back to article FBI wants to unlock another jihadist’s iPhone

The FBI wants to crack into another deceased terrorist’s locked iPhone. Dahir Adan stabbed 10 people inside a St. Cloud, Minnesota, shopping mall last month before he was shot dead by an off-duty police officer. Daesh (IS) later claimed responsibility for the attack. Adan - like San Bernardino gun attack terrorist Rizwan …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More pantomime!

Yey!

1. Dinsdale247

Re: More pantomime!

I just can't believe people are falling for this charade. "Oh, look, we're the most powerful spy agency in the world but Apple Security (tm) has foiled us again. I hope the bad guys don't here me say that out loud in a press conference and start using iPhones because then we would not be able to spy on them. Again, I hope terrorists don't start using iPhones for all their secret communications because the iPhone is TOO secure for us to break."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"without saying which type of iPhone it was much less which version of Apple’s operating system it was running."

Well if it was a new one, surely they could use his finger... They've got/had that!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

your passcode will be needed for additional security validation:

- After restarting your device

-When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your device

- To enter the Touch ID & Passcode setting

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204587

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep, my android has the same fingerprint requirements, but unlike apple, mine can't be unlocked with a Blutak copy fingerprint.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"but unlike apple, mine can't be unlocked with a Blutak copy fingerprint."

But seeing as using Android for anything secure is like storing water in a colander, it's not really of any benefit...

3. Warm Braw

Opportunity for Samsung

I'm sure all those returned Note 7s would be ideal for the prospective jihadi - a multipurpose detonation and communication device that conveniently self-destructs.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Opportunity for Samsung

You mission, should you choose to accept it...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Not recommended, read clause 11.141 of the Note 7 warranty T&Cs:

"We cannot guarantee to spies and the like that the phone will not self destruct before you have received your mission instructions. Samsung will not be held liable for any costs associated with failed missions should this be the case"

1. TRT Silver badge

as always, the secretary will deny all knowledge. Good luck.

3. Goopy

Said as if that wasn't the purpose in the first place.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought.

That Nokia was the terrorists phone of choice?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought.

"That Nokia was the terrorists phone of choice"

By that, are you referring to an owner of a Nokia, or 'the owner' of Nokia. To Nokia Employees the definition of a terrorist/terrorism is somewhat blurry.

5. chivo243 Silver badge

Who ya gonna call?

This guy? He may at least have some tips for you?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/19/fbi_overpaid_999900_to_crack_san_bernardino_iphone_5c_password/

6. Richard 31

Killswitch?

I wonder how long it will be before we have some sort of secondary kill switch...

You get 10 guesses at the password or no valid code entered within $time_period = deleted keys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Killswitch?

Kills it such that the spooks can't get in? From a US Corporation?? You're in for an infinite wait.

2. Dinsdale247

Ten failed pins in a row on a BB10 and it wipes your phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Ten failed pins in a row on a BB10 and it wipes your phone."

Over 100 known security holes in BB10 so far says that doesn't make any difference...

3. Adam 1

Yeah, iOS already does that. Hence the San Bernardino incident. Otherwise they would have just brute forced it.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

unlocked ? WTF?

I know it is Friday but...

The title

FBI wants to unlocked another jihadist’s iPhone should have never been posted. Can the Editors care to explain why this gaff was let loose?

Meanwhile I'll have another beer as I look out on the Picos de Europa and a cloudless blue sky.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: unlocked ? WTF?

Beer'o'clock really, really early? Which reminds me. I'm out of beer. Tragic!

1. Geoffrey W

Sounds more like w(h)ine o'clock to me.

2. monty75
      FAIL

I had to read your comment three times before I spotted the error. Really must be time to go home.

3. Adam 1

They should have expected someone to commented on that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Thanks FBI...

Because the revelations/allegations about Yahoo! granting yahoo.com email access to the FBI/NSA/Justice Department hasn't cast enough global suspicion on the U.S. tech industry

9. ultrastarx1

how could the jihadists raise some funds.. give your bombers defective vests, with say 4 iphone 7's in. Open legit business charging ?000000 (lets say dollars) to crack a phone.. Oh goodness you allready have the key, and some mizzimformatoin, what larks lay ahead i wonder..

10. Stevie

Bah!

The Feebee is on record saying it didn't need Apple's cooperation to bust open an iPhone. All they need to do is give their iPhone guys a call and the problem is solved.

Job done, can't see the news story.

11. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Big Brother

FBI needs to stop "the lazy" and do REAL police work

The FBI just needs to stop being "the lazy" and do some REAL police work. You know, like the way things were BEFORE smart phones.

Bullying corporations into bending over and "saying hello" like a female bonobo monkey, and accepting whatever 'end around' in evidence rules that the FBI coughs up at themoment, is NOT doing things the RIGHT way.

