back to article Microsoft keeps schtum as more battery woes hit Surface sufferers

Microsoft loyalists are up in arms over yet more battery grief with the Surface Pro 3 and that Redmond is, we're told, breaking promises on repair costs. These aren't the battery blunder reported in July, in which faulty software had a habit of draining batteries of juice. Microsoft fixed that issue with a software update in …

1. Yesnomaybe

Not experienced this

I bought loads of SP3 tablets and they have, as a rule, been fairly robust. The problem I have is that we still don't really know what they are good for. So although we have quite a few out in circulation, I still have a load of them sitting, brand new in their boxes. I am hoping they will turn into collector's items and regain some of the money I lost.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Not experienced this

I bought loads of SP3 tablets ... we still don't really know what they are good for.

Umm, why did you buy them, then? (and can I have your IT budget?)

1. Yesnomaybe

It was a bit of an experiment, I thought people would flock to get them. You can't have my IT budget, but I CAN give you a very reasonable deal on 20 or so completely unused SP3. And if you want, another 30 or so VERY lightly used ones.

1. Elephantpm

I know exactly what you mean. I ordered 60 in April and they have only just been delivered. The momentum of the project is rather low now.

However we might be interested in your surplus stock. Send me a mail

surface[at]elephantpm.com replace the [a] with @

2. keithpeter Silver badge
          Childcatcher

@ Yesnomaybe

Know any Cartoonists?

http://stirfrycomics.com/2015/03/05/surface-pro-3-for-artists-cartoonists-first-impressions/

Mind you, looks like a regression from the Surface Pro 2 that was billed as an Intuos killer by a doodler of my casual acquaintance.

3. Elephantpm

Re: Not experienced this - surplus

I have just received the 60 Surface 3 that I ordered in April. Unsurprisingly the project has lost some momentum. However I might be interested in your surplus stock for my school.

ma1l me at surface[at symbol here]elephantpm[dot]com

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You don't have $12Million dollars of unused Microsoft Office 365 licences too, do you?

2. Hans 1
    Windows

Bought Microsoft hardware? Not sorry for you, you got all you deserved.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Can you name someone hardware that is faultless ?

It certainly wont be Apple, Samsung, Dell, Asus, Acer, HP ( Were talking user consumable items here, not servers or networking hardware)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a feeling this all stems from Panos Panay's approach.

Nothing wrong with having faults with hardware, its how a Company deals with those faults, is key (and how the product was marketed). From the top down, this has all been done badly.

Here, Microsoft are trying to weasel their way out of fixing a hardware battery issue, by masking the problem with software. It hasn't worked, but in the same breath, buyers should have realised what they are buying.

The inherent problem with the Surface Pro i5/i7, its a very high power drain/charge device. It stresses li-ion batteries more, than say an iPad. Unlike a bog standard laptop, the SP3(and SP4) is designed to be untethered most of its life. These li-ion batteries just can't cope with these high drain/charge cycles over time.

When buying a Surface Pro, know what you are buying, a limited life (3-4yrs max) "sealed device", end of.

If you can't accept that, buy something with a replaceable battery, but don't moan when it dies near the end its limited life and be aware of the warranty period, at time of purchase.

1. greenawayr

Re: I have a feeling this all stems from Panos Panay's approach.

Isn't that the case with nearly every device nowadays? Even those with replaceable batteries generally will get replaced by the user after 3-4 years.

*awaits long list of replies starting "I've had my Nokia 3320...."*

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I have a Surface Pro 4 and I love this thing, it's what i am currently writing on and like of the other El-Reggers above i must admit to this being a great piece of kit...

Should we knock down Samsung for producing shit material just because the Note 7 was bad ( What about all their other stuff)

Should we knock down Apple for producing shit material just because you were holding it wrong.

Should we knock down Dell for producing anything ( almost ;-).

Should we knock down Skoda because their first véhicules were shit....

Ans as to the comment about not buying stuff which you can't replace the battery in, ... Non replaceable batteries have become the defacto standard for many of the "top tier" manufactures, whether we like it or not, that's called consumerism and we all play a part...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Nothing wrong with having faults with hardware.

Eh? A bit late if it's a diving regulator, seatbelt, rocket component, ABS brakes, pharmaceuticals - the list goes on.

