back to article Oracle DB admins urged to swap their gas guzzler for an electric car

At the Postgres Vision 16 conference taking place in San Francisco this week, Ed Boyajian, president and CEO of EnterpriseDB, tried to convince attendees to abandon their Hummers for electric cars. Boyajian wasn't moonlighting for Tesla. Rather, he was peddling a metaphor in which expensive gas-guzzlers represent traditional …

1. Youngone Silver badge

And...

'we're deploying everything on this product, but we like what you have here, so could you give it to us at a reduced cost?'"

Oracle's answer will either be "NO" or if you're a big enough customer, "Yes".

They will then charge you the most they can get away with.

I'm guessing the guy from MasterCard has never heard of vendor lock-in. I just mention it because Oracle know all about it.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: And...

And oracle might just say here is mysql enterprise edition for a lower cost than oracle db. There are many times more users of mysql than postgres, look ma we do open source too.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And oracle might just say here is mysql enterprise edition

Won't work: MySQL is now a long way behind Postgres in features and strength. For Oracle it's a gateway drug to mainlining PL/SQL, but not appealing to people trying to kick the PL/SQL habit!

1. Nate Amsden

Of course it will work. You're developing your app for the db so you develop it for mysql. Converting an existing app can be more difficult depending on how the app was written but many apps already support multiple DBs.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Oracle's answer will either be "NO" or if you're a big enough customer, "Yes".

That's true for every large company I've dealt with, not just Oracle.

2. tom dial Silver badge

Oracle's databases don't pollute

That depends on your definition of "pollute," which in an Oracle context is spelled "PL/SQL."

I made a pitch a few years back for PostGres as a partial substitute for Oracle. We had the rather bad habit of making a new database for nearly every application and PostGres would have done for 90 or 95% of the databases we were running or planning, but for our other nasty habit of using PL/SQL for a lot of the application code. The savings from replacing Oracle would have been large, probably enough to recover in a couple of years the cost of translating the PL/SQL to PL/pgSQL or redoing the necessary code in another language, even taking account of the need to reanalyze some and retest it all. But it was a government agency with no tolerance for risk, where C-level management had come through a couple of years earlier and in "all-hands" meetings had informed IT personnel that IT was not a part of their core (finance and accounting) business. Rejection was almost instantaneous despite the fact that the agency was under considerable pressure to reduce operating costs.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Oracle's databases don't pollute

Government agencies are driven by politics and not value for money. The big vendors know that getting them onboard is an important part of selling to companies but they also know that they'll be able to milk them forever.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Oracle's databases don't pollute

There are a couple of PG wrappers to provide Oracle compatibility. Orafce and EnterpriseDB spring to mind

I feel your pain on risk aversion. It's often easier to simply go ahead and build a demonstrator than to try and argue that case.

3. unwarranted triumphalism

I'll be recommending that we use a DB provider that doesn't spew leftie green propaganda.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought that too. Don't these California types realise that not everybody aspires to drive a milk float? In the analogy, the large bore V8 would be the preferred database.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I thought that too. Don't these California types realise that not everybody aspires to drive a milk float? "

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (perhaps I need more coffee :), but FYI the Tesla P100D does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. There are plenty of videos on youtube of Teslas leaving pretty much everything on 4 wheels (and lots on 2) for dead. Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuOulH02bs

Despite the best efforts of some manufacturers with their piss poor half assed electric offerings, electric cars when built properly are seriously quick vehicles.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

electric cars when built properly are seriously quick vehicles.

For a while, but they can't stay the course 24/7. Put a Tesla in the Le Mans 24 hours and see where it finishes. Very nice car, but it has its limitations.

Much the same is true of the small DB vendors, OK for some light & nippy apps, but not to run a huge company.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"For a while, but they can't stay the course 24/7. Put a Tesla in the Le Mans 24 hours and see where it finishes. Very nice car, but it has its limitations."

Who cares. For road use and shorter races - eg Formula E - they're fine. The range has been sorted, now they just need to bring the charging time down to something closer to the time you spend filling up with fuel - laws of physics permitting - then there won't really be any reason not to buy one.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

So the metaphor is: Use our database. It'll become usable with future updates?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

laws of physics

laws of physics permitting

1 litre of petrol contains the equivalent of 8.8kWh of energy, so a regular fill of 50litres delivers around 440kWh. Deliver that in the 5 minutes it takes to fill with 50 litres, and you get around 5MW. Say 500A at 10kV. Nasty levels for untrained people to work with.