Or maybe they just need to ASK NICE instead of bashing everything in sight with a (willing accomplice) judge's gavel...

[yeah this is about getting 'special investigative rights' and/or forcing encryption to go away]

of course, you KNOW that some non-US-ian developer will make it possible to encrypt WITHOUT Apple's help, and THEN the FBI can COMPLETELY pack sand. Their best bet: work WITH Apple, not against them.

I bet some clever tech can hook up a JTAG to the device and force decryption on all of the data using Apple's inside knowledge of the system. So maybe all the FBI needs to do is *THAT*, and play nice, and get APPROVAL from a judge to LET Apple do this, and not a commandment for Apple's legal team to object over, ORDERING Apple to COMPLY.

[and they can keep it all "quiet like" and not irritate Apple customers wanting real privacy and protection AGAINST unwanted gummint (or other) snooping]

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: FBI needs to stop "the lazy" and do REAL police work

"Or maybe they just need to ASK NICE...."

Yes, I'm sure that will change Timmy's mind. WFT - so they should betray their customers? For that Sir Bombast, Go Fuck Yourself.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does the FBI think this time will be different?

Seems kind of strange they didn't bother to mention what model it is, what version of iOS it is running, and whether it is using a passcode or password, when they did last time.

Maybe they think bringing this up again during the last month of the election might help put pressure on Apple, but I don't see any reason why public opinion would have changed since the spring.

I wonder if iOS 10 still allows software updates to be delivered in DFU mode? I was thinking that would be something Apple would address to block the FBI from trying to get them to produce a hacked iOS for it.

13. Adrian 4

May has them in her sights :

" a household name that refuses to work with the authorities even to fight terrorism,"

(from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/05/theresa-may-consigns-cameron-to-history-in-populist-speech)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: May has them in her sights :

Next, Zero-T-heresa May be asking Domestos to weaken their germ killing potential to catch would be criminals.

14. Planty Bronze badge
    FAIL

iphone, clearly the terrorist choice

Seems they love American consumerism.

1. P. Lee
      Coat

Re: iphone, clearly the terrorist choice

Fact stranger than fiction: Terrorists choose the phone which doesn't blow up!

On the plus side, knife attacks make ISIS less deadly than disgruntled American students.

15. streaky
    Alien

Let me save everybody a lot of trouble:

There's nothing on it. Again.

FWIW has the FBI never considered the possibility that jihadis might encrypt empty phones just to keep the FBI busy and off the scent of other jihadis?

16. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Flame

Ahem!

"....before he was shot dead by an off-duty police officer....." No. Jason Falconer is a part-time cop, but a full-time gun-range owner and NRA-certified firearms instructor, and was (luckily) present as a private citizen who happened to being carrying his licensed firearm. You know, one of those armed citizens the Obambi administration and Shrillary keep insisting we don't want nor need. Strangely, the mainstream media aren't being very quick to point out that bit (/sarc off).

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-minneapolis-officer-falconer-20160919-snap-story.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahem!

maybe this crack-shot marksman would have been better kneecapping this terrorist instead of killing him.... no, he's American, kill first, ask questions later.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: AC Re: Ahem!

"maybe this crack-shot marksman would have been better kneecapping this terrorist instead of killing him.... no, he's American, kill first, ask questions later.". Another know-nothing hater. If you had bothered to research the event before accepting a spoonfed opinion, Falconer fired each shot with a pause to allow Dahir to give up, and each time Dahir continued his attempt to attack Falconer, leading to the third and fatal shot. Falconer would have been legally justified in emptying a full clip into Dahir and killing him outright, but he tried to give Dahir the option of surrendering. However, I doubt those facts will enable you to overcome your prejudice.

1. Gnosis_Carmot

Re: AC Ahem!

AC also doesn't understand that as a part-time officer Falconer would have been trained to aim for the largest mass instead of trying to pull Roy Rogers trick shots aiming at knees.

17. TheGeneralcrow

From his cold dead hands...

You have the guy, you have his finger... you have a bowl of warm water BINGO unlocked iphone

1. Gnosis_Carmot

Re: From his cold dead hands...

Don't know about iPhones but the Android ones I've seen with the finger print scanner allow the choice of finger print or code. Given the courts have previously decided a person cannot be forced to divulge a code, and the more recent one of a person can be forced to supply a finger print, I personally would opt solely for the code.

Worst case - Now what was my code? Was it my birthday? My cat's name? My other cat's name? My dog's length and height? .......

18. 101

Can a warrant order the impossible?

Presumably, Apple has fixed it so there is literally nothing they can due to retrieve data. Or anyone else.

Thus, I don't see a court battle, unless FBI knows something they aren't telling yet.

I suppose one angle might be using this event as proof anti-encryption laws are needed. But, it still wouldn't help FBI in this case.

What am I missing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like