>its how a Company deals with those faults

Not much use if the hardware fault caused your death, who are you going to complain to, St Peter ?

I do miss the old gravestone icon, most handy.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

In that case, bluntly, it's how many deaths you prevent that matters and why there are strict safety standards, where it matters and why those standards don't apply to everything, otherwise you'd be so locked down/walking in treacle, in terms of rules/regs you'd never get out of bed.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>In that case, bluntly, it's how many deaths you prevent that matters and why there are strict safety standards, where it matters and why those standards don't apply to everything, otherwise you'd be so locked down/walking in treacle, in terms of rules/regs you'd never get out of bed.

Not really it's a case of what the bean counters have worked out what it costs to prevent vs what it costs in litigation. The classic case being the Ford Pinto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Cost-benefit_analysis.2C_the_Pinto_Memo

And of course the most recent example with software attempting to overcome hardware shortfalls, the VW diesel scandal.

If companies think they can get away with it they'll give it a damn good try, profits first customer second.

The Able pharmaceuticals scandal:

http://www.in-pharmatechnologist.com/Processing/FDA-debars-four-QC-officials-over-Able-Labs-recall-scandal.

Or the Therac-25 debacle, a textbook example of poor code QC/QA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Yes people make mistakes we are only human but don't let corporations make mistakes by deliberate and conscious financial decisions that we may have to pay with our lives before they are forced to make the changes after the fact. When they are caught out it's some poor patsy having to take the fall while the real villains get away with it.

How many shortcuts are taken with your software for the sake of convenience and cost ?

2. TonyJ

"...Eh? A bit late if it's a diving regulator..."

Interesting you mention that - about a decade ago and before they were bought out by a much larger company, Uwatec built some of the early dive computers. One particular model had massive issues with the way it [in reality didn't) calculate decompression times properly.

It was apparently known to have been a factor in a number of deaths and injuries. And their apparent response at the time, because they were selling up, was...sit on it and pretend there was no issue.

I don't know what actually came of it all in the end.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@ tonyJ

reason I mention it as scuba is my hobby. There was a lot of issues with re-breathers and questions over the software and oxygen sensors, I'll stick to good old tanks.

Thanks for the support as a scuba diver my life depends on perfectly working hardware and software and it pisses me off when people come along with a blasé comment.

I had some downvotes, well they wouldn't be downvoting if they had a 100% oxygen hit at 70 meters thanks to shittily developed hardware and software, they'd be fucking dead. I personally know someone who had died in a rebreather accident.

1. TonyJ

@Doc Ock...I am a rebreather diver. JJ unit. The only fault I've had so far, funnily enough, was a stuck O2 solenoid. No drama though - turn off the O2 and drive it manually by feathering it. I could've bailed out. I chose the former and we called the dive and it ended well.

To be fair the only way you can get a 100% O2 hit is if you swap to the wrong cylinders manually. Not impossible at those depths given you're into hypoxic territory.

Your point is a good one though - I - like I assume you - see a lot of things on the market for divers and think wtf...?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

@ tonyj, I was never brave enough for a re-breather, however the person I knew who passed away was using a Buddy Inspiration.

2. Vic

There was a lot of issues with re-breathers and questions over the software and oxygen sensors

There was quite a lot of uninformed comment. We rebreather divers are given access to information from the various accident enquiries - that's why we don't worry about such things. The units are perfectly safe if you use them according to your training; They also appear to be extremely safe if you use them way outside your training and manufacturer advice - and that is why so many people have done exactly that. A very few have been caught out by that; it would be wrong to blame the unit for their accidents.

as a scuba diver my life depends on perfectly working hardware and software

Well it bloody well shouldn't. As a diver, you should be aware of the failure modes of your equipment and have plans to deal with them. Any single failure should be nothing more than an inconvenience. A dual failure is where you start to have problems. Planning is essential.

The phrase we used to use was "if you're going to have an accident, make sure it's in the pub". The GASCo boys didn't seem to think that was appropriate the other evening, though.

they wouldn't be downvoting if they had a 100% oxygen hit at 70 meters thanks to shittily developed hardware and software, they'd be fucking dead

Runaway O2 is one of the eventualities you are trained for. It's a trivial fix. Anyone getting injured by that has failed to maintain his skills to the appropriate level - that's complacency, and that kills.

