back to article ShadowBrokers put US$6m price tag on new hoard of NSA hacks

A group thought linked to a Russian hacking outfit has moved to cash in on its cache of likely NSA exploit tooling, by offering it in exchange for 10,000 Bitcoins. The group known as "ShadowBrokers" wrote that they will release a password to a public encrypted cache of alleged NSA tools and exploits. It is the second cache …

1. Steve K

Password revealed

No need for 10,000 Bitcoins - I think they have already revealed the password -

" password is crowdfunding"

Steve

1. Adam 1

Re: Password revealed

That's the password on my luggage!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Password revealed

Thats not your luggage. Its my luggage. How did you get the password?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The NSA could undermine this in an instant.

All they would have to do is release the information themselves.

But then it would show all the rumours are correct and we can't have the powers that be loosing face now can we?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

we can't have the powers that be loosing face now can we?

I'm more astonished at the staggering delta between apparent super duper extra heavy in-depth scary hacking expertise and the inability to apply simple English spelling rules.

I'm sure someone will now claim that's deliberate too, but I'm not buying it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC and AC,

Sorry about that spelling. My post was after I had just typed a report about people leaving loose bolts in equipment cabinets at the end of a shift.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Always remember:

lose - what you just did

loose - your mum

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Catch 22 finds a Host for a Roasting?

The NSA could undermine this in an instant.

All they would have to do is release the information themselves.

But then it would show all the rumours are correct and we can't have the powers that be loosing face now can we? .... Ivan 4

Whenever one cannot counter and successfully dispel the rumour, is exhorted foul fiction exalted fetid fact and are all intelligence services supplying succour to the undermined and compromised, immediately discovered to be anything and everything but intelligence led. And that makes them easy prey and lame duck targets for all that is and all those who are.

And presumably GCHQ thought the following was a wise move, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/17/russia-todays-uk-bank-accounts-frozen-says-editor ....... although of course it could be just an exercise in a cyber war game beta testing an available false flag operation to try and reprogram problematic opinion and subvert/convert/pervert/assert an artificially created intelligence to a future narrated position.

:-) Shades of Minority Report type shenanigans breaking cover and polluting mainstream media wherever one looks for info on intel nowadays, isn't there.

And how understandable that the Guardian chose not to allow public comments on that broken news.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Catch 22 finds a Host for a Roasting?

I do wish down voters would elaborate and signify if they be garnered into public reaction because of a simple disapproval or a certain disagreement with either a part or the whole of a comment and contribution to El Reg.

Keeping such to themselves is more a dull secret not worth having than anything else, methinks, and that is surely rubbish and clutter by another name, and therefore a waste of space in any sort of brain place.

Please share and enlighten us all. The service is free to all ..... and in this day and age is that a rare enough treat to be enjoyed and supported.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

I'd chance a tenner on their motivation being to justly reward your wilfully obtuse vernacular.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Throwing Good Money after Bad

:-) Proof positive indeed, AC, if proof ever be needed, that the world is a crazy spaced place.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I do wish down voters would elaborate and signify if they be garnered into public reaction because of a simple disapproval or a certain disagreement with either a part or the whole of a comment and contribution to El Reg.

It wasn't me, but it may have something to do with the content occasionally being so hard to process it could justifiably rank as ROT13 encrypted or a vowel enriched variant of Welsh :). The post I'm responding to is quite clear, but the previous one was in places not that easy to parse (edit: the later one is easier :) ).

But I wouldn't downvote for that. I only downvote abject stupidity like supporting Trump without some damn good arguments (and I have yet to see any) *..

* Before idiots start squealing, that doesn't imply I'm for anyone else. However, Trump is not suitable in so many ways that his very nomination was questionable - what is emerging now has been known for years.

4. Captain Badmouth
      Holmes

@Ivan 4

"..we can't have the powers that be loosing face now can we?"

"ShadowBrokers is an interesting group that experts agree is likely a nation state actor....Its writers appear to be faking their lack of English writing skills with one linguist pointing to inconsistent and seemingly deliberate spelling and grammatical errors"

Hmmmmm.......

Ivan 4 sounds Russian too......

3. arnolf
    Facepalm

10,000 BTC

Wasn't 10000 BTC the price tag of a pizza?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Headless chicken pinning tails on elusive phantoms/Scarlet Pimpernels?

ShadowBrokers is an interesting group that experts agree is likely a nation state actor given its advanced exploit capabilities.

And they be asking for peanuts before releasing supposedly sensitive information, rather than just sinking a leaking and holed below the waterline vessel and moving on to some really innovative nation rebuilding programs with novel projects ..... IntelAIgent Sterling Stirling narratives?

What are those experts expert in, Darren Pauli, and how on earth are they in any way thought to be a voice to be believed with inside knowledge and loose association/an affinity with players exercised and evidently proficient in the wiles and ways and means and memes of any interesting shadowy brokerage group of which apparently diddly squat is either really or virtually known.

How easy is it for Relatively Anonymous and Practically Autonomous IntelAIgents nowadays, with IT and Media Command and Control levers, to hold collapsing ignorant nation states and dodgy arrogant fiat currency funding systems to ransom with precious little more than just the truth of their shenanigans globally exposed for censure/comment/correction?

And have a nice day, y'all, as things be tested for and to destruction all around you ....... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/14/cyber_europe_2016/

If it with AI wasn't so stunning a Great Game for NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive Play, IT would be a funny New Orderly World Order you could hedge around and pretend all is done for a laugh. But it is and it isn't. And everything in an instant can be suitably life threatening ..... as media is proving to y'all practically every day nowadays. And how idiotic of them is that ware/fare?

5. John 104

Engerish?

Its writers appear to be faking their lack of English writing skills with one linguist pointing to inconsistent and seemingly deliberate spelling and grammatical errors suggesting it is a false flag operation

Or maybe its the NSA wanting some extra cash?

1. Mark 85

Re: Engerish?

Maybe it's NSA using these as bait? It's possible that the release is "old" code and they have newer tools now.

6. Crazy Operations Guy

No one bought it, becasue why bother?

Anyone interested enough in the data dump to waste US$6 million on it would have the capability to just break the password themselves. Plus there is the whole "There is now a money trail" aspect, so they'd probably be willing to spend several million more on compute resources.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1XQpF6BM3KtVcQ1TxiL8nFfXEhK2wXmHh

From this are & do come admirable adaptations whereof the means is here in this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like