Standard motorway service station with, say, 6-10 pumps, that's a 30-50MW grid connection, or one nuclear reactor for every 40ish filling stations. Even assuming they aren't all running every pump all the time it's still not feasible.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Much the same is true of the small DB vendors, OK for some light & nippy apps, but not to run a huge company."

This is particularly true of MySQL...

4. gv

Let's deploy TrumpDB all round: I hear it's quite hands on.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

This article sounds unnecessarily snarky, must we assume the author has an interest in Oracle? Presumably the shindig in San Francisco pales in comparison to what he's used to when Oracle invites…

There are many situations where Oracle is the best solution and for which companies are only too happy pay even large sums of money. But the problem with Oracle, and SAP, are the licensing conditions where companies are forced to pay for stuff they neither want nor need in order for Oracle to maintain an army of sales people. Talk to any large Oracle or SAP customer and it's the contracts that annoy them the most.

Kudos to EnterpriseDB for recognising compatibility as a key motivation for companies to be able to move smaller projects. Postgres' rise in enterprises really started when Sun bought MySQL and there is now a healthy eco-system of companies providing add-ons and consulting for it and sponsoring further development. It's an open source success story and more akin to Openstack than RedHat. Many companies no longer fear open source nor do they confuse free source with "you're on your own".

6. PassiveSmoking

Stupid metaphors aside, Postgres is a very capable database, far more so than MySQL, and what's more it's not tainted by the whiff of evil that all Oracle products have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whiff of evil?

Whilst the company itself might have a dubious approach to selling and supporting its products, the Oracle DB itself is a first class piece of software. As someone who's used Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix & Mysql I know which one I'd pick for a production enviroment. Sadly these days I'm having to use Mongo. Jesus H, what a POS. There was a good reason relational DBs kicked the backside of key-value and flat file type DBs in the 80s and Mongo is once again proving why.

1. PassiveSmoking

Re: Whiff of evil?

I noticed Postgres wasn't on that list. Seriously, grab a copy and have a play with it. It's very Oracle-esque and on the whole a very nice database to work with. As for Mongo and other nosql solutions, I guess it just depends on your workload (though I personally don't care for them myself either, and it is rather telling that a lot of nosql systems seem to be trying to find ways to hack in sql-like behaviour).

7. tiggity Silver badge

Advertorial tag

These days quite a few articles on the reg could do with an advertorial style tag

This just reads to me like a PR piece more than anything.

8. M7S

"EDB Ark"

Is this a new term for any fleet that doesn't include A and C, which as we know will follow on later?

What manner of service professionals were on board D and E?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a brand problem not a technical problem

It doesn't matter if Postgres is better than Oracle since:

1. Oracle has the brand and marketing budget & hype

2. Postgres is a stupid name

Why are 'docker' and 'containers' and 'cloud' cool and people are buying them? It's because they sound cool, & people buy cool. Postgres is a shit name. Call it 'EpicDB' and watch it sell....

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: It's a brand problem not a technical problem

"2. Postgres is a stupid name"

Only if you're a young whipper-snapper who doesn't remember ingres.

When postgres was created, Oracle was a small also-ran in the business.

2. PassiveSmoking

And there was me thinking that technical excellence, reliability, robustness, strong data integrity features, strong disaster-recovery features and providing a rich, standards compliant API for developers were the really important features in a database system, when all along it's a cool name that really matters! I should just save all my data to a RAM disk and call it the Batman DB.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And there was me thinking that technical excellence, reliability, robustness, strong data integrity features, strong disaster-recovery features and..."

What makes you think the IT managers or budget holders give a shit about the technical capability of a product? It's more important that it's cool and has some Gartner support and looks good on their CV.

Like I said - branding is everything if you want to sell it to those who own the purse strings not the techies who love it's capability.

1. PassiveSmoking

Sell it? It's fricking free.

10. disgruntled yank

EnterpriseDB

EnterpriseDB's great attraction for Oracle shops is that it will run PL/SQL. So yes, I guess it is competing with Oracle.

11. jgarry

OK, car analogy

From what I've observed, a postgres project is like paying a dozen engineers for two years to build a transport device, verses going out and buying a truck.

Not to mention the maintenance costs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like