I personally know someone who had died in a rebreather accident.

As have I. And although I am loath to speak ill of the dead, I do not blame the equipment for the negligence of its operators.

Vic.

2. N2

Its all faultless

Until the day it goes wrong,

I have a computer 10 years old working 'faultlessly'

I suspect you can guess who made it

2. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

To be fair, their branded hardware products aren't usually all that bad... it's their software that's almost invariably unspeakably, unthinkably, atrocious.

3. Yesnomaybe

Yeah but...no but...yeah but... The HARDWARE as such is OK. Haven't had any problems. I quite like the thing. I just very rarely use it. I use my desk PC. Or a laptop. Or my phone. One day, I am sure I will find some kind of use it is brilliant for, but now every time I pick it up, I just get frustrated after 10 minutes switch to something else. I WANT to like it. But it seems to be a solution to a problem nobody had. I have the flappy keyboard for it. Doesn't help much.

4. james 68

"Bought Microsoft hardware? Not sorry for you, you got all you deserved."

In my experience Microsoft tends to make* really good hardware (often reasonably priced also), it's their software that tends to suck dead dogs sweat stained dangly bits.

*Though the argument can be made that what they really do is brand other makers hardware.

5. greenawayr

@Hans, got a SP2 about 3 years ago, still solid as a rock, boots up in seconds, gives me about 5 hours screen on time still and can't remember a time that it's crashed on me recently.

Really nice piece of kit.

Haven't heard of many issues with the SP4 as far as I can tell either.

6. Squander Two

I have a certain amount of sympathy with manufacturers over this sort of thing. Social media means that it's very easy for a small problem to look big. How many Surface batteries have this problem compared to the number of actual Surfaces out there? That's what we really want to know. Even a rough estimate would be helpful. Otherwise, it's difficult to assess the situation properly.

Microsoft's failure to respond to people is another matter, and is inexcusable.

I've had two Macbooks which both had such a severe battery problem that they persuaded me never to buy Apple again -- especially since Apple insisted to me that the fault was a deliberately designed feature, not a bug, and demonstrated how superior their batteries are. I have a Surface Pro 3 and love it to bits, and the battery's absolutely fine. Is that because I'm part of the lucky minority who got decent batteries or is my experience the norm? No idea. It'd be nice to know.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

apparently you don't have to Buy MS to get the Surface feeling

Seeing the Dell XPS advert last night at least gives you an alternative

but they are still banging on about

'I couldn't do that on my mac'.

I wonder just how many Surface Pro users were Macbook users and how they are getting on with their 'so superior' devices.

Then we will see what MS is coming up with next for the SP4 is a few days followed by the new Macs two daya later.

Who will win the battle of the holidays?

1. PeterO
      FAIL

Re: apparently you don't have to Buy MS to get the Surface feeling

The Dell ad where the guy says something about needing a long battery life when going to places with no electricity seems particularly ironic :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: apparently you don't have to Buy MS to get the Surface feeling

I went from a Mac Book Air to a Surface Pro 3 because (ironically) the battery was near EOL in my Air. After trying to love the Surface I got an aftermarket battery replacement for my Mac and it's back as my primary machine (with Windows in Fusion)

The Surface was interesting, but too much of a compromise (bollocks to it being "lappable" and it was almost unusable on a non-Business aircraft seat) and despite being significantly improved in many areas Windows 10 is still an inconsistent mess - IMO these days Office is better on OSX!

Would I get another Surface? Probably not (unless they fix that huge gap with the SurfaceBook ... even then not sure I'd use the tablet much). Maybe a Dell XPS 13? Who knows... Either way hopefully the battery in my Mac should tide me over for a couple of years

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a thought...

...as i don't own one.

But many of those issues look like an ancient problem with a fix. Search for "plugged in, not charging."

Most common fix:

1. Disconnect the A/C power supply.

2. Shut down the computer.

3. Remove the battery

4. Connect the A/C power supply

5. Start the computer.

6. Under Battery... (here's the problem, Jeff--where is "battery?" I searched, and finally remembered it is under Control Panel, then System, then Device Driver, then Battery)

7. Click on Battery (at the top), and then right click on all entries that say Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, and select uninstall.

