back to article Samsung airport exchange

Samsung has begun setting up booths in US airports for customers to turn in their now banned Galaxy Note 7 phablets for replacement devices. The booths, which have been spotted at San Francisco International Airport, allow anyone who still has the recalled device to hand it in. This after the TSA ruled that it was illegal to …

1. tfewster
    Flame

Now _that's_ good service. Samsung might just turn this setback into good PR!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or, its a constant reminder for every traveler that Samsung made the only phone ever to be banned from flights.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

My plan...

Sneaks up to Samsung booth.

Reaches into basket and carefully removes a Note 7.

Joins queue.

Trades in pilfered Note 7 for a brand new replacement device.

Point being: Samsung staff had better realize that the discarded phones are worth a new phone.

Lest $17B become $34B.

3. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Sort of dumb, given that ...

'relevant authorities' and airlines have banned the Samsung device.

Given that this warning has been broadcast both loud and wide, most PAX would leave their little firebombs at home - rather than take them on a proposed flight.

I am keeping my employer-donated Note 7s (they live on my desk in lieu of a landline phone) but I did swap out the battery for a Panasonic unit.

From an engineering point of view, Samsung, in placing this battery sandwiched between layers of electronics, was an expensive compromise. Personally, I never buy equipment where batteries are inaccessible to the user.

To access the Samsung Note 7 battery I used a SMD workstation to heat up the glue holding the back panel. Then it is necessary to remove an electronics module (easy) to expose the battery. Finally, using non-metallic tools, and NO heat, it is possible to extract the battery.

The friendly Samsung service point I frequent (we have around 8 in Ho Chi Minh City/SaiGon alone), wouldn't take the battery out for me but the kindly provided a manual printout on how to complete the exercise.

4. s. pam Silver badge
    Mushroom

Why isn't the goon squad DHS...

Tasering or shooting them for bringing explosives into the airport?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon