back to article 3,500 Verizon call center workers can't hear you now

US telecom giant Verizon says it will be closing seven US call centers and tossing the jobs of 3,500 employees in limbo in the process. The mobile service and network carrier says the sites in California, New York (two locations), Maine, Nebraska and Connecticut (two locations) will be closed and the jobs moved into other call …

1. Joe Gurman

Complete bollocks

"We value our Customer Service employees," Verizon said. "They are highly trained, skilled and experienced and they will be encouraged to stay with the company."

Anyone – anyone – who has had to deal with Verizon Customer Service reps know that however well meaning and desirous of being helpful the first-level reps may be, their accumulated knowledge is close to zero. Their positions appear to exist solely to deflect customers from speaking with knowledgeable support personnel unless they nag politely (or act out over the phone, which brings s supervisor on the line). They are by definition what customer service ought not to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We value our Customer Service employees," Verizon said.

They are however just humans and ultimately disposable.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Not just disposable - biodegradable even.

3. Mephistro
    Devil

Dear Verizon's customers:

WELCOME TO MUMBAI !!!

1. earl grey
      Facepalm

Re: Dear Verizon's customers:

WELCOME TO MUMBAI !!!

Hi, my name is BOB!

you almost got that...

4. a_yank_lurker

Note to self

Avoid Verizon as they will soon be using call centers in Vietnam or some other country were the natives do not speak English.

Peggy of the Discover ads has a better grasp of English than what they will hire. He would have been an improvement over what Verizon will hire.

5. DNTP

Frankly

I would rather attempt to disarm a live land mine by hand, than be in charge of attempting to integrate the WTF of contemporary Yahoo into the labyrinthine corporate organization that seems to be running Verizon.

And honestly either task sounds more fun than trying to get first tier Verizon support to solve a serious issue in the first place, but at least having to deal with reps with a dubious command of English can hardly make it worse, right?

6. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Confused on the concept?

Verizon's negligence is astounding...

Negligence? There just may be a difference between malfeasance, misfeasance and nonfeasance. The good governor might want to work that out before he throws any sueballs. I would have thought, too, that he would not be so easily astounded by corporate shenanigans given were he lives, but what do I know.

7. davcefai

Making Money.

"realign our real estate portfolio "

Does this mean "we can make a lot of money of selling the sites"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like