8. Shut the computer down.

9. Disconnect the A/C power supply.

10. Insert the battery.

11. Insert the A/C power supply.

12. Start the computer.

13. It should be fixed--thanks to Jeffrey Palermo! Visit his blog to read what others have experienced, and solutions for those with Samsung computers, etc.

Also removing ACPI from device manger (and sometime BIOS if an option) and letting it find it again can work.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Just a thought...

I couldn't do that on my Mac.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dan55 -You could also practice with a Terry's Chocolate Orange (now a scandalous post Brexit 157g not 175g if you hadn't noticed) to replace all those tedious battery segments in the new macbook, if you get bored.

It's about as good as Microsoft's "software fix" approach.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Flame

My I direct you to... Why the 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro still sells. It's the one fixable, upgradable machine not held together by glue that they're still selling. Everything else got glued up, Cook doesn't know how to take little Jony's glue gun off him.

1. cd

There once was a couple named Kelly

Who were forced to walk belly to belly

Because in their haste

They used library paste

Which they'd thought was ******* jelly

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

That sounds plausible, and worth a try. Thanks! I've had a few issue on Windows machines that can be fixed (if only temporarily) by uninstalling a device on Device Manager and then restarting.

It used to occur on optical drives when a damaged disc would stop Windows from using DMA mode. Uninstall, restart, drivers reinstalled on start up - job done.

I still get it on the SD card reader on my Dell, though thankfully I don't have to restart.

3. Pen-y-gors

Interesting. I have a Win 7 laptop with a cheapo replacement battery that stopped holding a charge after less than six months. I suspect it's just a crap battery, but I think I'll give this a whirl.

Sometimes the simplest and most obvious solutions are the best. (ha!).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade to a Microsoft Surface Poo?

When a name sticks, there is no way back, Microsoft.

Come on, Amazon didn't get to where it is today, doing "prolonging the problem" devious shit like this.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They were promised "just" $200??

And they were OK with that? You can buy replacement battery kits (i.e. including the screwdriver etc. you need) for an iPad for less than 1/5th of that, and even Apple charges $99 - half as much - to do it for you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are all at it

Wanting to imitate Apple for a fixed (not user replaceable, easily) battery, so as to force an upgrade cycle when battery dies. What a cheap and cynical world we live in !

Samsung just learned this bitter lesson. MS will soon join the list.

Who mentioned greed is good?

1. David Lawton

Re: They are all at it

My 2012 Macbook Air which i have used almost every day for 4 years still has ace battery, infact the best battery experience i have ever had in a laptop. When it hits around 1000 cycles and the battery is worn out, Apple will replace it in store for £109, so no need to upgrade, just get it serviced. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/mac-notebooks/repair/service/pricing

2. Sureo

Re: They are all at it

For the sake of the environment if not customer relations they should ban devices with non-replaceable batteries.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goddamit my intended recent purchases were a Surface Pro which I held off on until they resolved the power issues, and a Note 7 which got pulled the day before I was going to buy it. Anyone got a product they want cursed? I'll put it on my shopping list.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Cheer up, it seems you've dodged two bullets.

2. bharq

I guess you were planning on buying a Volkswagen?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

"I guess you were planning on buying a Volkswagen Chrysler with Takata airbags and a GE turbofan bomb engine?

You're welcome.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could you possibly announce you're planning to vote for Trump? Seeing his hair catch on fire during tonight's debate would make for great TV!

9. PassiveSmoking

You can't do that with a Mac

Wasn't one of the MS Surface ads about how much better the battery life was in these things than it is for a Mac laptop? Might want to sort this one out pretty sharpish guys, or the ASA might send you a strongly worded letter.

10. BazzF

Spro4 not too bad

I bought a maxxed-out SPro4 last year mainly for photo work. I was looking for a tablet to run on location but the crippled/feature-lacking tablet apps are pretty bad.

So loking for a small laptop resulted in a woeful choice. small seems to be equal to low-spec.

