back to article China's Shenzhou-11 capsule docks with Tiangong-2 station

The Chinese capsule launched yesterday atop a Long March-2F rocket has successfully docked with the country's space station. Xinhua News enthusiastically Tweeted each step of the process as the Shenzhou-11 docked with the Tiangong-2 space lab. The “Taikonauts” are due to spend 30 days on the space station, more than doubling …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done!

... a and I hope some people will be re-evaluating their decision to block China's participation in the International Space Station project. It is rapidly becoming clear that China is the only country both willing and able to actively develop manned space exploration programs (as opposed to talking about it). Pretending they don't matter is highly unwise.

1. Yesnomaybe

Re: Well done!

Agree. I think it is a bad idea to deliberately isolate ourselves from a nation that is willing to spend as much as the Chinese do on science. Very shortsighted. I am not a fan of China's human-rights record, but I think we should work with them to stand a better chance of changing that. I think that would be the right thing to do if we actually cared about human rights.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its the USA that stopped China being involved, I doubt it was human rights, since the US has a terrible human rights record, the big difference is China does it all in the name of progress and stability.. the USA does it in the name of freedom and capitalism....

When the next president is going to be Clinton or Trump, it makes you doubt the United States democratic system.....

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

As the ban was enacted by Congress through law, the president has little say in the matter.

from "CONSOLIDATED AND FURTHER CONTINUING APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2012"

"Sec. 539. <<NOTE: China.>> (a) None of the funds made available by

this Act may be used for the National Aeronautics and Space

Administration (NASA) or the Office of Science and Technology Policy

(OSTP) to develop, design, plan, promulgate, implement, or execute a

bilateral policy, program, order, or contract of any kind to

participate, collaborate, or coordinate bilaterally in any way with

China or any Chinese-owned company unless such activities are

specifically authorized by a law enacted after the date of enactment of

this Act."

with the exclusion clause of

"(c) <<NOTE: Certification.>> The limitations described in

subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply to activities which NASA or OSTP

have certified pose no risk of resulting in the transfer of technology,

data, or other information with national security or economic security

implications to China or a Chinese-owned company."

but also the rather ungenerous (no biscuits allowed?)

" (b) <<NOTE: Applicability.>> The limitation in subsection (a) shall

also apply to any funds used to effectuate the hosting of official

Chinese visitors at facilities belonging to or utilized by NASA."

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I doubt it was human rights as well, the bigger picture is often far weirder than we minions are led to believe. Isolation can stimulate innovation, Cuba being a classic example of mend & make do. South Africa armaments being another and now we see the children of Mao doing rather well in the fields of Space-flight & Fusion Power. Kind of makes you hope that North Korea is another control group like Albania.

2. Dom 3

Perspective!

Since Shenzhou 5 in 2003, China has made five further manned launches. Soyuz launched 41 times. Shuttle launched 21 times before the programme halted.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Perspective!

So? First man into space was Gagarin in 1961. In other words, Russia and the USA have a lead of 42 (ha!) years on China in something that is really, really hard - rocket engineering. China seems to do a pretty good job in catching up.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

My guess is: China will be the first nation to fly a manned Mars mission.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Pity they didn't make Europa back in 2010....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they will have a fully operational moon station long before that which will upset some people in the US.

3. kmac499

I've said it before but

Rocket Science Easy

Rocket Engineering now that's Hard;...... Congratulations and a safe return

4. Tom Paine

As long as they've taken a less cowboy, safety-last attitude than they used to... YouTube blocked here, but a search for "Long March Intelsat" will find you the most lethal booster accident of all time, in 1996. Final death toll unknown but official estimates in the hundreds were clearly on the low end.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like