back to article Here's how much HP's 3-in-1 PC replacement will cost you

HP Inc has disclosed pricing for HP Workspace, the Windows app-streaming service that allows its new Elite x3 business phone to fully replace a PC. Although Universal apps on Windows 10 mobile apps can adapt to run fullscreen with a keyboard and mouse, Workspace is needed to run legacy Win32 apps, which don’t run natively on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I have nothing to say.

I'm not the market for this device, service or it's price point.

But I do for some reason feel compelled to mention that. Perhaps because I understand how anyone would want such combinations...

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The per-user monthly pricing is $79 and $40, depending on how much Win32 you need. Both packages give you a dedicated two-core vCPU. $79 buys you 8GB of virtual machine RAM and 80 hours per month, and unlimited apps. The more basic “Essential" tier aimed at “mostly mobile” workers buys you a 4GB RAM virtual machine and 40 hours of app streaming a month, limited to up to 10 apps.

This isn't just not cheap, it's bloody silly. 80 hours... of what? If you assume that there are 21 working days in a month that gives 168 hours based on an 8 hour day. That's not a lot. Maybe it's 80 hours of CPU time in which case how is this measured considering that most software will maximise CPU usage given half a chance when it's the active process on a system.

$79/m comes in at $948/y and even if this includes "unlimited apps" WTF does this actually mean? That is has Office running on it? Well, you can get office 365 for somewhat less than this, let's assume $10/m, which leaves $828/y. So, enough to buy a reasonable spec laptop every year then. Particularly if you consider that the $79/m price only covers half the time that you are likely to need the device.

/confused

1. Ian Ringrose

Remember that all of Microsoft Office etc will run on the “phone”, hence it is only the odd custom corporate application that will need any of the 80 hours.

Then let assume that most corporate application applications have been moved to the web, so that only 1 in 5 numbers of staff need to use this service at all…..

This is a service for companies that are moving away from Win32 applications, but needs a short term solution for a small number of their workers. It is not a replacement for my laptop or your laptop!

3. Fuzz

Price

Who is going to pay £700 for a Windows 10 phone? Microsoft can't sell them for £350.

4. GlenP Silver badge

So what happens...

When you can't get a network connection, or it's so slow you might as well not have one?

The answer of course is it stops working.

I suspect you'd also need a decent data plan and forget it when roaming (outside the EU at least).

We'll stick with separate phones and laptops/tablets.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: So what happens...

>So what happens when you can't get a network connection... ?

Same as for any other application or task that requires a network connection, such as sending an email, booking travel tickets or consulting a supplier's online price list.

5. Mikel

Sums

So. $800 for the phone, $600 for the dock, $960/year to actually use it like a $400 laptop anywhere you can get Internet.

Makes sense to me.

6. YARR

The pricing certainly seems steep for both the device and the service. I would have thought any large business considering this service would want their own dedicated server that could handle virtualised Win32 apps for many users. This offering sounds more like it's targeted at consumers or possibly a small business / mobile consultant. The marketplace will decide...

7. ecofeco Silver badge

They could not have picked a worse process

Seriously, this has to be the hardest and worst way possible to converge devices.

WTF were they thinking?

One day your phone will be all the PC you need. You just dock it at the desk when you need to get serious work done or a laptop shell for serious field work. HP's solution is no solution.

8. FozzyBear
    Devil

Sounds like HP are targeting those managers that feel the need to brag to their mates "look what I've got". Also considering they have no clue it takes a pub full of tech support to hand hold them and fix all the problems they cause when someone isn't there hand holding them.

Or one clued in BOFH with a Hammer and a bag of lime

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear HP.

You've lost the fucking plot.

Good day.

That's all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like