I never actually considered the Surface range until quite late (I tend to avoid Msoft wherever possible) but it's really very good hardware-wise. Of course it has Win10 but I can run my photo software very nicely and more, I can tether it to my camera so get a really nice preview on a really good screen. It's also light enough to run in a cradle attached to the tripod for studio work. SO much better than trying to examine shots on the camera's small screen.

After about 5 hours of shooting the battery starts to die, dropping to around 20% though so not perfect. In the studio though it's really nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spro4 not too bad

There are some manufactures that do full features and specced "netbooks" (See Razor for example). Thing is, they are very expensive.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Spro4 not too bad

Most are only 16:9, tho. Macbooks are 19:10, Surfaces 4:3. Exceptions are rocking horse shit.

Prove me wrong - citing a current machine! :) - and I'll be genuinely grateful!

11. 0laf

Problem solved with more customer money

Well you know what MS is really thinking don't you? Fix Surface 3 or sell Surface 4? Hmm hard choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Problem solved with more customer money

You think Surface Pro 4 will be any different in the same timeframe from new?

You're very much mistaken. It uses the same manufacturer for the batteries (LG), has the same high drain / charge characteristics, that damage li-ion cells, over time.

The LG cell size in the SP4 is 9% smaller too (though that should indicate the processor/screen could be putting 9% less work on the li-ion cells, for the same usage/charge as the larger batteries in the SP3).

1. 0laf

Re: Problem solved with more customer money

Yes, but at that point MS has sold you a Surface 4 = win.

This about fixing the problem for MS not the customer.

12. jms222

Macbook Pro experience

My MBPro is a 15" mid-2010 and still goes several hours on a charge.

It's had hundreds if that of cycles but still good considering Li-Ion goes so dramatically with time as much as cycles.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Macbook Pro experience

I don't think Apple Batteries are any better (very unlikely). I just think Apple have been doing clever things in the firmware from day one, so a '4-6 hour battery' should still operate at 80% capacity after 1000 cycles', i.e. how you manipulate the Petrol gauge to show the true capacitiy of the Petrol tank.

The li-ion battery probably loses its true capacity far quicker, over time - but Apple don't give you the true capacity to start with, only a figure (on day one) that is 20% higher than what it is perceived to be the true capacity to be over its working lifetime, say 2 years (their warranty period).

So the battery appears to lose capacity uniformly, over time. i.e. it's perceived to be better.

You can also extend the longevity by prevent constant charging when plugged in, where a battery is already charged to 90-100%, lots of little tricks that might not be visible to the end-user.

13. ecofeco Silver badge

Here' a crazy idea

How about they and all the other companies stop buying Chinese made batteries? (battery recalls links)

14. tekHedd

$1000+ paper weight

Something to keep in mind when you're buying electronics. Everything, sooner or later, becomes a boat anchor.

1. Roo
      Coat

Re: $1000+ paper weight

"Everything, sooner or later, becomes a boat anchor."

MS Surface widgets will make lousy boat anchors.

15. Herby
    Joke

What to do with idle SP3's

There is the possibility of making them targets. Fling them into the air when the battery dies ("pull") and aim with a nice shotgun. The report should be quite nice. Of course the Galaxy Note 7's might have better reports still.

Yes, a joke, but I suspect many are thinking of doing it someday...

16. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Business model

Microsoft have long had a business model, like IBM before them, and more lately Samsung of just putting all others out of business - especially Apple.

One strategy to do this is once Apple have put in a few years of research to develop a product, to quickly make an ersatz copy and try to undermine Apple and steal their advantage.

IBM also had this tactic as explained in Richard DeLamarter's Big Blue: IBM's Use and Abuse of Power.

Microsoft rushed out Windows 1, even before the Macintosh, but it was absolute rubbish, even though Windows 1 stole Macintosh code, which is why Jobs went ballistic at Gates.

Lately Samsung has been literally burnt by this tactic. Alas, capitalism says leave it up to consumers to decide. Most often consumers don't know the facts and background in making a purchasing decision, and are hardly concerned with business ethics.

1. Lennart Sorensen

Re: Business model

Where is the evidence of Windows 1 having stolen code?

You could claim the "stole" the idea of the GUI and look and feel from the Lisa, but it "stole" it from the Xerox PARC.

I highly doubt Apple let Microsoft have the OS or GUI source code in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like