back to article Facebook Yarn's for your JavaScript package

Facebook, working with Exponent, Google, and Tilde, has released software to improve the JavaScript development experience, which can use all the help it can get. Yarn, introduced on Tuesday under a BSD license and without the patent clause that terminates Facebook's React license for those involved in patent litigation …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Cafu (noun):

The frustration of not being able to remember what an acronym stands for.

Douglas Adams, John Lloyd - The Deeper Meaning of Liff

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not another one.

There are too many utilities around javascript, the world doesn't need more it needs the ones we have fixing.

3. Extra spicey vindaloo

and.

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.a2ueb47d6

A good chuckle if you know anything about javascript.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and.

This is why in 2013 I managed to go from being a desktop dev to create a reasonable size working full stack industrial orders website in 6 months using ASP.NET MVC, JQuery, and KnockoutJS. At the time I made a lot of comments about how much i hated javascript - however on reflection I'm pleased with what I created.

In 2016 however I've so far spent about 4 months reading shed loads of bad documentation trying to get some of this new stuff to work together in prototypes and all I've really got to show for it so far is a very large headache - trying to remember what half of these badly named libraries and tools even do.

If it continues this way I'm taking up something else!

2. Sil

'How it feels to learn JavaScript in 2016' is so funny - or sad depending on your perspective.

I was wondering what all these Web engineers did, whereas we still have the same horrible web pages as 10 years ago, perhaps even worse with badly implemented infinite scrollling.

1. Spudley

> I was wondering what all these Web engineers did, whereas we still have the same

> horrible web pages as 10 years ago, perhaps even worse with badly implemented

> infinite scrollling.

Yes, but they're *so* much easier to deploy these days!

/s

4. Spudley

If you're going mention PHP's package manager as an example, you really ought to cite Composer rather than PEAR. Talking about PEAR makes it sound like you haven't actually done anything in PHP for about a decade.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why wont...

The hipsters stop...

Im so bored of new frameworks that promise to make JS easier to code and manage.

None of them deliver as far as I am concerned.

JS is, was and always will be awful to code in. No amount of lipstick will beautify this pig.

Im starting to get a bit concerned about it to be honest. Some websites use multiple frameworks which is causing a large amount of redundant code to be transferred regularly.

Whats the point in loading whole frameworks for a single feature here and there.

Not only is it clunky but it has various implications for security and trustworthiness of your site.

Not only that, it can seriously shorten the battery life for your mobile visitors.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Why wont...

JavaScript does not need frameworks to make it easier to code. It already is easy.

JavaScript is not awful to code in once you understand that any syntactical similarity to Java is entirely irrelevant.

I admit that it took me a while to understand this, which is why I wrote up a summary of what I learned in the hope of saving others a lot of bother.

-A.

6. Mage Silver badge

Real need:

Some sort of compiler like tool to check the source. Problematic as ONE text file might have

HTML (rendered on client)

Javscript (executed on client)

Then executed server side never seen by Client

Actual SQL (evil!)

Santitsing function calls in language of the day calling SQL stored procedures.

Coldfusion (perhaps dynamically generating javascript and HTML)

php

maybe even Java too

Oh how I hate web development compared to a program / app entirely in C#, VB6, C, C++, Modula-2, JAL or Java (Embedded system from scratch so much nicer than Windows /Linux and console or serivices with no GUI nicer still, though actually VB6 + OBDC at the end was a nice RAD test environment for XP).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yarn

A great name for stuff to get tangled up in, or are they referring to an unbelievable story

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like