back to article Netbooks to steer mobile PC demand ahead of curve, claims Intel

Worldwide shipments of mobile computers will match those of desktops this year - and it's all thanks to the Asus Eee PC and its ilk. So said Intel mobility chief Dadi Perlmutter yesterday at the chip giant's bi-annual Developer Forum. But while that's good news for the Atom chip family, it's less pleasing for the folk behind …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. the evil ed

Agggh! Why does no one remember Psion?

I'm so tired of people saying that the eeePC has revolutionised laptops. No one remembers the Psion netBook? Released in 1999/2000, the size of an eeePC but with a bigger screen, better keyboard, longer battery life (8/9 hours) and more responsive software. Okay, it was expensive, but that's besides the point. The artcle says 'what Intel calls "netbooks" '. Well I think that phrase was well and truly coined almost 10 years ago. The world wasn't ready for Psion (or vice versa) but we could at least give them some credit!

2. Matt

re psion

that was a funny machine... but What I would love is a Psion 5, but with a colour screen and a nipple along with the touchscreen :) the dimensions (from memory) wernt too dissimilar to my eeeeee - that would be scc nirvana!!

I personally think th netbook thing is a bit of a fad... yes, they are excellent... and yes I do have one (and another as soon as the nano powered HP comes out - yes i can dream!) but I also have 2 laptops and a tablet - deciding on which to use depends on what im doing...

most 'normal' people will end up with a netbook as an incentive from somewhere, use it for a bit and then get bvored with either the linux interfase, or the slowness of windows after a while... case in point... one of my clients ended up with a beautiful Sony TX laptop from his insurance company - lovely machine, the best SEC (small expensive computer) out there, after everyone had finished oohing and ahhing over the dimensions, its ended up in a cupboard as the 1ghz or so single core processor just isnt what heis used to!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like