back to article vSphere has been moved onto VMware's slow development train

VMware has finally shoved vSphere 6.5 out the door, more than a year after it was deemed good enough to run VMworld Europe 2016, eight months after its formal beta began and the better part of two years since vSphere 6.0's February 2014 release. Why the wait? Mark Chuang, senior director and chief of staff of VMware's software …

1. r4gg3h

"out the door"... when is it actually available?

1. TonyHoyle

Definately not out of the door.. I can't see anything but a press release hawking features.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

To be fair....

The web client needed quite a bit of work. A lot of people are clinging to the old client simply because the web client was, shall we say, 'performance impaired '.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: To be fair....

The Windows fat client was the lesser of the two evils. I've been playing with the HTML clients (vSphere & vCentre) since they started as early Flings, and I'm surprised that either are ready for prime time.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Still waiting

For an all encompassing client that has the functionality of both the web client and the fat client. I find myself bouncing for one to the other depending on what is needed...

4. Nate Amsden

yay

For me vsphere matured at 4.1. So sounds like maybe they stick with broken agile development model but buffer the pain of that model with much better QA cycles.

I'll still give at least one more year before kicking the tires on anything newer than 5.5. I am in no rush.

5. Simon 49

Maybe need to be clear here - the new HTML5 client is the replacement for the older (and Flash based) Web Client. This has been a Fling this year, and iterated every few weeks - it's not perfect / fully functional yet, but that team are going great guns.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like