back to article Opera update draws the curtain on seven security vulns

Opera users should upgrade their browser software following the discovery of multiple security bugs. Version 9.5.2 of the Windows version of the software fixes seven vulnerabilities, including a startup crash that creates a means for hackers to inject hostile code on certain systems (details here). There's also a fix for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Opera, still the most secure browser.

The only browser to have zero outstanding vunrabilities..

http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=statistics

2. David Cornes
    Thumb Down

Bugfix?

Does it fix the shocking bugs in v9.5x though, including one where the download manager routines loses partially complete downloads between sessions? After reading the forums I ended up reverting to v9.27.

The first time I've ever been bitten by the version upgrade thing with Opera as well, and I've been a user since something like v5.

3. Gerry
    Thumb Down

Opera STILL leaks your history...

I liked Opera until I read this...

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28/browser_history_leakage/

But they still haven't fixed it, so it's still Firefox for me !

4. Not That Andrew
    Unhappy

Yeah, 9.5x is terrible

It may work better with YouTube (although I never had a problem), but it's SLOW, uses more memory than FF3, seems to have a memory leak and keeps corrupting opera6.ini . In short it has to be the worst version of Opera EVER.

5. Christopher
    Linux

Opera is brilliant

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28/browser_history_leakage/ doesn't state anything about Opera, it states all browsers!

Anyways as a long term user I prefer it and use it all the time and as it saves my tabs close it and fire it up another day to keep all my stuff there.

Its nice and fast (I will admit FF3 is faster) and doesn't hog all my memory

6. Dan Skriv
    Heart

Opera Love, ad hater

I used Opera for YEARS, but the Block Content feature is not nearly as nice as the adblock plus addon for Firefox, and with the steady increase in 'Malvertizements' Firefox seems to be the safer bet. However Opera is the only way to go on the media center hooked up to my 50" HDTV, it upscales websites better then any other browser worth trying (meaning I never tried Safari as Apple is pure crap).

7. Gerry
    Coat

@Christopher

Whatever the article says, Mike on Ads' test shows me that Opera 9.52 leaks my history and Firefox 3.0.1 doesn't.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Curtain Down until they fix the flaw.

Mine's the one with holes in the pockets and Opera tickets behind the lining.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like