back to article Facebook's 'Workplace' collaboration dogfood is now on your menu

Facebook has taken the wraps off Workplace, its attempt at a business-collaboration-as-a-service service. The Social Network™ says its been using its own wares in-house for ages, also has 1,000 users beyond its own walls and swears that anyone who has so much contemplated logging in now inhabits some kind of higher …

1. andrewj
    1. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes. Die on its arse like Yammer.

This is Yammer beyond the firewall.

What could go wrong?

2. joed

let's hope

this crap will not be forced onto outsiders (just because they held a job at "progressive" employer).

3. Ole Juul

not to my benefit

And probably not yours either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not to my benefit

No doubt Crock-full of added Telemetry and other such crap.

4. Magani
    Mushroom

Oh look! It's FREEEE!!

"...to extend collaboration beyond your company in a safe and secure way.”

Given that The Zuck has never done anything underhanded, dubious or sneaky to date, presumably they will guarantee this by adding its own snooping software to make it more 'secure'?

I foresee tears at bedtime.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I foresee tears at bedtime.

I suspect you won't even make it to bedtime before your world changing idea has winged its way to a better paying competitor...

I see this more in the general context of making the web somehow attractive for confidential work - I guess the hope of Google, Facebook and all the US snoopers is that we will eventually just forget that it's unsecure as heck. Not going to happen, but it is admittedly a nice try.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear ....

Given the increased proliferation of 'Management by Bandwagon' at my place of work (the C-crowd jump on a bandwagon and then the proles get flattened by it) I can see damagement being all over this like flies on a turd.

It will not end well ...

7. Novex

Really?

You, Facebook, want me to put all of my business's internal conversations on one of your servers somewhere so you can snoop on private, and most likely confidential and sensitive, conversations?

I have a finger, it's the middle one, it likes swivellers...

8. Dan Wilkie

To be fair, it doesn't sound like anything the standard Skype/Outlook/OneDrive/SharePoint solution that is pretty widespread doesn't already do? A quick look round Outlook and I can create groups, share crap with them, message all of them, video chat with them.

MS, if you're reading, you now owe me a tenner!

9. quxinot

..."probably know Facebook's interface pretty well, making Workplace a shallow-and-short-learning-curve way to introduce collaboration tools."

Until it changes again. Just like every other web-based... I mean, cloud-based interface out there.

Fortunately, that also applies to the price. And with luck, they'll mutate it a few times and then close the whole project, just like 95% of the rest of this sort of thing.

10. jimconnors

Workplace by Facebook is similar to other existing platforms like Jive, Yammer (now part of Microsoft Office 365), Hangouts. These channels eventually become noisy, employees lose interest (there is no incentive for them to use the platforms) and HR / Internal Marketing can’t seem to get their message across consistently nor are they able to address employee needs properly. I guess you already see the noise with your personal facebook accounts. People just want to post but not many listen. If you are looking for a metrics driven employee communication and engagement platform, pick one that provides two way communication with you having control over the targeting, makes content fun, and helps you provide incentives for employees to be engaged. Read more here - http://www.hu[and that's all we've got time for today, tune in next week – mod]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like