikiLeaks printout in the pocket?

16. Rich 11

So lost

a point lost on Trump supporters

Does that take their tally into 3 or 4 figures?

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

This is actually a very clever plan

Everyone knows that Microsoft products have got steadily worse and worse, and suffer from more hacks, attack vectors and insecurities. After all, who ever heard of a cross scripting or heartbleed attack involving MSDOS? So Trump's IT setup is probably the most secure ever.

(Fingers crossed on my getting that Gartner job...)

1. m0rt

Re: This is actually a very clever plan

"(Fingers crossed on my getting that Gartner job...)"

In order to land that job, you need to predict the loser as the winner, then explain why your prediction was wrong...

Guaranteed cert, that way.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A huge firewall?

If its Cisco based then the irony is the Mexicans built it but HE paid for it.

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Failed !

Bigly

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A respectful request

In the same way that representatives of the late Mr Michael Jackson asked that he be referred to as 'The King of Pop' whenever discussed, can I respectfully ask Register authors and commenters to please refer to Mr Trump as 'Mr President King To Be' when writing about him, including any stories about the merry innocent fun he may or not have had with women young and old, single and in groups, over the years.

Thank you for your understanding.

22. Dave 13

Irrelevant

Irrelevant because he's not bound by law or US Government regulations on the subject, unlike Secretary Clinton was. If he wants to be an idiot on the subject - or any other - he's welcome to.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is it best in class?

Because it's got electrolytes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is it best in class?

Need to watch that movie again.

24. Potemkine Silver badge

Be-lie-ve me!

Believe me, Mexicans are going to pay for this firewall, believe me.

Mr. Powell summed it up very well: Donald Trump is a national disgrace, and the proportion of decerebrate, bigot and xenophobic inbreds willing to vote for him is astonishing.

1. Captain Badmouth
      Coat

Re: Be-lie-ve me!

"Mr. Powell summed it up very well: Donald Trump is a national disgrace, and the proportion of decerebrate, bigot and xenophobic inbreds willing to vote for him is par for the course."

Fixed.

Mines the one with the hanging chad in the pocket, thanks.

25. Kay Burley ate my hamster

TrumpOrg.com why not trump.org

lol.

1. Anonymous IV

Re: TrumpOrg.com why not trump.org

Why not trump.org? Because someone else [Registrant Name: chris puchowicz] got there first!

And it says:

"Vote NO to Trump

He wasn’t even organized enough to purchase this domain (or www.trump.tv) at public auction, and he wants to run the U.S.A.?

Days after I won this domain at public auction I received a letter from Trump attorney’s threatening to sue me for trademark infringement for purchasing this domain.

Guess who still owns the domain… not that guy."

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he emailed classified info, should be "in jail"

If Trump discussed any classified national security issues via email, by his own admission, he should be "in jail."

1. Captain Badmouth
      Trollface

Re: If he emailed classified info, should be "in jail"

If Trump discussed any classified national security issues via email, by his own admission, he should be "totally delusional, bigly".

Fixed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"big-league"

lol, you provincials.

27. Palf

CletusWare

Running on the River app framework with a Banjo firewall and Deliverance networking

28. mined

trumporg.com is running office365

Well, maybe not for everything, who knows, but the SPF is at least one of office365 from Microsoft ( spf.protection.outlook.com -all )

29. Sysop0
    IT Angle

Two Words for Trump

Xen (not Xenu, Unix spelled backwards!) and Citrix!

If you must insist on running the "Quantum Garbage" known as Windows (TPM) without any kind of firewall technology you can trust at least run it in a bloody hypervisor!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The primary difference between Trump's insecure email server and Clinton's insecure email server, is:

HILLARY CLINTON WAS SECRETARY OF STATE. A government position that is supposed to have transparency and auditing by the Government Accountability Office and the US Inspector General.

Your comments about Trump's insecure email server are lost on the fact that Trump hasnt held public office yet, under existing Federal Law that demands accountability and audit.

Just the mere fact that Clinton or any of her IT people could even delete emails written by the Secretary of State is a violation of those laws...

31. Lodgie

Small point to consider.

The email systems operated by Trump are commercial and do not handle classified government messages. People will not die if his servers get hacked.

32. mediabeing

Trump's a HUGE asshole. He's also remarkably stupid.

33. zipthegob

I wonder how long before the Chinese "Dump on Trump".

34. RonWheeler

Not a government official

therefore his problem, not a national security issue in breach of the rules.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like